quotablebookquotes discussion

Stranger in a Strange Land
This topic is about Stranger in a Strange Land
Stranger in a Strange Land > SiaS: Chapters I-XI

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trish, IT (last edited May 01, 2014 10:05PM) (new) - added it

Trish (the-bookshelf-at-the-end) | 112 comments Mod
Chapters 1-11... Don't comment on this unless you've completed the entire thing!

message 2: by Colleen, Head of the Secret Police (new) - rated it 5 stars

Colleen Earle (unphilosophize) | 261 comments Mod
This story is really intense. I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this.
As this is one of the foundational texts of the genre, I am not the least bit surprised that a large portion of the book is a social commentary. I am excited to see how it explores technology more through the novel.
I find that Michael is a very interesting character. I wish we had more insight into his life on mars and the Martian language.
I think the relationship that Gillian has with everyone is very interesting as well. She always notes how Michael has this benign innocence to him with his old eyes, angel like as she describes it, but in many ways she is far more innocent than he is. She views him as sexually innocent and discounts the fact that he has much knowledge. In her conversations with Ben, it is obvious that, much like many of our comrades, she knows little of the truth of the world. She wears her security blanket, lives a promiscuous life, and works hard, but keeps her head in the sand. No wonder Jubal gets frustrated with her.
Reading this really makes me want to read The Princess of Mars.