Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Gospel of Loki (Loki, #1)
This topic is about The Gospel of Loki
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > The Gospel of Loki, by Joanne Harris - Start Date June 12, 2014 (June 2014 Anything Goes)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 01, 2014 08:49PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod

This thread is to discuss The Gospel of Loki by Joanne Harris. Be prepared for spoilers.

Synopsis:

The first adult epic fantasy novel from multi-million copy bestselling author of CHOCOLAT, Joanne Harris.

The novel is a brilliant first-person narrative of the rise and fall of the Norse gods - retold from the point of view of the world's ultimate trickster, Loki. It tells the story of Loki's recruitment from the underworld of Chaos, his many exploits on behalf of his one-eyed master, Odin, through to his eventual betrayal of the gods and the fall of Asgard itself. Using her life-long passion for the Norse myths, Joanne Harris has created a vibrant and powerful fantasy novel.

Loki, that’s me.

Loki, the Light-Bringer, the misunderstood, the elusive, the handsome and modest hero of this particular tissue of lies. Take it with a pinch of salt, but it’s at least as true as the official version, and, dare I say it, more entertaining.

So far, history, such as it is, has cast me in a rather unflattering role.

Now it’s my turn to take the stage.

With his notorious reputation for trickery and deception, and an ability to cause as many problems as he solves, Loki is a Norse god like no other. Demon-born, he is viewed with deepest suspicion by his fellow gods who will never accept him as one of their own and for this he vows to take his revenge.

From his recruitment by Odin from the realm of Chaos, through his years as the go-to man of Asgard, to his fall from grace in the build-up to Ragnarok, this is the unofficial history of the world’s ultimate trickster

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 15, 2014 06:11PM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages DQ's
June 12th Foreword - Book 1/Lesson 8 1 - 61 Sonia
June 13th Book 1/Lesson 9 - Book 2/Lesson 5 62 - 122 Sonia
June 14th Book 2/Lesson 6 - Book 2/Lesson 11 123 - 181 Karen
June 15th Book 3/Lesson 1 - Book 3/Lesson 9 185 - 240 Sonia
June 16th Book 3/Lesson 10 - end 241 - 302 Sonia

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

IMPORTANT note for readers in the U.S

The mods have discovered that this book is yet to be published in the U.S so you won't be able to purchase via Kindle or your usual bookstores. It is available from sites like bookdepository so if you're based in the US and would like to join the read we would suggest you give yourself enough time to buy a copy and have it posted from overseas.

The book was published in the UK, Europe and Australia in February so members in these countries shouldn't have the same issues.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh fingers crossed I can get a copy!

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14265 comments Mod
I found it pretty easily at my local library so hopefully you will too :)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm just waiting for the page to load now ;)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Found this on the display shelf at the library today so I'm in too.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Great :)

message 9: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Mine's been ordered and dispatched. I should receive it by the 28th, hopefully. It took Sonia a month to receive hers. I'm crossing my fingers mine will only take the estimated 2 weeks to deliver.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oops, I've already started the first few pages... ;)

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

:D

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Reading schedule posted on message #2

message 13: by Sonia (last edited Jun 12, 2014 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Lokabrenna
So, I googled Lokabrenna and apparently it isn't The Gospel of Loki, as claimed by the book but the name the Nordics called the star Sirius (brightest star in the sky), and means "burning by Loki", or "Loki’s torch".

Loki

Odin

Nordic Runes

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Love those images Sonia :)

message 15: by Sonia (last edited Jun 12, 2014 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Thanks :)

I was having troubles with the editing/formatting. Fixed now :D

I also noticed "we" forgot to post the schedule. And I'm finally on page 50, so, questions will be up by lunch hour!

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Is it quick reading?

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Is it quick reading?"

After the first 20 pages or so. But I'm not a big fan of world creation, so I'm biased.

message 18: by Sonia (last edited Jun 12, 2014 05:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Questions and Comments Foreword - Book 1/Lesson 8

1. So, this time I read the synopsis. The road to Ragnarok from Loki's point of view? Promising. He started with the description of the gods - nice snarky comments and all - and a "Stop right there" in the "official" reports. And then we are treated with 20 pages of creationism. What? I feel cheated. What happened to the promised trickster humor?

2. What do you think about Loki and Odin's first encounter? And the way Odin put his brand on Loki, a little ironic that the lord of deception was the one being tricked and manipulated, don't you think?

