Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives > May 2014 Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm listening to Patricia Briggs' Silver Borne and Joanna Bourne's The Forbidden Rose. What are you listening to?

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (zannerina) | 274 comments I'm listening to Loretta Chase's Scandal Wears Satin, narrated once again by the great Kate Reading.

message 3: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I'm listening to Afterburn/Aftershock by Sylvia Day. The narration is okay but I'd prefer Jill Redfield. Also the main female character has a Brooklyn accent that, I think because it's fake, is a little grating. I had a friend with a Brooklyn accent and never found it grating so I think it's the falseness of it that is the problem. Also, there is a bit to much shrieking for my tastes.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 33 comments I'm listening to Sweet Revenge by Zoe Archer.

message 5: by Harry_ATL (new)

Harry_ATL | 40 comments I'm suffering through Loretta Chase's Silk is for Seduction. Narration is stellar by Kate Reading, but the character development and chemistry is sorely lacking. I simply adored ADORED Lord of Scoundrels which could account for my disappointment with this one. I don't know that I can finish it. So disappointed.

message 6: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Started The Forbidden Rose. I read this one when it first came out and enjoyed it. So far it's fantastic.

message 7: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm suffering through Loretta Chase's Silk is for Seduction. Narration is stellar by Kate Reading, but the character development and chemistry is sorely lacking. I simply adored ADORED Lord of Sc..."

Lord of Scoundrels is among the best of Loretta Chase . Not impossible but I wouldnt' expect many books to compare to it, even by the same author.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments To fun... enjoying Rock Chick narrated by Susannah Jones, it's really fun... spunky fun, with seriously hot guy... similar to Stephanie Plum, just started it and already love it, the series is at least 7-8 books. Bummer is I'm actually going to have to invest to read the series, my libraries don't have any of the books yet..

message 9: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Sue wrote: "To fun... enjoying Rock Chick narrated by Susannah Jones, it's really fun... spunky fun, with seriously hot guy... similar to Stephanie Plum, just started it and already love it, the..."

I bought and read the entire series during a year long KA glom fest. I have been hesitant to listen to any of her audiobooks because of some of the concerns about narration. You have convinced me to at least give the first Rock Chick a try.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Dyer (solsticesinger) | 33 comments Lisa, I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying Silk Is for Seduction. I think the synopsis looks good. Hopefully, the book will live up to my expectations.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Lee If u own the kindle version it's only 1.99 to add audio. I think ultimately everyone has to decided for themselves on narrators.

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Sue wrote: "Lee If u own the kindle version it's only 1.99 to add audio. I think ultimately everyone has to decided for themselves on narrators."
Thanks, Sue. I am giving it a go right now :-)

message 13: by Mitzi (new)

Mitzi (mitzihinkeysbcglobalnet) | 96 comments I'm listening to Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts. It's old school but the narration is fantastic! Tom Stechschulte nails the slow southern drawl sexy hero Tucker.

message 14: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 533 comments I am listening to Morrigan's Cross as a group read while traveling. I am enjoying the story, and like the narrator's voice a lot, especially his male voices. His females are a little too breathy for warriors, queens, witches and demon killers for my taste though.

message 15: by Sue (last edited May 04, 2014 04:53PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Lee wrote: "Sue wrote: "Lee If u own the kindle version it's only 1.99 to add audio. I think ultimately everyone has to decided for themselves on narrators."
Thanks, Sue. I am giving it a go right now :-)"

Hope you like it, I do know if you've read a novel.. sometimes the narrators don't get the voices in your head just right. Let me know how it goes.

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Sue wrote: "Lee wrote: "Sue wrote: "Lee If u own the kindle version it's only 1.99 to add audio. I think ultimately everyone has to decided for themselves on narrators."
Thanks, Sue. I am giving it a go right..."

I can tell already that Susannah Jones has just the right attitude, voice and range to do right by the Rock Chick series. I may eventually try out Kate Russell and the Dream Man series.

message 17: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I just finished Take Me On (Ross Siblings, #4) by Cherrie Lynn . What a mess! The main characters behaved like teenagers throughout the whole book and I couldn't BELIEVE that the heroine didn't put her parents in their place. Telling her who she can be with! The nerve!!!

message 18: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Mitzi wrote: "I'm listening to Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts. It's old school but the narration is fantastic! Tom Stechschulte nails the slow southern drawl sexy hero Tucker."

That book is so, so good! And that narration!!

message 19: by Harry_ATL (new)

Harry_ATL | 40 comments Shannon wrote: "Lisa, I'm sorry to hear you're not enjoying Silk Is for Seduction. I think the synopsis looks good. Hopefully, the book will live up to my expectations."
Let us know what you think! The narration is excellent, but the characters just weren't particularly engaging to me. Again, my expectations were too high as well.

message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments OMG, I keep checking the time to see how long I have to wait until I can download Dreams of a Dark Warrior.

message 21: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) D.G. wrote: "Mitzi wrote: "I'm listening to Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts. It's old school but the narration is fantastic! Tom Stechschulte nails the slow southern drawl sexy hero Tucker."

