/r/Fantasy Discussion Group discussion

Hollow World
This topic is about Hollow World
2014 Book Club Discussions > May 2014: Hollow World - First Impressions and Spoiler Free Discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (tenaciousreader) | 301 comments Let us know your first impressions of The Hollow World. You can also ask questions/make comments as you read, you just have to use spoiler tags.

Brandon (bsoholic) | 1 comments I am only to chapter 6, though I am rather enjoying it so far. Kinda crime novel fantasy mix. Interesting for sure.

Karl | 7 comments I'm about half way through, and I'm enjoying the pace along with the nice blend of world-building balanced with actual story.
Some rather unique ideas on the future, as well as different takes on the same old ethics/humanity sort of themes.
As I'm used to reading books as a part of a series, it will be interesting to see whether I get enough out of the standalone book...but it's been a good start.

message 4: by Frances (last edited May 06, 2014 01:01AM) (new)

Frances | 14 comments I'm having trouble getting this book in Australia. Does anyone have any suggestions where I can buy a copy?
Update:
Don't worry I've found a copy on Amazon for my phone. I just hate reading with backlight and was looking forward to holding some paper for a change. *sigh*
Feel free to comment if you know of any Aussie book stores though.

message 5: by Michael (last edited May 06, 2014 06:04AM) (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Frances, Hollow World in ebook form is sold worldwide. Here is the link for the kindle version ($5.59). For paper, I'd use Book Depository They have free shipping to your part of the world and have the book at an 18% discount. That means you can get it for $12.93 including shipping.

Matt Hageman I'm a little annoyed that the book is only half the pages it says it is on kindle because of the pg copy... Also the edition seems to skip randomly throughout the book on both my kindle and iPod.
The writing is good as Sullivan always is, but these issues ruin some of the book.

message 7: by Frances (new)

Frances | 14 comments Yippee, thanks Michael :)

message 8: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments @Matt - as I mentioned in the forward, I'll send you copies with "just the clean" or "just the explicit language" - just drop me an email.

I've not heard of any "random skips - and that would be pretty hard to do as the chapters don't alternate. But I'll keep my ear to the ground to determine if anyone else is having problems.

message 9: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments @Frances - you are most welcome.

message 10: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Hageman Michael, just page numbers made jumps, but I realize this could have been easily caused my me using different devices. Your book is amazing so far, just like the other 5 i've read by you. No explicit language yet, so I don't see the need for a clean version so far.

message 11: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying the read. The f-bomb comes up in the third scene of the book where Warren is talking about what a f*cking paradise the 1950's were. If you've not found any you are probably reading the "clean version."

message 12: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Hageman While I respect the fact there is a clean version, I do not think it is needed for one f bomb... Maybe could have just changed the swear word?

message 13: by Karl (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karl | 7 comments Matt wrote: "While I respect the fact there is a clean version, I do not think it is needed for one f bomb... Maybe could have just changed the swear word?"
I think too many authors shy away from swearing.
While it doesn't need to be in there, it doesn't need to not be in there either.

Balance is key IMO.

message 14: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments @Matt - it's not one f-bomb - I just mentioned where the first one is. Certain characters in the book tend to swear by their very nature so the clean version has quite a few word substitutions. I don't know the exact number but I'd say about 100 words were changed between the two versions.

message 15: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments @Karl - for this book my vision of Warren was that he would swear like a soldier. I wasn't "shy" about it I wrote him exactly as I thought he would talk. It was feedback from my readership that made me realize that some readers are really turned off by such things...so producing the two versions just made it so that people could chose what was best for them.

message 16: by Karl (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karl | 7 comments @Michael
I imagine that having a clean version is the only way to keep the masses happy. That or invent your own swear words, which you bleezing well did :-P
I personally relate better to blunt language I guess..

message 17: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 140 comments I think what I'm surprised by, is it seems as if I would have been better off to NOT include the clean version. Oh well...learn something new everyday.