3. Surprise, surprise. The other gods' acceptance and treatment wasn't as promised. Nice trick with the runes though. They give knowledge and power, but can also be twisted and used as regular objects.

4. Were you familiar with the Nordic Mythology? What's your opinion of the portrait of the gods as viewed by Loki's eyes?

5. Finally, the Loki we all know and love... kind of. He turns himself into a mare to save face when his initial plan backfires. He promises a new hair after cutting it in the first place. He reminds me of a little boy, that made a mistake and keeps making more to avoid being punished by the first one.

6. "You're really that good?"
"Better, I'm Loki."

Too self confident? Maybe. He did tricked his way into having some gifts to turn the boat into his favor. Just to let himself get trap into a bet. Any predictions of the outcome?

7. After the action finally started, the story grabbed my attention, however the constant references that certain decisions backfired or that is a story for another time throws me a little off. How about you? Are you liking the book so far?

Odin with the Spear and Loki's eight legs offspring

Odin is usually said to travel with two ravens and two wolves

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oops, forgot we were starting this one today. Good thing I have some quiet time to read in.

message 20: by Imke (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Questions and Comments Foreword - Book 1/Lesson 8

1. So, this time I read the synopsis. The road to Ragnarok from Loki's point of view? Promising. He started with the description of the gods - nice snarky comments and all - and a "Stop right there" in the "official" reports. And then we are treated with 20 pages of creationism. What? I feel cheated. What happened to the promised trickster humor?
Well I don’t feel cheated, but I did think “What’s happening here??????” A good start with Loki’s description of the different gods and goddesses and then we get the “How did our world start”. Although I have to say, I’m also listening to the audio version of the book and the narrator (Loki) does a very good job of making it sound snarky, like he could have done it a lot better.

2. What do you think about Loki and Odin's first encounter? And the way Odin put his brand on Loki, a little ironic that the lord of deception was the one being tricked and manipulated, don't you think?
I liked their first encounter. Odin handled Loki just the way he needs to be handled. Also I think Loki is not as smart as he thinks he is.

3. Surprise, surprise. The other gods' acceptance and treatment wasn't as promised. Nice trick with the runes though. They give knowledge and power, but can also be twisted and used as regular objects.

4. Were you familiar with the Nordic Mythology? What's your opinion of the portrait of the gods as viewed by Loki's eyes?
I am a little familiar with some of the gods, like Thor and Odin, also Freya. They are all a bit full of themselves.

5. Finally, the Loki we all know and love... kind of. He turns himself into a mare to save face when his initial plan backfires. He promises a new hair after cutting it in the first place. He reminds me of a little boy, that made a mistake and keeps making more to avoid being punished by the first one.
He just doesn’t think things through. And he is stupid about it. He just keeps digging himself in deeper.

"Better, I'm Loki."
Too self confident? Maybe. He did tricked his way into having some gifts to turn the boat into his favor. Just to let himself get trap into a bet. Any predictions of the outcome?
The outcome will be nothing good. I’m curious as to how he’s going to get himself out of this one.

7. After the action finally started, the story grabbed my attention, however the constant references that certain decisions backfired or that is a story for another time throws me a little off. How about you? Are you liking the book so far?
I like it so far and listening to the audio is helping a lot on this one. The narrator Allan Corduner is very good. I like the way he gives Loki his voice.

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Responses to Sonia's comments and questions June 12

1. I agree. I actually didn't know if I would continue the book and if it hadn't been a BOM I probably would have put it to the side for a while.

2. True! I quite liked that introduction to the story

4. I can't say I am. So it is all very new to me and I am enjoying the stories

5. I still can't believe he cut all of that hair rather than just a little snippet!

7. It is really just at the end of this section I started to get into it

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Questions and Comments Foreword - Book 1/Lesson 8

I almost skipped the description of the gods, thinking it was a boring list and I might refer to it if I couldn't remember who people were. It was actually quite funny. It did drag on a bit after that until the adventure stories started.

I just finished reading The Night Circus and there was a similar branding/scarring/binding during a first meeting there too, though with a more innocent character than Loki. I think Loki was still quite naive to the world at that stage.

That is a clever rune. In highschool I used a runic style symbol as my signature. It was like combining 2 angular R's in mirror image (my initials). My husband has a rune tattoo too.

Not very familiar - know most of the names, but not many of the stories. I liked the definition of history being his story.

I thought he had only cut a lock of hair to remeber her by - romantic, but practically shaving her head??? He might lose his head, it doesn't seem to be screwed on properly.

"Better, I'm Loki."