That book is so,..."

I so agree on the narration of Carnal Innocence. I can listen to Stechschulte perform Tucker over and over and over...

message 22: by Jewlzy (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm suffering through Loretta Chase's Silk is for Seduction. Narration is stellar by Kate Reading, but the character development and chemistry is sorely lacking. I simply adored ADORED Lord of Sc..."

I wish she would record the The Carsington Brothers series, in particular, Lord Perfect, and Mr. Impossible. I think these are every bit as good as Lord of Scoundrels. The Dressmakers series is not her best, although I do appreciate her knowledge of fashion and textiles of the times.

message 23: by Jewlzy (new)

Jewlzy | 110 comments D.G. wrote: "Mitzi wrote: "I'm listening to Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts. It's old school but the narration is fantastic! Tom Stechschulte nails the slow southern drawl sexy hero Tucker."

That book is so,..."

I agree. The narration is very good.

message 24: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Julie wrote: "I wish she would record the The Carsington Brothers series, in particular, Lord Perfect, and Mr. Impossible. I think these are every bit as good as Lord of Scoundrels."

Agree. Mr. Impossible is my favorite by her. I kept thinking...that man is impossible!

Rupert is one of my favorite heroes ever.

message 25: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY I'm starting on Elaine Levine's The Edge of Courage, narrated by Eric G Dove.

It's the first of the Red Team series and the Kindle book is currently free.

message 26: by Shell (new)

Shell Not listening to it yet, but the next Kersey Cole is up at Audible for pre order. Says narrator to be announced. Does this mean Mr. Petkoff isn't narrating again???

message 27: by Shell (new)

Shell bah stupid phone... should read not ordering yet instead of not listening yet

message 28: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm listening to Linda Howard's Diamond Bay. It releases today although it hasn't shown up at Audible yet.

message 29: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I just finished The Forbidden Rose by Joanna Bourne. I loved the book in print and I love even more the narrated version with Kirsten Potter. What a gem, I wish all my listens were this wonderful.

message 30: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Shell wrote: "Not listening to it yet, but the next Kersey Cole is up at Audible for pre order. Says narrator to be announced. Does this mean Mr. Petkoff isn't narrating again???"

Hopefully not. Sometimes they put 'narrator to be announced' and then it's the the usual narrator anyway.

message 31: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm listening to Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole of course. I want to hear more of Declan's Irish accent!!

message 32: by Angelica (last edited May 07, 2014 08:13AM) (new)

Angelica | 3 comments Julie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I'm suffering through Loretta Chase's Silk is for Seduction. Narration is stellar by Kate Reading, but the character development and chemistry is sorely lacking. I simply adored ADOR..."

I second that. I'm listening to Lord of Scoundrels and the narration is great.

ETC: Typo

message 33: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Up from the Grave was great, excellent conclusion to a fun series. Finishing up Just one kiss, a Fool's Goal entry.

message 34: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to The Bargain, I know a listener here panned the narration. But, I do so love this book and the whispersync deal was good enough for me to give it a try. If it had been horrible I could have returned it, I'm not finding the narration horrible... it's fine, not great but certain okay. The story is top notch.... just my two cents. But if only One Perfect Rose was narrated... my favorite book by far by MJP.

message 35: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments One Perfect Rose was my first MJP! That was a great book. Going to have to check out The Bargain because I liked that, too. Listening to The Masqueraders. Not loving the narration, but I like the story. Don't hate it, but she's no Richard Armitage. LOL

Sue wrote: "Listening to The Bargain, I know a listener here panned the narration. But, I do so love this book and the whispersync deal was good enough for me to give it a try. If it had been h..."

message 36: by Lee (last edited May 12, 2014 08:57AM) (new)

Lee | 484 comments Despite my concerns about a female narrator doing the alpha male voices, I really enjoyed Rock Chick. Of course it helps that I love the whole series. Once I got used to her voice, I liked Susannah Jones' narration quite a bit. And there is a bonus listen at the end- the first chapter of the soon to be released Rock Chick Rescue. I have pre-ordered the next two in the series.

Now I am listening to Mystery Man. Again, a new to me female narrator, Kate Russell, and I like her interpretation so far.

message 37: by Yaya (last edited May 12, 2014 09:24AM) (new)

Yaya | 135 comments D.G. wrote: "I'm listening to Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole of course. I want to hear more of Declan's Irish accent!!"

I know, don't you love it! I've been waiting forever for this book to come out on audio. By the way, does anyone else live in the Houston,TX area? Kresley Cole and several other romance writers are doing a book tour. It's call The Belles on Wheels bus tour. They are almost at the end of their tour (I just found out today), but they will be at the Woodlands Mall Barnes & Noble (just north of Houston) today at 7pm. This is the link http://xoxoafterdark.com/2014/02/20/2...
I'll be there!

