Firequill Book Club discussion

General > Fav genre

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Firequill (new)

Firequill | 259 comments Mod
Tell us what is your genre. What makes you want to grab a book and read it. Mine is anything fantasy and paranormal. I have a thing for YA too.

message 2: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniquetheeditrix) | 5 comments Mod
Ah... Uhm... My favourite genre has words and a story! I'll read anything

message 3: by Firequill (new)

Monique wrote: "Ah... Uhm... My favourite genre has words and a story! I'll read anything"

Hahahaha, I'm a bit different. For some reason I struggle with a couple of genres and would only read them rarely if the story is awesome. For some reason I can't read historical fiction.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott Boyer (rscottboyer) | 10 comments My fav genre is new-age/spiritual fiction (Life of Pi, Celestine Prophecy, The Alchemist, Way of the Peaceful Warrior, etc). I grew up a voracious fantasy reader and still love it, but nowadays, I prefer stories that walk the line between complete fantasy and what could actually be real. Whenever I read any of these books, I prefer them to be YA, since I'm a big kid at heart :-)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael | 6 comments I like anything that puts a twist on the world we live in - be it supernatural elements, fantasy elements, or sci-fi. The List of Seven is one of my favorites for this because it's got supernatural elements set in Victorian England.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the writing of Terry Brooks, as I was reading The Elfstones of Shannara when I decided to become an author.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott Boyer (rscottboyer) | 10 comments I also love Terry Brooks and read the Shannara books growing up.

message 7: by Firequill (new)

R. wrote: "My fav genre is new-age/spiritual fiction (Life of Pi, Celestine Prophecy, The Alchemist, Way of the Peaceful Warrior, etc). I grew up a voracious fantasy reader and still love it, but nowadays, I ..."

We are all children when it comes to some stories. Loved Life of Pi and I am still wondering what really happened. Did he spend it with a tiger or was it his way of making peace with what happened.

message 8: by Firequill (new)

Cassandra wrote: "Sci-fi, Fantasy, and Historical. Those are my top three. :D"

Cassandra I can only read Fantasy, unless it is something like Avatar or Fantasy mixed with historical, other than that, I struggle with those two genres

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I love reading romance stories. I always want to read other genres but the romance one always gets to me. Lol. But I also have a question. When your on creative writing and you are writing your own story, How do you do all the italizising and bold prints??

message 10: by Firequill (new)

Killian wrote: "I will quite literally read anything (for example, about three months ago I read, and enjoyed, The Big Short and Storm Front one after the other) but I prefer modern, vi..."

I loved that Hunger games comment Killian. If you think about the concept it's actually sick, kids killing kids. Hahahaha, but my dark and sadistic side loved it for some reason, only the first book though.

message 11: by Firequill (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I love reading romance stories. I always want to read other genres but the romance one always gets to me. Lol. But I also have a question. When your on creative writing and you are writing your own..."

Are you talking about the Initial caps at the beginning of each chapter.
I get them created by my artist for all our novels that will start getting published in November. He does an amazing job with them, and then we just place them in the manuscript without letting the other letters getting pushed further down. I find this the easiest way of them and they do put a bit of a more personal touch to the novel if created for just that novel.

I do spend a lot of effort in making the layout of our novels look absolutely beautiful. I wish I could put a letter for you on here, but it's too big, hahahaha, and won't take it.

message 12: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Tyler | 5 comments I'm pretty easy. If it's a good book then genre doesn't play a part for me. However, having said that, I do gravitate towards romance/erotica. I suppose I do that because deep down I like to read it, but I also love to write it. It's important as a writer to immerse yourself in the genre that you write and though I have done that for the last couple of years, I've recently taken a breather and read a whole lot of other genres. It's been wonderful to discover and read a whole lot of different kinds of stories.

message 13: by Firequill (new)

Georgie wrote: "I'm pretty easy. If it's a good book then genre doesn't play a part for me. However, having said that, I do gravitate towards romance/erotica. I suppose I do that because deep down I like to read i..."

Good to know, we are going to publish Riptide at the end of the year, it's romance/light erotica with a dash of pregnancy. It's the first novel of the Pregnancy diaries. If you like to be a beta reader when it's finished let me know.

message 14: by Firequill (new)

Killian wrote: "Firequill wrote: "Killian wrote: "I will quite literally read anything (for example, about three months ago I read, and enjoyed, The Big Short and Storm Front one after ..."

I love George R.R. Martin too. but his world like you said is fleshed out and it makes sense when the brutal stuff comes. I wouldn't normally read a novel where children is killing children. It reminds me of children of the corn, hahahaha. It was different and agree she could've done something more with it, but loved the first one, didn't care much for the second or the third one.