Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > April book!! How To Be a Woman, by Caitlin Moran (2016)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 326 (326 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Emma (last edited Mar 21, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
Dear OSS,

This month I am choosing a book which I confess I have already read. It is so brilliant though. It deserves to be read more than once.

Maybe you read Caitlin’s article in my Esquire guest edit this month ("12 Things About Being A Woman That Women Won’t Tell You")… Maybe you’ve seen some of the hype about her new book Moranifesto... Either way, she is an English hero of mine who I think you need to know. On a side note, this book also appears to have been translated into lots of languages and should be reasonably easy to get hold of.

You’ve probably guessed it by now, April's book (for a little light relief) is ‘How to Be a Woman.’ I read it on a plane from London to New York and I laughed out loud and cried so much I think the whole of my cabin, airline staff included, thought I was losing my mind. (For speedy readers out there, I am also going to read Moranifesto).

Love,
Emma xx

http://www.esquire.co.uk/culture/advi...

http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Woman-Ca...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017S92JNG...

http://www.caitlinmoran.co.uk

message 2: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments Cool! :)

message 3: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2016 12:49PM) (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Excellent! There are used copies on sale from third party retailers on Amazon for as little at $0.01 (+shipping and tax). My copy came to $4.41, and after I read it, I'll be happy to spend the money I saved "Paying It Forward!"

And after that, I may move onto Moranifesto... But one thing at a time for me right now ;)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I look forward to reading it :))

message 5: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tocco | 50 comments Thank you!! Hope to find them in the library :D I think I'm the only one on Earth who borrows books, actually in 2016 :/ But I have an idiosyncrasy: I love their smell!! Someone else with this weird habit?? :D

Anyway...can't wait to read them! :)

message 6: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 24 comments Just checking - is Moranifesto not available in the US yet? I read How to Be a Woman a couple years ago, but I'd like to read something new for April. It looks like it's only available for preorder on Amazon in the US, but maybe I'm missing something.

I might just reread How to Be a Woman, if I can't get access to Moranifesto.

message 7: by Simran (new)

Simran | 2 comments Clearly very excited about this one - with 11 days till April!

message 8: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Alexandria wrote: "Just checking - is Moranifesto not available in the US yet? I read How to Be a Woman a couple years ago, but I'd like to read something new for April. It looks like it's only available for preorder..."

Ah, it looks like you are correct! It's been released in the UK, not sure if that's the only place so far.

Thanks for the heads up!

message 9: by Tor (new)

Tor Charlesworth | 2 comments Have already read this one, so bonus! Gunna have to check out Moranifesto as well i think!

message 10: by Paige (new)

Paige | 48 comments Can't wait to read them both! :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Like always, can't wait to read this book. :)

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 10 comments I've bee wanting to read this for a while. Thanks.

message 13: by Ardit (new)

Ardit Haliti (ardit_haliti) | 61 comments Emma wrote: "Dear OSS,

This month I am choosing a book which I confess I have already read. It is so brilliant though. It deserves to be read more than once.

Maybe you read Caitlin’s article in my Esquire g..."

Huge thank you, Emma, for taking my suggestion into consideration! Letting us foreigners know about the next book a week or two in advance will help many of us greatly as we will now be able to read the next book in the same time as other readers from Our Shared Shelf. xx

message 14: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments Thank you so much for giving us a heads up! Love you all❤️

message 15: by Helen (last edited Mar 21, 2016 01:30PM) (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 304 comments .....well this is why I'm not surprised that Caitlin Moran and her book got chosen, because as soon as Emma was announced as Ambassador for UN WOMEN I made a bookmark folder(which by the way has growwnnn a lot) and I found this article somewhere in my searches
http://www.damemagazine.com/2014/10/0...

bookdepository link
http://www.bookdepository.com/How-Be-...

message 16: by Romina (new)

Romina Scianatico | 37 comments Emma wrote: "Dear OSS,

This is great!! I'm definitely going to be getting both books!

message 17: by JustGottaRead (new)

JustGottaRead | 8 comments Loved this book! I really enjoy Caitlin's no holds barred yet hilarious writing style. I'll read Moranifesto, instead, for April. Thanks for another brilliant book recommendation!

message 18: by Simon (new)

Simon Kuhn | 223 comments Strange enough, I don't really know anything about this book...
But, like always, I'ma give it a go :) -> probably going to like it!
Not sure if they have it in my local library: hope they have it on apple book store or otherwise I just order it from another county,
I still got some time untill April.

For those who are going to start reading already, have fun!
-Simon <3

message 19: by Rafael (new)

Rafael Caracciolo Duarte | 21 comments Excited to start reading it

message 20: by Giselle (new)

Giselle | 3 comments Yes, I found it in Spanish! so I can read the book.

I can't read the previous books because I have not found any in Spanish pitifully.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Miller (rosethorn7) | 123 comments This sounds like an awesome read! Can't wait to read it!

message 22: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Looking forward to reading this one!! I've read quite a few reviews on Caitlin Moran's books, all of them pretty good. A controversial one, too, so I think we'll have a pretty busy month of April. ^^

message 23: by Nursena (new)

Nursena | 1 comments I have been meaning to read this book for a while now, this will be such a good opportunity for me to read it! Enjoy everyone! I have no doubt that it will be an amazing book.

message 24: by Camilla (new)

Camilla (repressedpauper) | 64 comments Yay! First of all, thank you so much for posting next month's book ahead of time!