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4082 comments Mod
Lee wrote: "Despite my concerns about a female narrator doing the alpha male voices, I really enjoyed Rock Chick. Of course it helps that I love the whole series. Once I got used to her voice, I..."

Thanks for that feedback. I just might continue the series via audiobook.

message 39: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I finished Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole and it's definitely not my favorite in the series. The author didn't redeam Declan at the end!

Then I listened to The Lotus Palace (The Pingkang Li Mysteries, #1) by Jeannie Lin , which was really good (a historical romance/mystery set in Ancient China.) I'll definitely read the sequel.

Now I'm back to IAD #12, listening to Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole . I wasn't a fan to Lothaire in the past but this may be the best book in the series. The heroine is great, the book is super sexy and Lothaire is so bad, that you can't help but like him!!!

message 40: by Joanna (new)

Joanna Hi folks, I'm new here! Huge romance reader, huge audiobook listener. I'm currently listening to Down to You (The Bad Boys, #1) by M. Leighton and it's terrible! There are 2 narrators, and the chapters switch between them in first person. I could get used to the female narrator, but the man is just not suited to romance. It's ruining the experience of the book. Big time. Hate when that happens.

I picked up a few for the future based on your suggestions, such as the Immortals After Dark series and Rock Chick.

Thanks!

message 41: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments Went from listening to WHEN HE WAS WICKED to listening to PRINCE CHARMING by Julie Garwood.

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

I was on a road trip this week so got a major chunk of Voyager completed (2 of 4 parts completed, about 22 hours). Davina Porter is just masterful as a narrator. She just puts you in the thick of the story. My 4 1/2 hour ride home was a pleasure:)
Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon

message 43: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Jonetta wrote: "I was on a road trip this week so got a major chunk of Voyager completed (2 of 4 parts completed, about 22 hours). Davina Porter is just masterful as a narrator. She just puts you in t..."

I have listened to all of the Outlander series at least twice - maybe 4 times for Outlander and Voyager! The scene in the print shop with Clare and Jamie is one of my all time favorites. Davina Porter is definitely one of those narrators who takes fabulous material to an even higher level of enjoyment.

message 44: by Jonetta (new)

Lee wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "I was on a road trip this week so got a major chunk of Voyager completed (2 of 4 parts completed, about 22 hours). Davina Porter is just masterful as a narrator. She ju..."

Well stated.

message 45: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Lee wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "I was on a road trip this week so got a major chunk of Voyager completed (2 of 4 parts completed, about 22 hours). Davina Porter is just masterful as a narrator. She ju..."

Definitely agree on that print shop scene!

message 46: by Jonetta (new)

*sigh* I'm still in it:)

message 47: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments Hi Joanne! That narrator thing is one of my personal pet peeves about Audiobooks. If you have dual narrators have them interact with each other like in the Fever Series. (I am a crabby person sometimes and have several pet peeves.. including music in audiobooks.)

Taking a total flyer (which is rare for me as I am cheap and often won't take chances with my credits) and got Bitter Spirits by Jenn Bennett and narrated by Amy Landon. It's set in 1920s San Francisco and is a paranormal romance with a bootlegger. I'll let you know if I like it. I do like the fact that its not a traditional setting for a romance and I do love the music, clothes and cars of this period of time.

Really in a bit of listening slump at the moment. I'm blaming Styxx! Looking forward to Devil's Game and Nalini Singh's new Psy-changeling book in June. Also will probably listening to Madeline Sheehan's latest when it comes out (book is due at the end of June so hopefully the audio follows soon after). I have the new Jeaniene Frost/Tavia Gilbert book on my wish list but I'm not preordering yet as it's not out until August.

I have to figure out what to spend my 10$ coupon on before the end of this month. I'm leaning toward the new Christina Lauren but I'm waiting to see some reviews as it's not Grace Grant narrating.

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i think it depends on how the POV's are written - if its the point of view of the guy (for example) and he is hearing the woman speak, then I'd expect the male narrator, because it is how he perceives what is being said - whereas if its a conversation, then i'd expect alternating voices

message 49: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments Hi Dee,
As I said in my thread on this issue, I like the byplay and interactions of male and female narrators. It becomes more like a play. Besides the voices tend to be more consistent and I have to think less about who is speaking and I can get immersed. The more immersed I am the more I enjoy the experience.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments i totally get that, which is why in 3rd person, that interaction is important, but in first person, its more about how other people are hearing the person who is speaking...so if you and I were having a F2F convo in first person, I would be hearing you in how I perceive your voice - which would be an interpretation of my voice - vice yours - does that make sense? its the psychological implications for me - perception, cognition etc

« previous 1 3