2021 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2014 > July Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3957 comments The theme for July is summer holiday. As always, the theme is completely open to interpretation.

Please nominate only one book and ensure you either link the book or give the name of the author as well to avoid confusion. You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your own. Nominations cannot have been chosen for a past group read (past buddy reads are fine).

This thread will be closed on May 25th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I would like to nominate Pompeii by Robert Harris because Vesuvius erupted on 24th August 79AD when all the Romans were enjoying their summer holidays in the region. Here's the synopsis.

A sweltering week in late August. Where better to enjoy the last days of summer than on the beautiful Bay of Naples? But even as Rome's richest citizens relax in their villas around Pompeii and Herculaneum, there are ominous warnings that something is going wrong. Wells and springs are failing, a man has disappeared, and now the greatest aqueduct in the world - the mighty Aqua Augusta - has suddenly ceased to flow. Through the eyes of four characters - a young engineer, an adolescent girl, a corrupt millionaire and an elderly scientist - Robert Harris brilliantly recreates a luxurious world on the brink of destruction.

message 3: by ❦Dawn❦ (new)

❦Dawn❦ (sunnyd1) | 180 comments I would like to suggest The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares about a group of friends about to part ways for the summer to their own adventures

Goodreads description:
Carmen got the jeans at a thrift shop. They didn’t look all that great: they were worn, dirty, and speckled with bleach. On the night before she and her friends part for the summer, Carmen decides to toss them. But Tibby says they’re great. She'd love to have them. Lena and Bridget also think they’re fabulous. Lena decides that they should all try them on. Whoever they fit best will get them. Nobody knows why, but the pants fit everyone perfectly. Even Carmen (who never thinks she looks good in anything) thinks she looks good in the pants. Over a few bags of cheese puffs, they decide to form a sisterhood and take the vow of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants . . . the next morning, they say good-bye. And then the journey of the pants — and the most memorable summer of their lives — begins.
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1) by Ann Brashares

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian I would like to nominate The Drive by Tyler Keevil. As its a road trip book which always reminds me of summer vacation...

Description:
A single call from his Czech girlfriend catapults Trevor into a serious crisis. Desperate to get his mojo back, he blazes down Highway 99 in a rented Dodge Neon.

But soon his journey to California is fraught with peril, and all he has for protection are a semi-automatic pistol, his trusty plastic visor and a flea-ridden cat. As the drugs and the heartbreak kick in, the question is no longer whether Trevor will get over his girlfriend's infidelity, but whether he’ll get out alive.

A fast-paced and hilarious contemporary odyssey, The Drive has all the adventure and surrealism of Hunter S Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas – but overlaid with heartfelt yearning and hope.

message 5: by Kathryn (last edited May 03, 2014 03:14PM) (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments I'd like to nominate A Thousand Splendid Suns, although I know we've already read a Khaled Hosseini book this year. But the title sounds ideal for a summer holiday, when you want warm sunny weather so you can go swimming! And I really enjoyed And the Mountains Echoed so am hoping this will be just as good.

The GR description says: "A moving story about two women set in Afghanistan. The book's story illustrates both the second class, serf-like treatment of two women and their subjection to physical and emotional brutality that was allowed, enabled and endorsed. We also get to see the bravery, kindness and self-resilience of these same two women. Despite the harsh reality of the story, the humanness and compassion shown by both women while trying to survive in such a brutal and oppressive environment is very uplifting."

message 6: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 117 comments Nominating Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek
Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek

The smell of warm tomatoes just picked from the garden = SUMMER. Also the cover is very summery.

"For eleven-year-old Ellie Sanders, her father has always been the rock that she could cling to when her mother's emotional troubles became too frightening. But when he comes under the thrall of the pretty teenager who raises vegetables and tomatoes for sale at the general store that he runs, Ellie sees her security slowly slipping away. Now she must be witness and warden to her mother's gradual slide into madness.

Told from Ellie's point of view, Tomato Girl takes the reader into the soul of a terrified young girl clinging desperately to childhood while being forced into adulthood years before she is ready. To save herself, she creates a secret world, a place in which her mother gets well, her father returns to being the man he was, and the Tomato Girl is banished forever. Tomato Girl marks the debut of a gifted and promising new author who has written a timeless Southern novel."

message 7: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) What's more "summer holiday" than Hawaii? ;-)
When I broke down my TBR based on average rating, this one was among one of my highest rated. Sounds really good!

I would like to nominate Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Moloka'i is the story of Rachel Kalama, growing up in Honolulu in the 1890's, who at the age of 7 is taken from her family and sent to Kalaupapa, the isolated leprosy settlement on the island of Moloka'i.
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver Prodigal Summer

Prodigal Summer weaves together three stories of human love within a larger tapestry of lives inhabiting the forested mountains and struggling small farms of southern Appalachia.

