The Secret Garden > First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
First impressions of The Secret Garden

message 2: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 4 stars

I vaguely remember this story but I'm suspected I might be way off when I get to reading this

Breanne I think this is going to be a much darker novel than I expected it to be. The main character, Mary, is also a huge surprise. I'm keen to keep reading though.

M.L. | 309 comments My first impression is that I feel sorry for Mary. Burnett's description is uncompromising (and funny too) - "... by the time she was six years old she was as tyrannical and selfish a little pig as ever lived."

And here I think she captures the situation ... "She doesn't know where home is!" said Basil, with seven year old scorn. A know-it-all first grader can be very scornful.

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 31 comments I had never read the book before but I grew up watching the movie so I had a pretty good idea of what I was in for.

message 6: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 120 comments I read this in February with another group, and I remember at that time, only remembering the very basic outlines of the story, from when I was a kid. It was SUCH a pleasure to read during February, because I was in the midst of a pretty brutal winter, and I just loved reading about the green things poking up out of the ground :D

Bonita I read A Little Princess to my daughter several years ago. I wish we had gone ahead and read this one as well. Unfortunately, she's now 16 and really not interested in read-alouds. I love the descriptions of the characters as well as the home and garden.

Laura | 1 comments loving re-reading this book :) bringing back memories of sitting in my nans garden wishing it was a bit less tidy! I remember the story well but am still enjoying the chance to regress to being younger !

message 9: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm really enjoying this novel, I has a nice blend of gothic and the Romantic

message 10: by M.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 309 comments I'm about a third into it and really enjoying it. The moor is fascinating, a place with wild ponies. Mary's interaction with everyone and everything and her changing personality is great.

message 11: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 120 comments I just finished a 're-read' via listening to the audio half of the u I have (kindle ebook/audible audiobook pair). I had just read it in Feb, so I didn't think I'd read it again, but I ended up doing the listen while working on other things.

I loved it just as much the second time, even though it was so close in time to the first read. Reading about the pointy green shoots pushing up through the earth is just so fabulous for some reason.

I just noticed the star rating for me is wrong. The 4-star is for the audio. Book is 5-star for me. :)

message 12: by Mish (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 92 comments This is the first time reading this book and I'm about half way through.

I'm really like it. Initially I was taken back by the fierce outburst by Mary & the prejudice comments at the beginning of the book, but now it’s progressed into a beautiful and simple tale. With all the birds, greenery and kids growing happiness seems to have mellow and soothing effect on me.

I think it’s just lovely and I can see why people tend to re-read it so often.

message 13: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish wrote: "This is the first time reading this book and I'm about half way through.

I'm really like it. Initially I was taken back by the fierce outburst by Mary & the prejudice comments at the beginning of ..."

I like that we have a Children's book with 'unlikeable' characters in it.

message 14: by Mish (last edited May 26, 2014 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 92 comments Michael wrote: "Mish wrote: "This is the first time reading this book and I'm about half way through.

I'm really like it. Initially I was taken back by the fierce outburst by Mary & the prejudice comments at the ..."

Yeah unlikable characters certainly make it very interesting. I haven’t read a hardly any children’s classic so I probably imagined her behaviour to be subtle - considering it's a children's book, and a classic one - so it was a surprise but a pleasant one :)