The Sword and Laser discussion

Kindle vs Physical Book

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Oscar (new)

Oscar (oenader) | 9 comments I love my kindle I live in south america and I never find good sword and laser books here. Is practical and perfect for travel but sometimes I will love to see my Kindle Library in a real Bookshelf.

What book you will love to have it physical instead of Kindle In my case I just bought The Stormlight Archive Book 1 and 2.

message 2: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments There are two that immediately come to mind for me. First is my all-in-one edition of The Lord of the Rings. It's a nice edition and I love seeing it on my shelf.

The other one is an edition of Treasure Island that I've had since I was about 6 years old. It was one of the first hardbacks I had ever owned. It's nothing fancy, not worth a whole lot to anyone but me, but I love it. The book is square shaped instead of rectangular and I've never seen another copy of this particular edition. I'll never let it go, but I don't dare read it anymore, some of the pages are beginning to feel kind of loose. I've since purchase a newer reading copy for my occasional rereads.

message 3: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Malazan Book of the Fallen series. For some reason I find them easier to read on kindle versus physical books but I'd love them in hardback.

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments I love my real books. Like looking at them and thinking "hey that was a really good book". I have the feeling that this will never happen to the ebooks I buy, because I can't see them on my bookshelf and then I'll forget that I have them.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 14 comments It's odd but my Kindle broke last month and I had no idea I would miss it as much as I currently do. I've got plenty of books to keep myself happy with before obtaining another Kindle though.

message 6: by Rob Secundus (new)

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments There are a few books I downloaded on kindle that I'm really looking forward to picking up in hard copy. The Lady Trent series comes to mind-- those books are just gorgeous, and I'd love to have them on my shelf. Otherwise I'd like to grab the Einstein Intersection. It's something I'm going to be begging friends to read for a while, so I need a physical copy to lend.

message 7: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments I love my kindle. Between having a small apartment in new york with not much room for books and traveling a lot, it's so much more convenient (especially now that Delta doesn't make you turn off electronics :-)

message 8: by Darren (last edited May 04, 2014 07:53PM) (new)

Darren Love my kindle. That said, I have yet to kill a cockroach with one. Or even a spider.

message 9: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments For me its the Wheel of Time series. I got hooked really young in that world and I have every book from 5 on in first edition hardback, most bought the first day they were on sale, so I love to look at their spines and think back fondly on the series.

For some of them I even remember the days I first spent reading them. Physical books truly can be a magical thing.

message 10: by Joanna Chaplin (new)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments After I finished the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, I ordered the paperback box set because I enjoyed them so much and I wanted to lend them.

I've been fantasizing about a device a little like the primer from Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. So it has a cover and pages, but it has access to your Kindle library. When you download a book, it populates the pages with the text. Nothing beats a physical book for flipping back a chapter, or forward to the glossary. I wish I had a device that combined the best aspects of Kindle and a physical book.

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 43 comments I neither have, nor want, an e-reader. I love everything about physical books. I love holding a book and turning the pages. I love browsing in bookstores and looking online for good books. If books became extinct and the only way one could read would be an e-reader I'd miss physical books.

message 12: by S. Usher (new)

S. Usher Evans (susherevans) | 9 comments I'm an IT wonk with a hatred of clutter and small house, so my iPad is the way I read everything. Besides, it's instant gratification - I see book, I buy book, I read book.

However, I will say that editing on a paper copy is much easier.

message 13: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (finiousfingers) | 30 comments Kindle wins by a mile for me. I still have a collection of physical books that I really like, but honestly I read almost everything on my Kindle now. Love highlighting passages (always felt I was "damaging" a physical book when I did that). My eyes aren't what they once were, and some time I find I need to bump the font size up (can't do that w/ a physical book). And I currently have a library of over a thousand books on my kindle. Certainly can't carry that many physical books around with me. Being able to highlight a word for an instant definition is nice too.

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 124 comments The first year I had my kindle I read about 100 books on it (about 70% of my reading) and I loved the convenience of it but I find myself reading more and more physical books (so far this year I've read 54 books and 52 of them have been physical) - I just find that it's a better experience.
The books that I have read on the kindle in the past: I find that I miss having them on a bookshelf (At least once or twice a week I'll go to one of my six bookshelves and pull a book out and flip through the pages, remembering the story, remembering when I read it, admiring the artwork on the cover, rereading the inside flap etc.).

I do love using my kindle for short stories - can pick them up for $.99, read them, enjoy them, move on. Before my kindle I never read short stories, now I read a couple a month.

message 15: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (finiousfingers) | 30 comments By the way, it doesn't have quite the same "thrill" as seeing your books on a physical shelf, but... If you use Calibre to back up & index your Kindle books, you CAN view all your book covers lined up in what ever order you like by using Caibre's "cover grid" view.

You can see an example screenshot of this here:

message 16: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4102 comments I bought my first Kindle in 2009 and love was almost instantaneous. I bought it right before I had to do some long-term work travel, and the ability to carry a large quantity of books with me factored heavily into the decision to buy it.

I do have a soft spot for physical books, and I still buy them from time-to-time. I love book stores, being able to go in and feel the books and read more than just the first chapter to see if I'll like it. I've made quite a few impulse physical book buys. I also have some (such as the Stormlight Saga books) that I want to keep physical copies of. But with my physical storage space maxed out, I'm also finding I like bringing books into my work book exchange. ;)

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 124 comments It occurs to me that I didn't answer the original question so my answer is....I'm kind of bummed that I don't have Mistborn as a physical book.

message 18: by Joaquin (new)

Joaquin Garza | 37 comments Scott wrote: "It occurs to me that I didn't answer the original question so my answer is....I'm kind of bummed that I don't have Mistborn as a physical book."

I bought the hardcover and was slightly dissapointed with the manufacture: though the paper looks good, the binding is not sewn and the dust jacket is not embossed

message 19: by Darren (new)

Darren I still buy physical copies of illustrated books. The conversion... If they don't do a lousy job at converting the images, they erase them entirely.

message 20: by Rob Secundus (new)

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Kindle has definitely made me appreciate the quality of physical books; like if I saw that copy of Mistborn, I'd never buy it, why spend more money to get a book that doesn't even have a sewn binding?

message 21: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pecoraro | 226 comments I kind of agree with Rob. I dont buy paperbacks of ANYTHING. If I buy a book its a beautiful hardcover or nothing.