Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > May: chipping away at Mount TBR

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John, Moderator (last edited May 01, 2014 07:05PM) (new)

John | 3669 comments Have at it folks -- did they turn out duds, gems ... or just okay.

(late April reads are fine, too)

message 2: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments I got through 2 from my Off-the-Back-Shelf pile:
Watership Down by Richard Adams Watership Down and The White Dragon (Pern, #3) by Anne McCaffrey The White Dragon

Both were good, but Watership Down was the better of the two. Ralph Cosham did an excellent job of the varying voices, and, for instance, even used a short, sharp delivery style for the dog, which made his speeches sound like they were barked. Dick Hill did a good job with The White Dragon, but I didn't feel that the audio format added anything in particular to the story; perhaps it was that I'm so very familiar with it from all the times I've re-read it.

message 3: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3271 comments CatBookMom wrote: "I got through 2 from my Off-the-Back-Shelf pile:
Watership Down by Richard AdamsWatership Down and The White Dragon (Pern, #3) by Anne McCaffreyThe White Dragon

Both were good, ..."

Like everything in audiobooks it's a matter of personal opinion, but I thought Dick Hill's rendition of the white dragon's voice had a sweet ingenuous quality that added to my appreciation of the story. Then again, I never read it in print.

message 4: by Sandra (last edited May 02, 2014 06:39AM) (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I've been chipping away at my list. I'd discovered 36 un-listened to books a couple of months ago and am now down to 14! The last one I listened to was The Pride of Chanur, so then had to veer off to listen to the rest of the series. I'm now listening to Sworn to Silence, as someone in this group mentioned the series, and I've always been fascinated with the Amish. Grew up in Northern Indiana not far from Shipsewanna where there was a huge general store with all sorts of fascinating Amish things....so not back to list yet. Next one up in list is Super Sad True Love Story.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I am listening to Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway. I purchased it in October, 2013. Hope to get a few books pruned off the backlog before the next Dresden Files book is released.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments Jeanie wrote: "CatBookMom wrote: "I got through 2 from my Off-the-Back-Shelf pile:
Watership Down by Richard AdamsWatership Down and The White Dragon (Pern, #3) by Anne McCaffrey[book:The White Dragon|127586..."

Dick Hill is very uneven. I've listened to some books he's narrated that I loved, and others I hated.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments I finally started The Pillars of the Earth which has been on my TBR for years. At a few minutes into the introduction, I think I'm going to enjoy it.

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Oh Margaret, I loved Pillars of the Earth and the next one, World Without End. I hope you enjoy it!

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1521 comments I read pillars of the earth for a humanities class in college - one of the few books I actually read and didn't just BS my way through it

message 10: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 58 comments Not sure how this works but these are the audio books that I have yet to finish or start.

Ready Player One
The Name of the Wind
River God
Champion
The Lost Hero
The Dovekeepers
The Beginning of Everything
A Storm of Swords
Storm Front
Stoneheart
Nefertiti
Stray

I hope to be able to finish The Name of the wind this month. will mark off when complete

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1521 comments listening to Chill Factor which I bought in Aug 2012

message 12: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Once the Armchair Audies are over I should be able to get back to getting caught up with mount TBL.

message 13: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I should finish The Persimmon Tree tomorrow. This is an enjoyable story, and once again, Humphrey Bower proves to be the perfect narrator for it.

I'm going to take a break from my TBR list for awhile now. I'll pick it up again later this year. I've made a good dent in the book list I haven't gotten around to reading. Time to get to the books I've started accumulating during last fall's sales. :)

The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss
The Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov
The Far Pavilions, M. M. Kaye
Brain Rules, Dr. John Medina
Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides
The Talisman, Stephen King and Peter Straub
North and South, Elizabeth Gaskell
Royal Blood, Rhys Bowen
Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer
Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier
Monster Hunter Vendetta, Larry Correia
The Persimmon Tree, Bryce Courtenay
The Twelve Clues of Christmas, Rhys Bowen
Four Fires, Bryce Courtenay
Theft of Swords, Michael Sullivan

message 14: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 25, 2014 07:42AM) (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments My goal is to listen to 35 of 79 unlistened audiobooks bought 2012 and earlier and just track those purchased after 2012. I knocked off 14 so far, so 21 left. Have 4 more Dresden audiobooks to knock off this month.