I don't think he will ever be one of the cool kids. I think he will weasel his way out of most of his problems, but someone will get the better of him one day. I think he will keep his head this time.

I'm enjoying it. It took a bit to get into it. It reads easily and funny. Short chapters.

message 23: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (healthyandhappyin90) | 29 comments 1. So, this time I read the synopsis. The road to Ragnarok from Loki's point of view? Promising. He started with the description of the gods - nice snarky comments and all - and a "Stop right there" in the "official" reports. And then we are treated with 20 pages of creationism. What? I feel cheated. What happened to the promised trickster humor?

Tell me about it! I really disliked it. I had to slog through it. I really wanted to quit the book altogether. But in the interest of trying to branch out I kept going!

I was a little surprised. Granted, I don't know too much about Odin, but I always though he was more fair than Loki, not tricking people, guess I was wrong!

I thought it was interesting to say the least.

I thought I was familiar but I don't think I was familiar enough to notice a difference in the portrait of the gods. I did like the way he described them though.

Yeah, well he did promise to make it happen and he seems like a man who will make things happen no matter what the cost or who he hurts. He has no qualms about hurting people. That being said, I do think that he truly had no idea what would happen when he cut Sif's hair.

"Better, I'm Loki."
Too self confident? Maybe. He did trick his way into having some gifts to turn the boat into his favor. Just to let himself get trap into a bet. Any predictions of the outcome?

Well, I think he'll manage to come out on top no matter what happens. He may be punished but it won't be as severe as it could be.

Hmm, well, to be honest I'm not enjoying it much but I think that may be because of the beginning. I am looking forward to the next section to see if I can get into it more.

Odin with the Spear and Loki's eight legs offspring

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Yeah, im with you Amy. Hoping to get into the next section more. Starting it right now.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Questions and Comments Book 1/Lesson 9 - Book 2/Lesson 5

Brokk's gifts

8.Loki managed to get of the bet with nothing more than stitched lips and hurt pride. I always thought the gods were vain, but he takes it to another level. The desire for revenge was a consequence of laughing at him? Really? Not the being treated like a spy and an outcast. Not the being betrayed and tricked by Odin. Laugh. Mocking. Hurt Pride. That was the trigger?

9. So Freyja has a special place on Odin's heart. Off course Loki had to explore it. I'm just thinking that Odin's punishment was too light. Will he resent Loki for showing Freyja's nature?

10. Without the golden apples, the gods get old and wrinkled. So why Idun and her apples were so unprotected? Shouldn't she be a treasure well guarded?

11. Odin knows some tricks too. That choose your husband by the feet idea was clever. I was expecting Loki to be the "lucky one".

12. Frey traded the runesword for his bride. That smells like trouble.

13. Loki is happy? When did that happened? The half demon offsprings were odd (actually the only word that comes to mind is Ewwwww)

14. Since he's taking one god at the time, any theories about who's going to be next?

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments "Burned" by Loki so far

Freyja

Idun and the apples

Skadi

Frey

Angrboda and their "children"

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments *whispers*
Is there anyone reading this who is playing Uncover it?

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Renee wrote: "*whispers*
Is there anyone reading this who is playing Uncover it?"

clever girl :)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Uncover it?

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments One of the team challenges Nicole. Los of fun. You should have a go at the next one.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Whereabouts can I find the rules/thread?

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Over here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

It is a 6 week challenge and we are just starting week 5
We intend to do more of these shorter team challenges this year

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

June 13

8.Loki managed to get of the bet with nothing more than stitched lips and hurt pride. I always thought the gods were vain, but he takes it to another level. The desire for revenge was a consequence of laughing at him? Really? Not the being treated like a spy and an outcast. Not the being betrayed and tricked by Odin. Laugh. Mocking. Hurt Pride. That was the trigger?

Loki really isn't a 'nice' guy or a 'hero', but since coming into this world he has taken on 'human' characteristics like wanting to feel like he belongs I guess!