I'm excited to read this book. It'll be nice to read something light and funny. I'm still recovering from The Color Purple.

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 15 comments I've been meaning to read this book! I just ordered it and I can't wait to read it! :)

message 26: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments THANK YOU Emma for telling us the title for April ahead of time. So, I still have to finish bell hooks' book, and have to read A LOT of other books, but OSS is always first. So, tomorrow I'll order this book.

Something completely different:
I hope the book we read in May is not from an English-speaking person (native), because we should consider other nationalities and languages as well.

message 27: by Simone (last edited Mar 21, 2016 06:02PM) (new)

Simone | 85 comments I have just ordered this two books from Amazon. Can't wait to read it!

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 11 comments I was at Barnes & Noble when I read this post and bought it in that moment. There were only two left, and I heard they were going to send the other one back, so if anyone lives at The Woodlands, Texas, there is one available at Barnes & Noble, but it's not going to be available for too long.

message 29: by Alma (new)

Alma | 23 comments Great choice!! This book is brilliant and Caitlin Moran is a hilarious writer, I find humour is such an important element in the discussion! I've already read How To Be A Woman but I will join in by reading her latest, I might give the audiobook a go. Oh and her article on Esquire Magazine is really worth a read. Happy reading everyone!

message 30: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 11 comments It's great having this much notice. Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't make much difference to me this time around as I already have the book and read it some time ago. I really enjoyed it and look forward to following the discussions.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen Kolus | 13 comments Thank you! I need the humor even if it's laced with some serious truth!

message 32: by Lily (new)

Lily (inquisitorlily) I've already started it and am enjoying it so far!

message 33: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments I actually have this in my bookshelf already, so great news! Still in line for the Steinem book, which I'm eager to read, and the Purple I think we might have as hardcover via the library.

message 34: by David (new)

David Cromarty | 35 comments I haven't even got hold of the March book yet, but it's good to be able to plan ahead.

Oddly enough I just saw this mentioned elsewhere and thought it might be worth a read.

Crom

message 35: by Luckness Rabbit (new)

Luckness Rabbit | 10 comments Thanks for letting us know which is the next book because we can avoid the problems that some of us had with the previous months books. This books is easier to find I have seen it in many local bookshops in my town so I guess that the Spanish version has no avaliability problems.

Thanks again.

❦ Anna Francesca (annafrancesca3) | 57 comments Ah this is brilliant. Thank you for announcing the book earlier, can't wait to read them both!

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Great selection! I love Caitlin Moran, I've already read this book, but would love to read it again. She's always good for a laugh.
Thanks for announcing the next book early. It's nice to have extra time to order books through interlibrary loan!

message 38: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 1 comments Love love love this book! I've literally just finished reading it before I joined this book club. So I'm going to have to be content with reading moranology and moranifesto instead. Enjoy people

message 39: by Bryony (new)

Bryony Napper | 8 comments brilliant I can't wait to read the book

message 40: by Harper (new)

Harper Perennial (harperperennial) | 1 comments Alexandria wrote: "Just checking - is Moranifesto not available in the US yet? I read How to Be a Woman a couple years ago, but I'd like to read something new for April. It looks like it's only available for preorder..."

Moranifesto will be published in the US in November.

message 41: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments Excellent! I have been curious about this one for some time..
Happy reading everyone!

message 42: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Beskhodarnaya | 1 comments Ok, let's start reading it! The thing that I'm thinking a lot about last time: about being a woman, getting lost sometimes. Hope it will help me! Oh, greetings from Russia to everyone xx

message 43: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments I liked what she had to say about talking, but she lost me at the wanking. I haven't quite decided yet, but I just may sit out the April read.

message 44: by Tommi (new)

Tommi | 1 comments Well I know what I'm buying this week at Barnes & Noble lol

message 45: by Emily (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments Emma wrote: "Dear OSS,

Thanks so much for posting this decision before next month! It keeps me from biting my nails and refreshing my screen endlessly on April 1st because I'm dying to know what we're reading next. Happy reading, everyone!

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Vega (neapoulain) Oh, I've already read it!

Like two months ago. So I don't think I am going to re read it soon! But it's a great book and, although I strongly disagree with half of the things the book says, this book was the one which throw me right into feminisn!

Great choice :)

message 47: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Already ordered it yesterday. There's still one copy available in Salzburg in Motzko, Kiesel stop. I got the other one, so I know, at least yesterday that was the case.

It's nice to have it within this week, not like for March and especially January to wait VERY long.

message 48: by Ariadna C (new)

Ariadna C | 34 comments Great! She has really interesting points. I have already read it (in Spanish, though) but I'm looking forward to participate in the discussions :)

message 49: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Saunders | 6 comments Yay! I already own this one, although have not yet finished it. I'd completely forgotten about it. What an awesome opportunity to actually read it!

message 50: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 50 comments Sabina wrote: "Thank you!! Hope to find them in the library :D I think I'm the only one on Earth who borrows books, actually in 2016 :/ But I have an idiosyncrasy: I love their smell!! Someone else with this weir..."

You're not the only one. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7