Mic Breaks Only discussion

Posts Gone By > Watcha Reading in May/June

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited May 01, 2014 08:54PM) (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments I completed Talking with My Mouth Full: My Life as a Professional Eater and it was somewhat inconsistent in keeping my attention from one chapter to the next. I especially liked the chapters that related to her experience on Top Chef since that is why I picked up this book in the first place. While Gail is not my favorite Top Chef judge, I was interested in knowing more about her story. I felt like some of the early chapters, specifically delving into some of her brother's struggles with mental health issues, were misplaced in the context of this book and were uncomfortable to read. I have also read The Man Who Ate Everything so I enjoyed the section on her work as an assistant to Jeffrey Steingarten. Although I was impressed with her dedication in going to culinary school with no real intention of becoming a chef, by the end of the book I felt like she had been fairly lucky at making networking contacts in the food industry and that is primarily why she had ended up on TV with a really great foodie job.

message 2: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Jun 25, 2014 12:50AM) (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments We spent some time at the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport and I got a fair amount of reading done over the past 3 days.

I read How NOT to RV; The Rvers Guide to RVing in the Absurd. The author has a knack for self-deprecation and I enjoyed many of her follies as a newbie RV owner. I can't say that I'm considering purchasing an RV after reading this story, quite the opposite in fact. Whether you are an RV fanatic, a B&B lover, or a standard hotel stayer, you can find something entertaining in these funny stories about travel. I did feel a commonality with the author in yearning to break out of the every-day-hum-drum, search for adventure, and broaden your horizons in the process.

I am on Chapter 5 of No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden. This is a book recommended by and loaned from a friend. Although it is outside of my normal reading scope, it has been an interesting and informative read so far.

I have finally made progress on 1Q84 and am flabbergasted that I halted at the spot that I did. How could I have taken a break during such plot twists and turns? I am looking forward to delving into the last third of this book.

message 3: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Jun 01, 2014 06:47PM) (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments I finished No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden. I particularly enjoyed the narrative on SEAL application, selection, and training. Although the author's recollection of missions served was interesting, it wasn't my favorite part of the book. Diagrams went a long way in enhancing the story and the photos were extremely helpful since I wasn't very familiar with SEAL gear and equipment.

My primary complaints include some minor grammatical problems. Also, my political perspective differed greatly from that of the narrator so there were times when the delivery of his message was grating.

I am on chapter six of Operation Bonnet: A Novel. This book has potential, but there is something not quite right about it. I haven't read enough to put my finger on what the problem is just yet.

message 4: by Andrew, Wound Up (new)

Andrew Finazzo (johnyqd) | 343 comments My reading mojo has been off. I've piddled around with Merrick and worked my way through quite a few Dr. Who comics.

I've also slacked off in tracking here on goodreads. Last month I zoomed through Isn't It Bromantic? which was a very disappointing sequel.

message 5: by Michelle, Overrun By Pets (last edited Jun 27, 2014 01:26PM) (new)

Michelle Finazzo | 281 comments I am at the very beginning of both 30 Delicious Dump Cake Recipes and Inzared, Queen of the Elephant Riders.

Andrew had been reading The Dragon Reborn aloud, and we FINALLY finished it! The ending was a suspense-filled, action-packed adventure. The story was so fantastic we started The Shadow Rising right away.

I finished reading Operation Bonnet: A Novel. I liked most of the characters, particularly Matt, the main character's best friend/unrequited love interest. I oscillated between liking the main character and being highly annoyed at her lack of maturity. The author had a habit of using a word and then defining it which is an unforgivable act (and a longstanding pet peeve of mine). The segments that included the Amish seemed affected and lacking substance. I LOVE the cover of this book, it is definitely the reason I picked up the book in the first place.

I am halfway through the 3rd book of 1Q84. I have the lofty goal of speed-reading through the remainder of it in the next 5 days.