9. So Freyja has a special place on Odin's heart. Off course Loki had to explore it. I'm just thinking that Odin's punishment was too light. Will he resent Loki for showing Freyja's nature?
I don't think so. He may have set the trap, but she didn't need to walk into it

10. Without the golden apples, the gods get old and wrinkled. So why Idun and her apples were so unprotected? Shouldn't she be a treasure well guarded?
Yeah, really! But I guess if I was a good I wouldn't think I would need to protect stuff either. Who steals from gods? lol

11. Odin knows some tricks too. That choose your husband by the feet idea was clever. I was expecting Loki to be the "lucky one".
me too. that was pretty nifty

message 34: by Kimberly (last edited Jun 14, 2014 03:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kimberly | 24 comments 1. I enjoyed the snarky comments in the descriptions. They get funnier as I return to them after reading some of the events of the book, too. I did find the creationism a little dry, but at the same time appreciated the tone. Loki's observations about the fact that some parts of the stories were obviously metaphorical and about the nature of history depending on who is telling the story. These ideas have some very obvious relevance in modern day religions and histories.

2. I was surprised to see Loki being the trickee rather than the tricker. Makes me wonder if perhaps this is why he becomes the trickster he does - literally his first experience in this world is one of trickery, maybe it made an impression?

3. The runes confuse me a little, I don't really "get" what they are. At first from the description, I got the impression that their power was in the ability to record history (and therefore shape it), and that they were basically just a written language, but it seems they are a lot more than that.

4. I recognize some of the gods names, but beyond that I'm not really familiar with the mythology. I think I'm probably missing out because of it since I can't spot the differences between Loki's view of the gods and their traditional descriptions.

5. I agree. it seems to me like he's just trying to fix mistakes and find a way to dig himself out of the hole he's made than really being a "trickster" so far.

6. But was he really that confident, or does he just tell the story that way? All that stuff at the beginning about how history is controlled by the teller can just as easily apply to his own storytelling.

7. This was definitely a harder book to get in to. I actually like his style of story telling and references later times, etc.

Audrey Jane | 1447 comments Questions 12 June

I liked the introduction of the different gods by Loki but since the reader hasn't any background of the gods or the mythology yet it kind of felt detached and I skimmed through it. I concur with Kimberly, it's definitely more interesting when you read further in the book and then come back to it.
I first thought the creationisme part was a bit out of the blue but it was interesting to read about "Loki's" take on it. I liked when he talks about the metaphorical & literal interpretation of Odin's account. But like others here have pointed out, I don't think the book has a strong beginning.

I think Odin must be smart and ruthless to keep the other gods in line. Loki suggested a bit further that Odin is on par with him when it comes to trickery and cunning but I guess Odin conceals it better.

They remind me of the Greek gods. I guess there are similarities with other mythologies. Although Loki really seems the pariah here.

Not really, just read bits here and there when Scandinavian folklore was used in other books.

I agree. He puts himself into difficult situations and then tries to redeem himself (sometimes with the help of trickery). You kinda want to feel bad for him but you can't because he just keep doing it again.

"Better, I'm Loki."

He does sound overconfident and that vanity puts him into nasty situations.

The book didn't grab me right away. I'm glad it's the BOM or I wouldn't have picked it up before a long time. But the story about the hair and the gifts got me invested and I'm enjoying it now.

message 36: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Comments and questions
June 14th
Book 2/Lesson 6 - Book 2/Lesson 11 Pages 123 - 181

15. I found the story about Thor's hammer being stolen and the way they retrieved it pretty funny. Did you enjoy it?

16. Interesting that Thor and Loki became 'celebrities' after the wedding story. Did you ever think they would become 'partners' (or friends)?!

17. Nice twist to the story with Skrymir. Did you expect it? Why did he decide to tell them the truth before glamouring Utgard rather than just 'disappearing'?

18. Loki is determined to "Get Thor". Can you believe the lengths he is willing to go to?!

19. Lesson 10 starts with the 'quote'

"A bird in the hand will leave you with birdshit on your fingers"

Have you noticed these? Do you think they add to the humour of the novel?

20. As we head into the last part of the novel (book 3) what are your thoughts? Are you enjoying the book so far?

I liked this drawing of Skymir and Thor

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Just finished yesterday's reading and I'm so glad that it's picked up. How's everyone else liking it?

Audrey Jane | 1447 comments Nicole wrote: "Just finished yesterday's reading and I'm so glad that it's picked up. How's everyone else liking it?"

I will finish it tonight. I hadn't expected to like it as much as I do. I'm glad it got picked as BOM. The book reads like a train. One of my favourite passages is when Thor and Loki are visiting the giants in Utgard and the subsequent competitions :)

Questions June 13

8. Maybe being laughed at is something new for him and he doesn't know how to handle it. It was a big humiliation for him.

9. The punishment was light. I had expected something that would make her remember the episode forever or something like that. No, I don't think so, it was mostly Freyja's doing.

