Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident Dead Mountain question

What do you think happened?
Zac Stahlhut Zac May 02, 2014 08:51AM
In this book he explains his theory as well as others. What fou think happened to those nine skiers?

I first heard about the incident on an episode of "Ancient Aliens". Wanna guess what they thought happened.

The book does a good job of disproving most of the more exotic explanations. And while it's own conclusion seems somewhat odd, the hypothesis is at least testable. Is there any reason why an automated monitoring station couldn't be placed at the tent site to see if the proposed conditions reccur. At the very least they could model it on a computer.

Happy 2021 to all. This is my first time on a goodreads discussion site and one the first things I see is a subject that intrigues me. I have read most of the books written on the Dyatlov Pass incident except the ones about aliens, and mythical monsters. I was convinced that conditions could have been present for what I remember was given as the reason for the demise of the hikers. In the book by Donnie Eichar, the conclusion is that the nine people in the tent suffered temporary madness caused by a Karmen-Street vortex occurence and left the tent fleeing an unknown danger. After reading most of what I thought was worth reading, I shelved the books but the questions stayed with me and I still think about what might have happened even still. I finally came to rest on what I think is a plausible explanation and what I think must have occured to others also. I think they fled the tent thinking they were about to be buried by an avalanche. The photo of the knife sliced tent side helped convinced me. There was no avalanche but the disrupted air flow caused by the K/S vortex made it sound as if one was bearing down on them and they reacted the way most people would when a split second decision is needed to ensure a chance at survival. Regardless of their state of dress, shoes or no shoes, they ran for their lives. A sad and terrible tragedy. May they rest in peace.

His explanation was pretty believable while I was reading it. Now, I'm not so convinced. There isn't really any explanation that seems likely.

Strangely, ten minutes after I finished the book, I switched on the TV and there was a documentary about the incident playing. This author was interviewed, but the program was pushing the theory of death by yeti. I used the term 'documentary' loosely.

What do you think happened?

Lanny I think any discussion of the incident should stay within the realm of intelligent observation and science.
Feb 11, 2021 12:53PM · flag

The author's explanation seems a bit "out there", but really, there doesn't seem to be anything else that comes close to explaining why they all fled the tent. Whatever happened, it occurred at the worst possible time for them--when they were switching out their day clothes for night.

About one hour ago, I was staring out of the window of an office building. Large snowflakes were falling at an angle coming down from right to left. However, for several feet in front of the building the snow was coming down from left to right. I don't know too much about physics and meteorology, but I can observe that wind direction can be affected when it approaches a solid object. I think that the conclusion of the book is plausible.

I think the explanation was very plausible, however, knowing Russia back then... I wouldn't be surprised if it was some nuclear testing, etc... What I found strange was how the government then tried to cover up to deaths... there was no need to split the funerals up and tell the public not to attend...

Lanny I think if there had been anything in the way of nuclear testing scheduled for that area it would have been off limits for civilians.
Feb 11, 2021 12:49PM