50 Book Pledge discussion

May 2014 - What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JenniferD (last edited May 01, 2014 02:20PM) (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Welcome to May everyone! What are you reading this month? Do you have any books planned, or are you just winging it?

I am doing a bit of both! I have group reads going on for: Fifth Business by Robertson Davies, and Charles Dickens by Claire Tomalin. I have This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett on the go right now, and it's great, but I am setting it aside to get my group reads finished.

But...I generally don't plan my reading - outside of work reading, I very much read based upon my mood. Whenever I have tried to be more structured in plotting out my books...it never works out for me. But that's okay!!

How about you? What's your reading style?

:)

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 17 comments I'm a mood reader too. I'm currently reading The Pale Horseman and The Lobster Kings. If I feel up to it, I might tackle Uncle Tom's Cabin

message 3: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Darcy wrote: "I'm a mood reader too. I'm currently reading The Pale Horseman and The Lobster Kings. If I feel up to it, I might tackle Uncle Tom's Cabin"

i just finished 'the lobster kings' a few days ago, darcy. i liked it and i have been thinking about it a lot - so much so that i think i need to raise the rating i gave it here. :)

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 17 comments I like when books continue to make us think after we've turned the last page. I'm doubly encouraged by you've said.

message 5: by Beverly (last edited May 01, 2014 06:23PM) (new)

Beverly Akerman (beverly_akerman) | 1 comments Currently reading Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. Just finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian--quite good. Made me think I should dig out Everything is Illuminated which had me crying with laughter. But I guess I'm a sucker for mangled English and silly accents (a friend of mine who is fluent in Russian disses the latter book because she says it mangles English in ways true Russian speakers wouldn't...but how many people would notice?).

I would appreciate some suggestions for comic novels...

Other recent purchases: The Virgins; Extremities; The Mill on the Floss. Supposed to be reading The Luminaries and The Interestings for my 2 book clubs. But somehow I doubt I'll get to them.

Extremities
Everything Is Illuminated
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

The Virgins

The Mill on the Floss

The Interestings

message 6: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Darcy wrote: "I like when books continue to make us think after we've turned the last page. I'm doubly encouraged by you've said."

Me too. I hope it goes well for you!

message 7: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Beverly wrote: "Currently reading Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. Just finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian--quite good. Made me think I should dig out Everything is Illuminated..."

i really enjoyed Marina Lewycka's book too, beverly. humour in fiction is a tough one, eh? everyone's tastes are so different and humour often doesn't translate well in print. i was really amused by A Confederacy of Dunces - but it seems to be a divisive novel with readers. a lot of people find some of Christopher Moore's stuff really funny. i have only read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, and it was only okay for me. but i may have had unrealistic expectations since i had heard so many people rave about it before i read it.

message 8: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 6 comments I'm almost finished reading Jeffrey Archer's latest, "Only Time Will Tell" and just started "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry.

message 9: by Sandra (last edited May 04, 2014 05:49AM) (new)

Sandra | 33 comments I just finished All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews last week. This book had such an effect on me, that I seem to be having trouble getting into anything else... I am now reading Natchez Burning by Greg Iles. I have read all of his other books and have great hopes for this one. Everyone should read All My Puny Sorrows, such a great book. The subject matter is difficult, but definitely worth reading.
I must add that I am planning to read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green for the new book club chat hosted by Indigo/Chapters. They are picking one book a month and hosting a twitter chat to discuss the book. This was the first pick, and it seems like a big lot of marketing to me, but I have wanted to read it, so I will give it a try and see what book they pick next.

message 10: by JenniferD (last edited May 04, 2014 10:15AM) (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Sandra wrote: "I just finished All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews last week. This book had such an effect on me, that I seem to be having trouble getting into anything else...."

i can't shut-up about that novel, sandra ('all my puny sorrows' ). man, do i love it. i have already given it as a gift to 3 people. :)

heh - yeah, 'the fault in our stars' pick, i am sure, is to hep boost the film, which is about to be released. or boost book sales based on the film. having said that though, i read it a couple of years ago, ahead of giving it to my 14yo (at the time) niece, and i really loved it. (and i am not, generally, a YA reader at all.) so i hope you will like it. it will be interesting to see how the book club process goes with indigo/chapters.

that iles book has been on my radar for a while - you will have to let us know what you think!

message 11: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) i am reading The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman, and really enjoying it. parts of it are quite funny and i am enjoying the different eras and perspectives of the world of newspaper publishing.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 7 comments I am enjoying Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Did not think that this book would do it for me, but a few readers that I respect said I should give it a try and so far I would agree.

message 13: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) i am reading We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler, and i am enjoying it a lot!

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 33 comments I just finished Natchez Burning by Greg Iles which was long but very good! Right now I am reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

message 15: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) Sandra wrote: "I just finished Natchez Burning by Greg Iles which was long but very good! Right now I am reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green."

is that the first of iles' books you have read, sandra? i have 'natchez burning' on my radar, but have never read him before.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 33 comments No, I have read all of his books. This one is about Penn Cage who appears in another series that he wrote. I wouldn't say you have to read the others to enjoy this one, it works as a stand alone, although I think this is going to be a new trilogy...

message 17: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (booktrovert) yes, i did read that this was a first in a new series...with the recurring penn cage. i did wonder if it would work starting here, with 'natchez burning' but from what i have read it sounded like it would be a good place to start. thanks for your input, sandra!! :)