Audiobooks - 2012 and earlier
15. Turn Coat - Jim Butcher
16. Changes - Jim Butcher

Audiobooks - bought after 2012
6. Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks

Not much listened to this month. Health issues made concentration difficult.

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1521 comments @missusie - I am soo underwhelmed with the 3 books i've listened to in my Armchair Audies category this year that I am just not inclined to listen to the last two...

message 16: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Dee wrote: "@missusie - I am soo underwhelmed with the 3 books i've listened to in my Armchair Audies category this year that I am just not inclined to listen to the last two..."

I hear you, I am slogging my through one right now. The first one I listened to in the Thriller category was so fabulous that I know within a half an hour whether any others have a chance to beat it, but feel like I should try to listen to the whole thing.

message 17: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments Listening to Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain. Opinionated and arrogant, but ultimately very entertaining, and narrated by the author (how could it not be?)

It's not a sequel to Kitchen Confidential (although touted as such) so much as a collection of memoiresque essays. But still worth the price of admission if you find Bourdain entertaining.

HBJ

message 18: by Tjo (new)

Tjo | 56 comments I've been slogging through some old TBRs since November, but this is my first update. I'm really surprised how many that I've really enjoyed some despite passing them over for years, especially Washington: A Life, John Adams and Truman. I think the length initially intimidated me, but they were all amazing, some of the best audiobooks I've heard.

Others show their age somewhat, but are still enjoyable, like Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change and The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More.

There've been a few I haven't enjoyed as well, but mostly for issues of personal taste and pet peeves.

Overall, I'm really glad someone suggested this project last fall! My backlog needed it, and I'm enjoying some great books I've passed over for too long.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1521 comments i really enjoyed Washington: A life as well Tjo - i'm not normally a NF book in audio type fan because I like being able to go back and forth but this was recorded in a way that made it easy to kep track

message 20: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 420 comments I finished listening to Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway and moved on to Glasshouse by Charles Stross. Both were books that i had a hard time getting into. I started and stopped several times in the past. I ended up liking Angelmaker quite a lot once I got into the flow about halfway through. Glasshouse turned really good after the first or second chapter. I just had a really difficult time feeling the beginning.

message 21: by Jez (new)

Jez Layman (typesetjez) | 3 comments I just finished One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories, which was good, but maybe not as good as I was hoping. It put a lot of faith in its star power and didn't have the best quality recordings.

Currently listening to Tell the Wolves I'm Home for a book club. It's good, but not great.

Next up: Flora and Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures!

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 163 comments Finished Spellbinder read by the author. The story was just ok but the listening experience was improved by Helen Stringer's excellent reading. Started Little Bee and it has kept my interest so far. I really want to know more of what happened to the characters in the past and am hoping I'll find out.

message 23: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1061 comments Listening to Ivanhoe read by Michael Page. I got it year of more ago because I so enjoyed his narration of the Locke Lamora series and I had never read this classic. It's actually not that much of a leap from fantasy to historical fiction about the Middle Ages The writing is pretty flowery and I'm not sure I'm keeping all the characters straight, but the narration is again excellent. The funny thing is that I am halfway through the book and the title character has barely been glimpsed.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I started this project with 36 books and am down to 24, including recent additions. Not bad progress, I think.

message 25: by Kristie (last edited May 24, 2014 07:05PM) (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Sandra wrote: "I started this project with 36 books and am down to 24, including recent additions. Not bad progress, I think."

Absolutely!

My TBR list consisted of books I've had for way over a year. I've whittled that list down from 15 to 3. Yea! Of course, I've accumulated so many books in the past few months that I'm just perpetually a year behind, but at least I've now got a system going so that books no longer fall off the radar for years.

message 26: by Pam (new)

Pam | 8 comments Currently listening to Dragonfly in Amber. Enjoying it immensely. Hoping to get through more of the Outlander series before the TV series comes out this year. I have too many books in my library...the number of books on my list NEVER goes down. It always gets bigger. And now, the 2014 Audies are out....more to add to the list!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.