10. It does seems a bit strange maybe they think themselves untouchable. I wonder if they stop eating those apples, are they turning mortal?

11. That was indeed amusing and it would have been really fun to see Loki paired up with Skadia. The tension at home!

12. It's seems that all those events and Loki's trickery is a built up to the alluded 'Ragnarok'.

Questions 14 June

15. Yes. Although Thor is very hot-tempered. Did the whole party really had to die? Loki played the role of the handmaid like he does that all the time :)

16. I would like to think so but there has been too much tension and friction between those two already. But it would be interesting to see them fighting side by side.

17. That was one of my favourite parts. Somehow I had a feeling something was off and they had been tricked. I think it was necessary to explain that to them afterwards so Loki and co. knew that they had been outsmarted and got a taste of their own medicine.

18. He knows no boundaries. He's capable of anything.

19. It gives you a small hint of what is to come. I like it.

20. I'm surprised I'm enjoying it so much.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Questions and Comments Book 3/Lesson 1 - Book 3/Lesson 9

21. Hel wants the golden boy for her. Meaning he has to die. And to the hands of Loki, so he can collect the favor. Odin will never forgive that

22. What do you think about Odin's deception to deal with "the werewolf problem"? It almost seems that he's afraid of Loki, don't you agree?

23. All those dreams about Balder's death and the Ragnarok. This section is a bit dark. And now that Loki knows the truth, he's not dealing with it. A case of curiosity killed the cat?

24. Thoughts about Balder's death and failed returning to life? I already hear the myth but had no idea it was his brother that killed him.

25. I'm still without words about the party crashing. Gods don't take being shamed on a public display well.

26. They killed the twins? Really? I was trying to look at Loki as the bad guy, but the Asgard finest are not helping.

27. And when you think that things can't get worse for Loki, the spitting snake appears. This section was rather dark. Any predictions for the last section? Apart from the ragnarok, the fall of Asgard's gods and Loki's suffering?

Clare Butler | 294 comments Better late than never!!

Questions and Comments Foreword - Book 1/Lesson 8

I liked the beginning. I have never read any mythology books before and when the first bit was about the Creation story it gave me something to latch on to - something I recognised. I loved his sarky comments in the list of characters but even there, I sensed a real arrogance.

That was a crafty move from Odin, but I think it is the only way to treat Loki

I'm not sure I understand about the runes yet. There are lots of bits I don't understand but I guess it is because I'm not used to these sort of books -hopefully I'll get more as I keep reading.

No, I had not heard any of this before.

I can't believe he did that! Fancy cutting her hair. He deserved to get in trouble - I do find him quite immature generally. I'm not sure I like him.

"Better, I'm Loki."

He'll get away with it as he always seems to.

I don't think I'm into it yet. I am getting the basic story but I must admit I am reading it quite fast and just skimming the bits I don't understand. I find it quite complicated. It reminds me of reading a book in a different language when I was doing my German degree - I would understand the basic plot but wouldn't think about every single word!!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Questions and Comments for Book 3/Lesson 10 - end

28. At first I thought strange Sigyn taking care of Loki. Specially because he was the reason their sons where killed. But maybe that was the reason? To see his suffering never ends? To hear him beg and have hope just to see it shattered?

29. Finally the sorcerer returns. And Loki is treated like a god like he was promised to. What do you think about the gathering of allies using the power of Dream?

30.Although sometimes in this section I started to get worried it turned out to be as boring as the world creation - even with power plays, backstabbing and the birds in human form - the actual battle got me interested again. What did you think about Odin's final battle? And Thor killing both Wolf and Serpent before collapsing?

31. "That was what hurt me most, I guess; the knowledge that with my help, we could have beaten the prophecy. We could have held Asgard. W could have won."
A bit too little too late?

32.What did you thought of the ending? Did you read the prophecy? What did you think of it?

33. How did you rate the book? Did you like the writing style? It was your first book from Joanne Harris? I've heard that her work is usually quite different. Will you try more books of her?

RAGNAROK

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments ooo I'm a bit behind on this one.

Kimberly | 24 comments catching up after the weekend:

8. I think the laughing and mocking was more the last straw on top of everything else.

9. It didn't seem that Loki really DID much in this case. He was more of a tempter than a trickster in this case. Yes, he told her about the necklace, but everything else was really on her, I don't think Odin has any right to blame Loki.

10. Maybe they're just naïve? What strikes me is how many similarities between different mythologies there seem to be. This reminded me of Hercules stealing the golden apples.

