Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
This topic is about The House of Hades
Archive - Award Winners > The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus #4) - May 2014

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Goodreads Choice Award Winner 2013 - Middle Grade & Children's Category

Book Summary:
At the conclusion of The Mark of Athena, Annabeth and Percy tumble into a pit leading straight to the Underworld. The other five demigods have to put aside their grief and follow Percy’s instructions to find the mortal side of the Doors of Death. If they can fight their way through the Gaea’s forces, and Percy and Annabeth can survive the House of Hades, then the Seven will be able to seal the Doors both sides and prevent the giants from raising Gaea. But, Leo wonders, if the Doors are sealed, how will Percy and Annabeth be able to escape?

They have no choice. If the demigods don’t succeed, Gaea’s armies will never die. They have no time. In about a month, the Romans will march on Camp Half-Blood. The stakes are higher than ever in this adventure that dives into the depths of Tartarus.

PLEASE NOTE: This is part of a series with a continuing story line (that this group read last year) and not a stand alone book.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5832 comments Mod
I'm only on book 2. I'm going to be late to this one.

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
I want to dive into this one (loved the rest of the series) but I've promised myself I'd wait until the next one comes out later in the year.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's not my favorite series. I sort of use them as fillers. I'll get through them eventually. :)

Diana Gotsch | 37 comments Just picked this up at the library.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 02, 2014 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RitaSkeeter wrote: "I had intended to join in on this read. I read all the Percy Jackson series earlier this year and then intended to start this series but I'm all Percy Jackson'd out after the first series. Maybe ..."

I haven't read the Percy Jackson series. I was told that it's not necessary for this series, but I am finding that there are enough references that it would be better to have read them first. (Though, still not necessary.)

I intended to read this series straight through, but after I listened to the first book in this series, The Lost Hero, I decided to listen to them with other books in between. I can easily see how you can get "Percy Jackson'd out"! I have that same issue with two other series that I'm reading right now as well - The Dresden Files, which I put aside for a while, and the Iron Druid Chronicles, which I'm sticking with 1 per month.

Diana Gotsch | 37 comments Some of my friends think I strange because I try never to read 2 books from the same author back to back. And put at least 3 books between 2 of the same series. I've found that don't burn out on an author or a series as often that way.

message 8: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
I am totally the opposite; I have an obsessive personality and have to gobble up all books possible one after another. Hence why I try to wait until most books become available.

Alycia (bookhound18) | 814 comments I tend to be that way too, Diana. It's very rare for me to read a series straight through...I'm more likely to read a few books in between each book. The sign of a REALLY good series for me is when I have to read them all in a row because they're so addictive. :)

Diana Gotsch | 37 comments I just finished House of Hades. Yes, I read a 583 page book in three and a half days. We will not talk about what my house looks like. And I think my husband wants to be fed a real meal.

It was said that you didn't need to read the earlier books. I think that is a bad idea. So many of the characters come from them and much of the action builds on the events from earlier in the series.

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think you definitely need to read the rest of this series first. It is the other series, the Percy Jackson series, that everyone says you don't need to read first, but I think they are helpful.

I am still on The Son of Neptune, so I'll be joining the conversation about this book eventually.

message 12: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 116 comments Thanks for the tip about this not being a stand alone book. Back to the library it will go...unread.

Alycia (bookhound18) | 814 comments Lol!!! Um yea. Guilty as charged.

message 14: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Diana wrote: "It was said that you didn't need to read the earlier books. I think that is a bad idea. So many of the characters come from them and much of the action builds on the events from earlier in the series. "

Where on earth did it say that???? There is no way this is a stand alone book, hence my warning at the top of this thread.

message 15: by Lea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lea (leaspot) | 77 comments I really enjoyed this one and I'm now impatiently waiting for The Blood of Olympus to come out. I'm so curious as to how this ends.

message 16: by Janina (last edited May 08, 2014 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Starting this one today. I really like the Heroes series so far .. the first one around Percy (Lightning Thief and so on) not so much. I think they grew up a bit with their readers .. now it's closer to a YA book while the first were obviously children's books.
I'm excited! Love the humor and the larger variety of characters in these books.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I really enjoyed this one. My favorite in the series so far and I think all the additional characters and the mixture or Roman/Greek "philosophy" gives a wonderful depth to the story. It's definitely crossing the line into young YA novels, but the same thing happened with Harry Potter as well .. makes sense to grow with the readership.

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 20, 2015 06:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

So, I realize we read this forever ago, but just in case anyone is still following this thread, I have a question. I am doing a challenge where I have to read a book with a snake on the cover or in the story. Someone put this as their read and it would qualify for me timewise, but I don't remember a snake. Does anyone remember a snake in this book?? I think they might be thinking of the one before this when there were a bunch of snakes in the tunnels below the city. Actually, those were spiders... Did any of the books have snakes in them? Am I remembering correctly?

message 19: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn | 4021 comments Mod
Oh gosh, that was way too long ago to remember that kind of thing lol

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I asked my daughter and she said there was one in a chair or something? she wasn't sure though. There's that giant fighting a drakon which is snake-like.

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments chair = chariot

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2015 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh that's right! I forgot all about that part! He fixed the chariot with a snake. Wow, that was kind of a big thing in the book too. Actually, I'm not sure if that was in this book or or the previous one. I'm going to guess that it was this one. lol Tell your daughter thank you, Janina!