Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > May 2014 Non-Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm not listening to a non-romance right now. What about you?

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments almost done with Dreams of Gods & Monsters - next up is Chill Factor

message 3: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieroop) I just finished Jeffrey Archer "Only Time Will Tell" It was great well written lots of twists and turns and very well narrated.Only Time Will Tell

message 4: by Harry_ATL (new)

Harry_ATL | 40 comments I just finished John Grisham's The Firm narrated by Scott Brick. A bit longish, but very well narrated. Love Scott Brick who also narrates the Janet Evanovich/Lee Goldberg collaborations with the Kate O'Hare and Nicholas Fox characters.

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm around 80% of Dreams of Gods & Monsters and all I have to say is OMG!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Told you so DG!!!

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments I can't remember the last time I listened to non-romance fiction (Wizard of Oz doesn't count). The Gray Man was another freebie from last year. I am trying not to be too disturbed within the first few pages with all the noise and death- yipes! I like the new-to-me narrator, Jay Snyder.

message 8: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Dee wrote: "Told you so DG!!!"

How did you feel about the ending? It brought down the book to 4 stars for me. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Didn't like, didn't hate - why I gave it 4 not 5 - wasn't a fan of the whole far isles story - felt too rushed/not developed

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments Listening to Chill Factor

message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Dee wrote: "Didn't like, didn't hate - why I gave it 4 not 5 - wasn't a fan of the whole far isles story - felt too rushed/not developed"

Yes, that was part of it all. I didn't like it either.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I finished up Chill Factor - I think its probably my favorite in the series so far - its a series that grows on you for sure - unfortunately, my library only has like book 7 - so if I want to continue i'm going to have to fork over audible credits :(

started Spider's Bite which has been loitering on Mt TBR since early 2012

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments I'm currently listening to A Spark Unseen by Sharon Cameron, book 2 in her Dark Unwinding series. I got the first book from the library and was surprised at how good it was. I didn't really know what to expect, but the books are exciting and really keep you guessing. And the narration is excellent. They are narrated by Fiona Hardingham, and I definitely want to listen to more books narrated by her. I hate that there are only 2 books in the series. I could listen to a dozen of them.

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to The Anatomist's Apprentice (Dr. Thomas Silkstone, #1) by Tessa Harris . I can't wait for it to end...if Simon Vance wasn't narrating, I would have DNF it.

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Started NYPD Red 2, liked the first book... I think it's Patterson's writing style... those short, tight chapters are perfect for suspense novels.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieroop) I just finished Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain This is an awesome book I have read every Diane Chamberlain book that I can get my hands on and they are all 5 star listens/reads. I highly recommend her books. If you like Jodi Picoult ( I love her books) you will like Diane Chamberlain

message 17: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments Decided to give Daughter of Smoke and Bone a try.

I'm going to listen to Whose Body? By Dorothy Sayers afterward.

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 3986 comments Mod
Ancientpeas wrote: "Decided to give Daughter of Smoke and Bone a try.

I'm going to listen to Whose Body? By Dorothy Sayers afterward."

Loved the narration for Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

Had a tough time with the narration for Whose Body? The narrator was female trying to do mostly male roles and I had a tough time understanding her. I listen to a lot of British mysteries but this one was hard. There may be more than one version so if you have a choice, go with the male narrator.

message 19: by D.G. (last edited May 20, 2014 04:50PM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I didn't listen to Whose Body? but the narrations of the next 3 books in the series are narrated by Ian Carmichael (who portrayed Lord Peter on TV) and he does an AMAZING job. I laughed so damn much!

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Wish he'd done Whose Body! Nadia May was the narrator for my edition.

message 21: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments Strangely my copy of Whose Body? is narrated by David Case. This is a library digital copy. I'm not sure if they have the info right. I'll let you know when I get there if that info is right.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

I've seen two other editions with different narrators:)

message 23: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 152 comments I'm listening to Firestorm

message 24: by Sue (last edited May 24, 2014 11:25AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Continuing on with King and Maxwell with Simple Genius, I have no idea if this will live up to the Hour Game but I really hope so.

Just finished NYPD Red 2, well done... the writing style and delivery were great for this suspense novel.

message 25: by Jewlzy (last edited May 26, 2014 10:06PM) (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments I just finished Boston Jacky: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Taking Care of Business the eleventh book in the Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer. Katherine Kellgren is a wonderful narrator for this amazing series about a young girl who disguises herself as a boy, and becomes a skilled and respected sailor. If you have not listened to the series, give the first one a try.

message 26: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm listening to ML Stedman's The Light Between Oceans.

message 27: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2) by Seanan McGuire . So far, nothing interesting is going on and I'm mid-way through the book.

message 28: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to Simple Genius, narrated by Scott Brick who I think is excellent. This series changes narrators with book 4, I hope I'll be just as happy... the first three are narrated by Scott. I find it interesting how the Mystery/Thriller purist disdain any personal leaking into their mysteries.

