The Secret Garden
This topic is about The Secret Garden
The Secret Garden > Final Thoughts *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
Final thoughts on The Secret Garden

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 31 comments I love how this story reflects on the healing power of nature. It can be a physical ailment, an emotional ailment, or a mental ailment and the garden will be right there to help. I am a gardener so this story holds special meaning to me. I wish I would have took the time to read this book as a child instead of opting for the movie instead. Very good book and easy enough for a child to read but written well enough for an adult to enjoy as well. 3 out of 5 from me.

Vickie I never read this when I was a child so I've been trying to think if I would have like this book then. Reading it now I was still and drawn into the mystery of it and loved reading the Yorkshire dialog. It actually resonates with some health books I've been reading recently that also encourage time outdoors, being kind to yourself and letting yourself have time and space to heal. Glad I read this before seeing any movie or stage adaptations. I'm also glad I didn't read any analysis about the book before I read it or I think I would have been looking for the Christian Science themes and let it bug me before giving the story a try.

Breanne This was such a beautiful read. Compelling, full of mystery and heartwarming, even for an adult. A true testament to the power of positive thinking and affirmative action. I loved the characters, their development was brilliant, and when Colin walked into the house with his father... What a beautiful ending!

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) Bre wrote: "This was such a beautiful read. Compelling, full of mystery and heartwarming, even for an adult. A true testament to the power of positive thinking and affirmative action. I loved the characters, t..."

Oh, yes, every time I get there I'm in tears! (The Secret Garden is one of my favourite children's books and I have read it a couple of times)

M.L. | 309 comments I thought it was a wonderful story, very glad to have read it.

Karen I don't recall reading this book as a child. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a classic right up my alley. As much as many others dislike how thoroughly evil Mary and Colin are, I love it. And what would be the point of the book otherwise? Mary's attitude toward her Indian servants and Colin's treatment of the household staff did not surprise me given the time period in which the book was written, but the one line that really took me aback was, "It was not the custom to say 'please' and 'thank you'and Mary had always slapped her Ayah in the face when she was angry." That line certainly stayed with me! And already, even as she was thinking that, she knew she couldn't slap Martha and get away with it.

The talk of Magic with a capital M made me wonder if magic was a thinly veiled reference to Christianity but from what research I did, it is more a reference to spirituality and healing through nature. Burnett was influenced by both Christian Science and the New Thought philosophy, both of which promoted positive thinking and a close and harmonious connection with nature as the cure for all ills. And the secret garden proves to be the best medicine for both Colin and Mary. And seemingly, for many of us!

Lisa O'Rourke | 21 comments I read this as a young person and again on a plane flight last year (both times read in one sitting). I was reminded of the importance of friendship, belief in one another and that magical world in which children envelope themselves. Each character reflected those qualities that we all strive to achieve as we grow through life: openness, honesty, assertiveness, tenaciousness and the no nonsense ability to call out each other's weaknesses. The themes of renewal, seasonal change and hope were portrayed throughout with such gentleness and fluidity that it reminds us all of our own childhoods and our own personal changes in character...superb whatever age the reader.

message 9: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 120 comments Lisa wrote: "...superb whatever age the reader. "

Absolutely agree. Just made my daughter download it to her ipad for a road trip. Hope she listens too!

(I gave book 5 star, audiobook 4 star - the rating tag next to my name is displaying audiobook)

Traveling Diva (travelingdiva) I loved it as a child and was happy to read it again. It is still excellent and I think the children were well characterized for their era and class.

message 11: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam (aramsamsam) There are books you can only enjoy as a child. This is not one of them. Yet, I'm glad I read this book when I was a child; it gave me a natural kind of magic when I needed it. Now I might enjoy different parts and details about it, but it doesn't make me love the book less. -

I just considered the other Frances Hodgson Burnett books I've read. In the end, The Secret Garden and A Little Princess are the ones I like best. Which ones do you know? Any experiences with Little Lord Fauntleroy and the like?

message 12: by M.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 309 comments This is the only one I've read but I would like to read another. I thought it was interesting how in this book there were no real villains, in the usual sense, it was more situations aggravated by neglect which made tyrants of both Mary and Colin. Even the doctor who would have inherited if Colin had died was not a 'bad guy', just sort of resigned himself to not inheriting and knew that Colin was getting better. I thought maybe Colin would do something really bratty to Dickon out of jealousy, but he didn't, yet the whole story was really a triumph.

message 13: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa O'Rourke | 21 comments MK I am so envious if your daughter's chance at her first read of this book. It evokes such memories that I am almost on the verge of jealousy. I do hope she enjoys it.

message 14: by MK (new) - rated it 4 stars

MK (wisny) | 120 comments Lisa wrote: "MK I am so envious if your daughter's chance at her first read of this book. It evokes such memories that I am almost on the verge of jealousy. I do hope she enjoys it."

I hope so too! I know she had too much traffic on the way down to listen. Haven't heard yet if she listened while there, or on the way home. She just got home within the last hour. Thx, Lisa :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

This was a favourite of mine as a kid, and one I intend to read to my children in the future. I like how Mary grows and develops as the book progresses.