Goodreads Ireland discussion

Introductions > Sharon Delarose

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (last edited May 01, 2014 07:55PM) (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments I'm a wee bit Irish from several generations back, but more than that, I've developed a very deep love for Ireland's history while writing a book on ancient aliens. I know that sounds a bit daft, but in researching I became immersed in the Tuatha de Danann and Fomorians, their history, their legends, and the possibility that they came down from the stars.

What started out as a few tidbits of history became such an immersion that I'm developing an entire series with Tuatha de Danann and Fomorian characters, plus Fenodyree and Bugganes.

I've always felt close to Ireland, even though I've never been there. Historically, it is nothing short of amazing!

I love you guys!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group, Sharon. We have Irish, expat Irish, decendant Irish, Immigrant Irish and plain non-Irish members here. We mostly just like other people's company.

What kind of stance does your book take pn Aliens? I'm an out-and-out non-believer, but that's not to say I'm not intrigued by stories and accounts.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Jamie, my body is in the U.S. too, but my spirit spends half its time in Ireland, and the other half with our two dogs :-)

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Declan, I am a firm believer, even moreso now after delving into history. The more I dug into ancient narratives, the more descriptions I found that sounded like modern technology in use thousands of years ago.

The one thing that frustrated me, though, was how much history has been rewritten. I don't know how many ancient narratives are true to events, anywhere in the world, except those that were etched in stone. Everybody wanted to erase those who came before, which is incredibly sad to me.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments I really believe that ancient tales have a grain of truth, and one that fascinated me was the Manx Fenodyree. Apparently an old Manx Bible referred to Satyrs as Fenodyree, which made me really curious, so I dug deeper. I found out that there were ancient races of short, hairy humanoids, that we're just now finding the bones of elsewhere in the world. And there are still sightings in remote regions. One example is Flores Man. So the Fenodyree could have been one of those races. This is not extraterrestrial, though :-) Just fascinating!

message 6: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Okay, don't get me going! I get pretty passionate, and wordy :-)

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Welcome Sharon.
We have to hope there is intelligent life out there somewhere because there's very little of it here . ;-)

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Paul, you cracked me up! Actually, we've got tons of intelligent life: our dogs and cats in particular ;-) And horses... and all the other wondrous creatures.

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Littlemissmuffet, we've had tales of giants all through history, all around the world. Many civilizations believed an entire race of giants preceded Humans, but the stories are usually singular. One giant here, one there. In Ireland, there was an entire race of them, known as Fomorians, and the mythology was pretty vivid. While those stories don't bring them down from the stars, elsewhere in the world, they do. I believe the Fomorians were not extraterrestrial, but were descendants of the giants "who came down." We've actually found some of their bones, and I'm writing about this separately. So the first book was non-fiction, the second was fiction and started a new sci fi series based on the Fomorians and Tuatha de Danann, and the third and fourth books will be sequels of the first two :-)

message 10: by Sharon (last edited May 02, 2014 08:18AM) (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments What fascinates me is that the Fomorians of Ireland match the regions of the later Vikings. I created a map for my own use, and logged their regions from every source I could find. Where they lived, and HOW they lived, shared a lot with the Vikings except for the gods. The Fomorians believed in a god that's mentioned in the Bible as someone you DON'T worship, Molech, and I found no overlap with the Norse gods. Both groups cut off your nose for non-payment of taxes (tributes). And both preferred to be at sea on ships, pirating.

message 11: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments Declan wrote: "Welcome to the group, Sharon. We have Irish, expat Irish, decendant Irish, Immigrant Irish and plain non-Irish members here. We mostly just like other people's company.

Oy! Less of the 'plain' ;)

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Isabella, I managed to follow two lines back to Ireland, and another to Wales, but there are others which I've never gotten enough info to follow.

Juliana Fitzmaurice in 1249 Dublin, married to Sir John de Cogan, was my 22nd great grandmother.

Lafracoth ingen Muiredag ua Briain in 1076 Munster, Limerick, Ireland, was my 26th great grandmother.

Pretty diluted, I know. My father claims I have Irish through his mother, but he couldn't give me enough data to follow. Mostly from him comes Sicilian from Corleone through his father, who did everything in their power to remain private, and his aunt Lucy who he calls "the witch." I've got notes on Lucy somewhere. I've begged him to dig for more info, but he didn't have it to give, and my attempts to trace back through his mother failed miserably.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Welcome Sharon.

That you managed to get that far back is impressive. Records in Ireland are rather sketchy for a variety of reasons including the fire in the Four Courts during the civil war when a lot of records were destroyed

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Part of it came from genealogies published in old books :-) I have read about the massive destruction of records, which seems to be common all around the world, and it breaks my heart. Every country that's ever invaded another, went out of their way to destroy every document that existed. Ireland was hit hard with so many invasions. I'm not sure how many records, in Ireland or anywhere, are true to the original. Invaders tend to go in and rewrite what they don't destroy, putting a new twist on it.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Something I learned about genealogies in general... our ancestors got the notion that every one of us must trace back cleanly to someone in the Bible, so they "nudged" some of the old genealogies in that direction, even if they couldn't find a link.

I believe that happened with the genealogies of the Tuatha de Danann. Someone decided that they, the Fomorians, the Milesians, and the Fir Bolg/Galioin/Domnann all came from a single family, and made the genealogies match that theory. If you study the descriptions of each, it doesn't sound possible that they were of a single seed.

The Fomorians were giants, unpleasant giants, bloodthirsty. The Tuatha brought benefit to Ireland and the surrounding countries, they built, they taught, and they overturned ugly practices. The first-generation Tuatha were always described as "tall, blonde, with thick manes of hair, and piercing blue eyes" but never as giants. They were taller than the Fir Bolgs, shorter than the Fomorians. The Fir Bolgs and their kin were short, swarthy, dark hair. The Milesians were mixed by the time they got to Ireland.

We can do our best to trace genealogies back, but the truth is that we can't give them 100% accuracy, as we're relying on old records that weren't always correct.

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Something else I learned about old genealogies, this studying old books from England. Now we have computers, and in the U.S., we're given a social security card and number at a young age. We're permanently identified with a name, and a birth certificate, as public record.

But before computers, names were written as they sounded. If you got married and someone wrote it down, they wrote your name as it sounded to them. Someone else writing about you, if you committed a crime and they were reporting it, wrote your name as THEY heard it. A second marriage, ditto. So one person's name had multiple spellings in historical documents, with nothing to connect them as one.

I wrote extensively about the murder of Edmund Halley's father, and that's where I ran into this issue. So anyone doing an old genealogy could end up following the wrong person. Halley had no less than ten spellings: Hawley, Halle, Haley, etc.

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Delarose | 15 comments Edmund Halley being of Halley's Comet, BTW. :D

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I often worried how people got around the problem of spelling. Particularly from times when most people were illiterate.