Play Book Tag discussion

The Forgotten Room
This topic is about The Forgotten Room
Archive: Other Books > The Forgotten Room by Karen White, Beatriz Williams, and Lauren Willig -- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 4965 comments The Forgotten Room by Karen White, Beatriz Williams, and Lauren Willig
4 stars

I don't think anyone who knows me is surprised that I adored a book that was touched by Beatriz Williams's talented pen.

The Forgotten Room is a collaboration among three popular historical fiction/contemporary fiction writers, but it is not an anthology with each writer contributing a story. Instead, each writer anonymously writes about a different character in alternating chapters:

Olive Van Allen (Jones) is a servant in the elegant Pratt mansion in New York City in 1892. She took the position for a very specific purpose -- to vindicate her father's death -- but she can't seem to keep her eyes off of Harry Pratt, a talented artist and heir to the family fortune.

Lucy Young is a forward-thinking, ambitious woman working in a New York City law firm in the 1920's to find out the truth about who her father is. Her charming boss Philip Schuyler convinces her to have dinner with a client up from South Carolina, John Ravenel, and Lucy soon finds herself distracted from her task at hand.

Kate Schuyler is a doctor in a post-World War II New York City hospital, when the handsome Capt. Cooper Ravenel is brought in with serious injuries. She is determined to prevent him from losing his leg but may just lose her heart in the process.

Ah, historical romance with a dash of generational mystery. Throw in a mysterious portrait by an unknown artist and a priceless ruby necklace that symbolizes promise as well as lost love and I was a goner!

I listened to this one on audio and had a bit of trouble keeping the storylines separate at times, but it wasn't too bad. I often found myself frustrated that if the characters would have just been freaking honest with each other that everyone's lives may have been easier! But, no tale fraught with drama ever started with open, honest communication.

All in all, Beatriz Williams continues to do no wrong!

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Amiatu | 4117 comments It sounds fascinating! I'm off for a look...

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 4965 comments Susie wrote: "It sounds fascinating! I'm off for a look..."

Susie, have you read anything by them before? Linda and I are HUGE fans of Beatriz Williams and I totally encourage you to give her a whirl :)

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Amiatu | 4117 comments I haven't, but now I shall. Thanks!

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie Amiatu | 4117 comments p.s. Which one should I start with?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 4965 comments Susie wrote: "p.s. Which one should I start with?"

Overseas is her only truly stand alone novel, and it is a time travel romance. It is also probably her most romance-y.

The rest of her books can be read as stand alone but all tell the story of some member of the Schuyler family. It is definitely not essential to read them in order and characters overlap books in only a tangential manner, but if you are a stickler for going in order then you should start with A Hundred Summers.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Amiatu | 4117 comments I am indeed a stickler for reading in order! Thanks.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Loved this book. As Nicole mentioned we are both big fans of Beatriz Williams and have read all her books (well Nicole is one up on me because she got an ARC of her newest book). It's the highlight of my summer when her latest book comes out.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 4965 comments I am excited to have gotten an ARC and sad because now I don't have anything to look forward to this summer :( Maybe I will hold off on Fall of Poppies so it can be a summer beach read

message 10: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3463 comments I think it was Linda S who turned me on to Beatriz Williams (or was it you, Nicole R?) Anyway I KNOW it was a PBTagger. Another one for the tbr mountain.