This is actually the type of Mystery/Thriller type I enjoy... hello... the partners actually care about the other. No romance... though lots of curious bystander are waiting to see what happens there.... this is my favorite type of mystery / thriller...

message 29: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm about 18 hours into Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative. It's 37 hours and that's just Volume 1 of 3. But I badly needed a break from fictional audio (I'd run into a string of poorly written or performed audios) and I've studied the Civil War for years so I'm totally absorbed. But the audio version would probably be mind-numbing for anyone who isn't interested in the Civil War or who doesn't have a pretty decent grasp of the basics. It's narrated by Grover Gardner

message 30: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Sue wrote: "Listening to Simple Genius, narrated by Scott Brick who I think is excellent. This series changes narrators with book 4, I hope I'll be just as happy... the first three are narrated b..."

I've never read anything by Baldacci. I don't know why but I see a writer being advertised in the Subway, I immediately don't trust them, LOL!

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyvioletke) | 317 comments I'm listening to The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion and it's a hoot!

message 32: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kelly wrote: "I'm listening to The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion and it's a hoot!"

Yay! I loved it - especially in audio format!

message 33: by Maddy (new)

Maddy Barone (maddybarone) | 40 comments I just finished up the The Last Gunfight It was generally interesting but I think I prefer to read historical nonfiction so I can make notes about further study of certain points.

message 34: by Jewlzy (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments Kelly wrote: "I'm listening to The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion and it's a hoot!"
I loved it!

message 35: by D.G. (last edited May 31, 2014 05:18PM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Kelly wrote: "I'm listening to The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion and it's a hoot!"

Oh this sounds great! I'm adding it to the TBR!

ETA: This book has 55K ratings and I've never heard of it! I think I need to start participating more in groups.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments I'm planning on starting I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban tomorrow after I finish up Impulse (I have 1 CD left)

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellyvioletke) | 317 comments Finished The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion and I loved it! It was so funny and the narration was spot on with the main character. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much if I had read it in print form.

message 38: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Kelly wrote: "Finished The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion and I loved it! It was so funny and the narration was spot on with the main character. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much if I had read it..."

I wondered the same thing Kelly and I don't think I would have. The narrator pegged Don's character perfectly making me understand his quick thinking and reasoning and see his pragmatic acceptance of his oddities.

If I had read The Rosie Project when I wrote my Top Ten 2013 Romance Speaking of Audiobooks column, I would have included it on the list. Yes, for those who don't know - it has all the elements of a romance. The author responded to our comments on Twitter, delighted and surprised, that we thought it such a great romance!

message 39: by Sue (last edited Jun 01, 2014 07:38AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments D.G. wrote: "Sue wrote: "Listening to Simple Genius, narrated by Scott Brick who I think is excellent. This series changes narrators with book 4, I hope I'll be just as happy... the first three ar..."

I just started reading Thrillers a few years ago, I was a die hard R/S and R type reader for decades. But someone lent me Step on a Crack by J.Patterson and I was hooked, or least hooked enough to try the big best sellers in the genre. My list of thriller/suspense character authors is pathetic in size... you can tell I'm a newbie... Below are the series I follow/followed in that genre, so far (BTW I found them all entertaining... not a miss in the bunch):

Patterson - Michael Bennett, Alex Cross and NYPD Red series
Child - Reacher
Balducci - Maxwell & King
Connolly - Lincoln Lawyer and Harry Bosch
DeMille - John Corey (If you like sarcasm... this guy is it in spades).

The Girl with the Dragon tattoo and Wallenberg series...

Like D.D. Warren (L.Gardner) & Will Trent (K. Slaghter), but I'll come back to those eventually too much material to catch up on as it is... and I only read about 20 thrillers a year, when you compare it to the several hundred in the RS/R/PNR/NA catagory... it's peanuts.

message 40: by D.G. (last edited Jun 01, 2014 07:53AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Sue - I'm a fan of Reacher too. I'm up to book #10 and should be reading it within a month or so (it's the only narration where I like Dick Hill...he can sound really menacing and kick ass!)

I don't like serial killer plots so I stay away from any series that has them. I prefer those where the main character kicks ass left and right. Hahaha!

Have you read the John Rain series? It's by far my favorite. That man kicks ass so hard that is not even funny. Here's my review of the first book: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The series was recently re-recorded by the author and he did an awesome job so go with his if you want to try the series in audio (book 1 had an awesome narrator but he only did 2 of the books and the rest were by different people.)

message 41: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Lea - I'm going to have to spend a credit on The Rosie Project. It sounds so good! Thanks for the rec. :)

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments D.G. wrote: "Sue - I'm a fan of Reacher too. I'm up to book #10 and should be reading it within a month or so (it's the only narration where I like Dick Hill...he can sound really menacing and kick ass!)

I don..."

I'll put it on my list... I do love a good kick ass novel (Maya Banks KGI series is great for that but with the emphasis on romance..unlike Reacher), I actually do love a good serial killer plot, but it's not required :). Avoid Balducci's Hour Game, it's serial killer to the nth degree. For anyone who likes that type... I highly recommend it.

message 43: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) D.G. wrote: "Lea - I'm going to have to spend a credit on The Rosie Project. It sounds so good! Thanks for the rec. :)"

Understand that it is very different but funny too while a bit moving as well.

message 44: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Finished The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion and I loved it! It was so funny and the narration was spot on with the main character. I wonder if I would have enjoyed it as much if..."

that is so funny. I grabbed the kindle book, it was 1.99! Am considering the audio, but it's not as cheap. $11 or a credit...

message 45: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "
Understand that it is very different but funny too while a bit moving as well. "

I read all sorts of different things so no problem that it's different!