Cedar Falls Public Library discussion

June Discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
For June we decided to have a couple books for you to chose from instead of the one.

The books are

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Ocean and the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

message 2: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl | 109 comments Mod
Fun! I've read the first three and liked them all a lot.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Great! I have now read all four. June's discussion will be different in that we won't be discussing one particular book. Group members can pick one of the books or all and we'll be discussing the merits of the books we read.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 67 comments Mod
I've read The Night Circus and The at the End of the Lane and enjoyed both. The Art of Fielding has shown up in my recommendations a few times, but I'm turned off by the sports angle; is it worth it? Ready Player One has been on my to-read list, but I have a pretty large stack I'm trying to work through.

message 5: by Sheryl (new)

Don't let the sports angle scare you off on Art of Fielding. It just happens to have baseball players as some of the characters, but it is so much more than that. It's really about the characters themselves, not the sport. It's one of my very favorite books. I loved Ready Player One also (I guess my "very favorite books" list is pretty long....). It was a real page-turner for me.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I agree with Sheryl. The Art of Fielding is more about the characters. I loved Ready Player One. I hear you about the large stack of books!

message 7: by Sheryl (new)

It's June! This weekend I read The Ocean At the End of the Lane. My first Neil Gaiman. I liked it! I'm gathering some people who read Gaiman (and I don't), didn't like it as much. I liked the setting, and the characters. The magic part seemed a little ....made up? By that, I mean I couldn't figure out what the rules were for the magic. Has anyone else read any of these books? What did you think?

message 8: by Jessica (new)

I've read a few Neil Gaiman books, and they are pretty likeable. I know this one wasn't as well received by his fans though. I don't care, I really like it! I have a thing for books with child narrators and magic; not to "spoil" anything but when the protagonist discovers something on the bottom of his foot, well, I found that profoundly creepy.
I started The Art of Fielding, and I do like it so far; another thing I enjoy is character-driven novels. So far it kind of reminds me of the work of David Foster Wallace, whom I love.

message 9: by Sheryl (new)

The Art of Fielding is one of my all-time favorite books. I love that group of characters. I didn't want to ever have them leave me.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I liked the characters in The Art of Fielding. I didn't always like their actions. Since I went to a small liberal arts college I could relate to the smallness of it.

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave (balboafish) | 19 comments I, too, loved The Art of Fielding. Its been awhile since I read it. The author did a great job bringing the characters alive for me.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

In The Art of Fielding, did anyone else notice the importance placed on the growing and shaving of beards, or of cleaning other people's sinks?

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Now that you mention it I can think of two instances of sinks being cleaned and that is two more times than most books I read.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Right. I wonder what the sink thing represents? A desire to insert oneself into another's domestic life? Something is going on with the beards, too; I wonder if it has something to with characters in Moby-Dick, which I shamefully have never read.
I finally finished The Art of Fielding, and I kind of loved it. I feel that Harbach did an excellent job of showing what depression feels like to one suffering from it. The characters' choices drove me mad though; I suppose it's simply art imitating life, and in life people make terrible decisions.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I also have not read Moby Dick. Your guess is as good as mine about the sinks. Maybe the beards represent adult hood or what it means to be a man?
I agree with you about the characters' choices. They drove me mad as well. I'm reading a book in a series right now and one of the characters is doing a nose dive and I want to talk to her and say what are you doing? Stop!