EPL Virtual Book Club discussion

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
Hotel on the Corner > Discussion of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EffinghamPL (new)

EffinghamPL (goodreadscomeffinghampl) | 25 comments Mod
I know from comments that we received virtually and through our in-person book discussion that everyone enjoyed The Last Letter from Your Lover by JoJo Moyes. Hopefully, everyone will also enjoy May's choice, Jamie Ford's first novel Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. I read this book three years ago and still recommend it enthusiastically! If you haven't had a chance to pick up a copy, don't worry. We have copies available for check out at the library.
Join us for a wonderful, insightful read this May. We'll begin conversing next week.

Shari (slglankow) | 14 comments Just started to read this book last night! :) So far so good!

message 3: by Johnna (new)

Johnna | 10 comments Thanks, Shari! If you have a chance, check out this link to and watch the video of the actual Panama Hotel.
http://www.bookbrowse.com/reviews/ind...
It helped me picture the setting even more.

Shari (slglankow) | 14 comments Thanks Johnna! I will! I love being able to visual actual places that I am reading about!!!

message 5: by Madonna (new)

Madonna | 12 comments Thanks for the link to the video; I'd not seen that before. It does enrich the reading.

Shari (slglankow) | 14 comments Just finished this wonderful book!!!!! When is the discussion at the library again???? If I can't make it to the actual discussion, when will we start on here?

Thanks for suggesting this great book!

message 7: by Johnna (new)

Johnna | 10 comments Hi, Shari- So glad you enjoyed this book! I loved it, too. The book discussion is scheduled for Thursday, May 22 @ 10 a.m. I hope you can both make it to that event, but in the meantime, why don't we begin sharing our thoughts?

What made this novel such a great read for you?

Shari (slglankow) | 14 comments I loved how the we got to see the main character as a boy and as a grown man. I loved how we learned about his childhood as he is reconnecting with his son.... I felt like I was part of the story. I felt like I was curled up with a mug of tea listening along side his son as he was telling him about growing up in 1942.

This is a great novel about Japanese culture, Chinese culture, and the American response to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I loved the three different perspectives of national loyalty.

I also love how the author used different types of friendship and love to share this story.

I could go on and on... but this is a good start! :)

message 9: by EffinghamPL (new)

EffinghamPL (goodreadscomeffinghampl) | 25 comments Mod
Thanks, Shari.
I also loved the tone of this book. It is just like you are sitting alongside Henry absorbing his story.
When I think about World War II, I immediately think of Europe and the Jewish displacement and genocide and yet so much happened right here in the United States, too. It amazes me that our country (and for what may have been excellent reasons) feared some of our own citizens. I could appreciate Henry's dilemma and his struggle with which national loyalty to follow. I wonder if the characters would have been older if they would have been able to make a different decision? Or would Henry have been more like to choose to be like his dad?

message 10: by Madonna (new)

Madonna | 12 comments Henry's lack of bitterness was very surprising. I don't think I would have reacted as he did. I did find the history in the book enlightening.
Maybe the author was forcing a bit some of the parallels between fathers/sons, but I, overall, enjoyed this book. And the minuses were too small, too few to make me hold them against the book.
The author set quite a task for himself in this book. He had quite a story to tell and the scope is admirable. He really didn't wander off the focus nor become too caught up in any one detail.