21st Century Literature discussion

2014 Book Discussions > Tenth of December - Tenth of December - Title Story (May 2014)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Pearce Discuss the title story here.

We start of inside the boy's perspective on life, in a similar way to the first story in the collection. Do you feel that this being the last story was deliberate? Why?

The fear of death is a key topic in this story. What does it tell you about fear?

message 2: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 2298 comments I do think having the first and last story see a perspective through the minds of children is deliberate. Nice bookends. I liked this story.

Is it fear of death or fear of living that is a key topic? It seems to me that both Robin and Don Eber fear living in the real world more than death. Robin lives in a make believe world. Don does not want to die in the manner that his stepfather did. He does not want his kids to remember him a man who needs their constant help and who calls them names.

message 3: by Shelia (new)

Shelia Rudesill (sheliaboltrudesill) I think this last story redeemed Saunders for me. It seems that this story was more about Eber than Robin. There was so much realistic emotion in Eber that I really got caught up in the story and can imagine myself doing the same thing(wanting to die yet clinging to life)in the middle of the horrible process of prolonged death.

This story is LITERARY Fiction. I'll elaborate on that when we discuss the book as a whole.