From her outpost in an isolated mountain cabin, Deanna Wolfe, a reclusive wildlife biologist, watches a den of coyotes that have recently migrated into the region. She is caught off-guard by a young hunter who invades her most private spaces and confounds her self-assured, solitary life. On a farm several miles down the mountain, Lusa Maluf Landowski, a bookish city girl turned farmer's wife, finds herself unexpectedly marooned in a strange place where she must declare or lose her attachment to the land that has become her own. And a few more miles down the road, a pair of elderly feuding neighbours tend their respective farms and wrangle about God, pesticides, and the possibilities of a future neither of them expected.

Over the course of one humid summer, these characters find their connections to one another and to the flora and fauna with whom they share a place. Prodigal Summer demonstrates a balance of narrative, drama and ideas that is characteristic of Barbara Kingsolver's finest work.

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 280 comments I nominate The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

The summer that Nixon resigns, six teenagers at a summer camp for the arts become inseparable. Decades later the bond remains powerful, but so much else has changed. In The Interestings, Wolitzer follows these characters from the height of youth through middle age, as their talents, fortunes, and degrees of satisfaction diverge.

message 10: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 805 comments Leprosy! I will second Moloka'i.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 261 comments How about Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I've been wanting to read this book for a while and Gilbert travels to three places I would love to go to on a summer holiday!

"Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence."

message 12: by Tasha☺ (new)

Tasha☺ | 874 comments I agree sisterhood of the traveling pants gets my vote

message 13: by Kristy 施玮 (new)

Kristy 施玮 (biblioeveryday) I second Eat, Pray, Love! I have been wanting to read this book for a while now. I haven't read a book where a protagonist travels and would love to read about it! :)

message 14: by Cam (new)

Cam Mciver (macnoremac) | 37 comments I would like to nominate "Half Brother" by Kenneth Oppel.
This book is about a family of three that adopts a pet ape for a project that the father of the family is working on. At first, Ben hates Zee, but then, he starts to love Zee like a brother. This book is definitely in my top ten, and I feel that everyone will enjoy it.

“I turned around and headed back to the stairwell, planning to go downstairs and buy a chocolate bar from the vending machine. Maybe it would fall on me and end my misery.”

message 15: by Reenita (last edited May 06, 2014 05:47PM) (new)

Reenita Hora (reenitamalhotrahora) | 2 comments I would like to nominate 'Operation Mom: How I got my mother a life and a man.' This is about a Mumbai young adult who embarks on a Summer mission to get her single mother dating again. That too via the online dating world which can turn out to be quite disastrous! Quite a hilarious summer read.

Operation Mom How I got my Mother and Life and a Man by Reenita Malhotra Hora
Operation Mom: How I got my Mother and Life and a Man

Goodreads description:

Ila Isham has a lot to worry about - the angst of being an Ali Zafar groupie and the extra layers of fat she has inherited from her Punjabi lineage. Add to this separated parents,an enthusiastic best friend, Deepali, whose idea of variety means dating three guys at the same time and Aunty Maleeka, mom's BFF, whose savvy skills throw up more problems than solutions.

Ila's life takes an exciting turn when she decides to hunt for the perfect partner for her mother. With a little help from Deepali, Aunty Maleeka and Dev of the inviting chocolate-pool eyes, she'll have to brave it all - from Lagaan.com and Ok-cupid profiles to handlebar-moustache colonels and middle-aged psychos, if she wants to succeed in her quest!

message 16: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6247 comments I will second The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Summer makes me think of travelling so I'd like to nominate Seven Years in Tibet

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) JuliaC. wrote: "My BF and I are headed out to the Grand Canyon area for our summer vacation this year.

What about books, fiction or non-fiction, about our national parks?

National Parks Shelf"

Sounds like a fun vacation and a great theme/list of books. Why don't you pick one of the titles to nominate?

message 19: by Renee (last edited May 14, 2014 03:30PM) (new)

Renee (renee255) | 23 comments I would nominate Looking for Me A Novel by Beth Hoffman . Looking for Me is written by Beth Hoffman. This is her second novel. It's a book set in Charleston, South Carolina and in Kentucky. Summer in the south is lots of green, humidity, fragrant flowers. This book makes me long for a warm summer afternoon, on a front porch with a cool glass of lemonade to drink.

message 20: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments I would like to second Tomato Girl or third it if someone else has already seconded it :)

message 21: by M.H. (new)

M.H. | 77 comments I'd like to nominate 'A Turn in the Road' by Debbie Macomber. It's a fun, fast read with unexpected gems of pithiness - typical Macomber!

message 22: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 784 comments I would like to nominate Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson. It is about a "delightfully irreverent jaunt" around England.

message 23: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3957 comments Thank you for all the nominations! The poll is up here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/invite...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.