11. I was expecting it to be Loki, too.

12. definitely

13. Very odd- particularly that they are all different species despite having the same 2 parents.

15. This is where I really started getting into the book. It seems there is a bit more flow now. This story just made me laugh.

16. I think "friends" is a bit of a stretch

17. I think he told the truth in order to boast about out tricking the trickster

18. Not overly surprised as this IS Loki we're talking about, but at the same time it definitely seems like a bit of an over reaction. I don't get the impression Thor has been so intentional in his actions that have hurt Loki.

19. I love the quotes- humor with a hint of foreshadowing!

20. It was a rocky start, but I'm definitely starting to get into it now.

21. Maybe, maybe not. Odin has heard the prophecy from the oracle and may view the death as inevitable because of that.

22. Again, Odin seems to be as much of a trickster as Loki in some ways.

23. Perhaps curiosity did literally kill the cat in this case. I get the impression from the wording: "you can't [stop it from happening]. You've heard it now. Loki, this is Destiny" that perhaps it wouldn't have been his destiny if he hadn't heard it.

24. I wonder, if Loki hadn't orchestrated it, if it somehow would have happened anyway, given that it was spoken by the oracle.

25. Nope they don't. I don't have a lot of sympathy for them though, given the way they have treated Loki.

26. I definitely don't feel like Loki is any badder than the rest of them (especially after they killed his kids!). Of course, that's really the whole point of the book, so yeah.

27. Definitely dark. It kind of reminds me think of Prometheus having his liver continuously pecked out in greek mythology. I don't know what to expect in the last section, but I'm assuming Loki isn't going to spend the rest of the book chained there.

Now to go read today's section.

message 44: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 17, 2014 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Questions and Comments Book 3/Lesson 1 - Book 3/Lesson 9

22. What do you think about Odin's deception to deal with "the werewolf problem"? It almost seems that he's afraid of Loki, don't you agree?

I think you are right - there does seem to be a bit of fear there

23. All those dreams about Balder's death and the Ragnarok. This section is a bit dark. And now that Loki knows the truth, he's not dealing with it. A case of curiosity killed the cat?

Indeed!

24. Thoughts about Balder's death and failed returning to life? I already hear the myth but had no idea it was his brother that killed him.
This was new to me, so unexpected. I can't help but think this book would work better for people that are familiar with the mythology

25. I'm still without words about the party crashing. Gods don't take being shamed on a public display well.
It was a very human response

26. They killed the twins? Really? I was trying to look at Loki as the bad guy, but the Asgard finest are not helping.
That was really bad. And then Loki just didn't care!

27. And when you think that things can't get worse for Loki, the spitting snake appears. This section was rather dark. Any predictions for the last section? Apart from the ragnarok, the fall of Asgard's gods and Loki's suffering?
The book stalled a bit for me getting to this last section. I think I liked the middle bit more ;)
The spitting snake thing is awful!!

message 45: by Sonia (last edited Jun 17, 2014 04:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Karen wrote: "The book stalled a bit for me getting to this last section. I think I liked the middle bit more ;)"

Yeah. His retelling of the tricks he pulled off were amusing. Is how I like my mythology. Basically I love top hear about myths, as long is not about the creation or end of the world - unless off course it is a story explanation of how the moon does the circle or how the spiders appeared.

message 46: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sonia wrote: unless off course it is a story explanation of how the moon does the circle or how the spiders appeared. "..."

sounds intriguing!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Karen wrote: "Sonia wrote: unless off course it is a story explanation of how the moon does the circle or how the spiders appeared. "..."

sounds intriguing!"

The spider was a lost challenge with Athena, I think. I read a greek myth anthology a long time ago. Lesson to learn, never mock a god, never say you are as *adjective* as a god, and specially never, ever, ever, say you are better than a god, even if you beat them on a challenge.

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don't think I'd ever even dare to do any of those things! teehee

Hey Sonia it surprises me you haven't gone along with the Neil Gaiman reads. They seem up your alley, especially American Gods and Anansi Boys

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Karen wrote: "I don't think I'd ever even dare to do any of those things! teehee

Hey Sonia it surprises me you haven't gone along with the Neil Gaiman reads. They seem up your alley, especially [book:American G..."

I'll add them to the list then.

I wasn't wooed by Caroline, and after that I struggled with time to read issues, so I opted Neil Gaiman out.

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I understand! I think start with Anansi Boys and if you like it go with American Gods. The audio for Anansi Boys is Lenny Henry who does a great job

« previous 1