Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

May 2014: Hunter's Claim > Does it get better?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by taranova (new)

taranova | 25 comments I haven't read any of the other threads or comments yet because I don't want to be spoiled about the plot.
I'm only on page six, but I keep getting taken out of the story by the author's writing style. It seems overly expository and amatuer (not that I'm claiming I could do any better). The sentences seem clunky and there could be more/better punctuation. Is it just me? Does it get better after the world is established? I guess I will find out.

message 2: by Tereza (new)

Tereza It does not get better. There will be actual spelling mistakes, too, if you are reading the kindle version as I did.

Cassandra Stryffe | 33 comments Nope!

message 4: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair I thought it was so bad it was good. And I mean really bad. And more fun than good. (But I was in the mood for that.)

message 5: by taranova (new)

taranova | 25 comments I usually love books that are so bad that they are good. Hopefully I will get into this one.
And yes Tereza, I am reading the kindle version. I keep wanting to attack the text with a red pen and make corrections. It's distracting.

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and really clunky exposition. How many times on the first page did we need to be told she had two younger sisters?

message 7: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 33 comments This is not so bad it's good, it's just bad. It's like a train wreck, you can't look away!

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (erincrites) | 17 comments Alicia, YES! By the end of the first chapter I hated the name Jordan!

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Adelaide wrote: "I thought it was so bad it was good. And I mean really bad. And more fun than good. (But I was in the mood for that.)"

Me too :D

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Joanna wrote: "This is not so bad it's good, it's just bad. It's like a train wreck, you can't look away!"

At least it wasn't rambly! At least it actually told a story, hahahaha some books don't take you anywhere!

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Erin wrote: "Alicia, YES! By the end of the first chapter I hated the name Jordan!"

And at one point she got Taylor and Jordan mixed up. So badly edited!

message 12: by taranova (new)

taranova | 25 comments I finished the book. While there were a couple of times where it was so bad it was good, the rest of the time it was so bad it was just awful. But I am not sorry I read it. It was quick and somewhat entertaining.

To answer my original question, no it does not get better.

message 13: by Cas (new)

Cas (elventempest) | 90 comments This was a big miss. It sucks because now that alt's are off the video discussion, it's just going to be ....sigh... with this.

message 14: by Frakki (last edited May 05, 2014 05:45PM) (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments I'm glad I read it, mainly because it didn't take that long. (More thought was put into making up silly cat names than world building.)

Just keep your expectations low and enjoy the warm fuzzies.

message 15: by Caryn (new)

Caryn Lix (missrithenay) | 35 comments I'm so glad you posted this. I'm on pg 10 and the writing is agonizing to read. "I'm going to be using your balls if you have any as a decoration on my truck" is the sentence that tipped me over. The dialogue is so stilted and unnatural.

message 16: by Philippa (new)

Philippa | 143 comments Caryn wrote: "I'm so glad you posted this. I'm on pg 10 and the writing is agonizing to read. "I'm going to be using your balls if you have any as a decoration on my truck" is the sentence that tipped me over. T..."

Wow...really, that was on pg. 10? That's just awful! I was waiting to see if I could pick this up on my next visit to the library, but I'm rather dubious now. I don't mind silly romance fluff, but this sounds like fingernails-on-a-chalkboard bad writing.

message 17: by Nemi (new)

Nemi Philippa wrote: "I don't mind silly romance fluff, but this sounds like fingernails-on-a-chalkboard bad writing. "

It's not that bad! It's... the kind of book where you just have to switch off your brain and go along for the ride. (and then log into this group and grumble about it and make Thundercats jokes)

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Nemi wrote: "Philippa wrote: "I don't mind silly romance fluff, but this sounds like fingernails-on-a-chalkboard bad writing. "

It's not that bad! It's... the kind of book where you just have to switch off you..."

this.

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara D'aversa | 12 comments I didn't notice her bad writing skills/lack of grammar skills/whatever since my mothertongue is Spanish and I am NOT good at writing in English...

BUT, I didn't like that the author used the same verbs/expression over a thousand times: "to jerk" (Honestly, I had to look up the word in an English dictionary because I didn't know if it was "to masturbate" or something else... ahahahaha!, "husky", and so many other words.

I thought I was reading a Thundercats fanfiction written by a 13 year old girl that -by law- she couldn't even be reading what she was writing because it's +18, =P

message 20: by Frakki (new)

Frakki Karu | 509 comments You have to read the book so you get the jokes over in the drinking game thread.

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Kearney (makeralfish) I've had to lem this.I just couldn't go any further.I think I actually would have preferred the Thundercats fanfic.

message 22: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (lwordish) | 7 comments Caryn wrote: "I'm so glad you posted this. I'm on pg 10 and the writing is agonizing to read. "I'm going to be using your balls if you have any as a decoration on my truck" is the sentence that tipped me over. T..."

Mentioned like 2-3 times as well...

message 23: by Caryn (new)

Caryn Lix (missrithenay) | 35 comments A lot of my local members have said they enjoyed the fluff factor. I didn't. I just couldn't get past the writing. I mean, the story was bad too. But it was the writing that killed me. Thirteen year old Thundercats fanfiction sums it up well. I did finish the book, but I had to force myself to do it, and it took over two weeks because I just couldn't make myself focus on the words. LOL. Bad books are fun to talk about, though.

message 24: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Whipple One of my favorite sentences: "Jesse's breath caught in her throat as her first view of the small city area near the ocean that Hunter lived in." Oh, he lives in the ocean?

message 25: by Caryn (new)

Caryn Lix (missrithenay) | 35 comments Lol!!!

message 26: by retro (new)

retro (retrooo) I present to you... "The sight, combined with her body fisting him, was an erotic sight that drove him to capture her nipples as he rose up."

(This one's for Bonnie.)

message 27: by taranova (new)

taranova | 25 comments noisetter wrote: "I present to you... "The sight, combined with her body fisting him, was an erotic sight that drove him to capture her nipples as he rose up."

(This one's for Bonnie.)"

That's not the only fisting she does:
"He pressed in, pushing through her swollen folds and against her clenching vaginal channel before she fisted him so tightly he couldn't pull back out."

Sounds painful.

message 28: by retro (new)

retro (retrooo) taranova wrote: "noisetter wrote: "I present to you... "The sight, combined with her body fisting him, was an erotic sight that drove him to capture her nipples as he rose up."

(This one's for Bonnie.)"

That's n..."

I missed that one! Lady-fisting-dude would be so much more interesting than this...

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen | 83 comments I started Hunter's Claim and made it to page 2 before I came here to complain about how stilted the writing is. I see that I am so far from being first that there's a whole thread devoted to this already.

When there's an entire thread about how poor the writing is, I take it as a BAD SIGN.

I'm off to find the drinking game and a bottle of something with well-written copy on the label.