The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Cancelled Shows of 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Keidy (last edited May 01, 2014 02:29PM) (new)

Keidy | 525 comments Alright folks. This is it. The moment which some are happy about but most dread. It's May and this when April showers end (theoretically), flowers bloom (also theoretically) and when TV shows that you love or love to hate come up with official news about whether they will grace our presence with another season in the coming year or get CANCELLED

I for one would like to mourn for Almost Human. I've followed the show faithfully with optimistic hopes for another season of watching John Kennex (played by Karl Urban) and android parter Dorian (played by Michael Ealy) in the most fascinating science fiction crime drama I've seen yet. So it makes me so very sad to hear that Fox has cancelled this series that I had no idea was in danger of being cancelled. I'm really hoping that someone will save this worthy series as I really want to learn more about this world and see more interaction between John and Dorian (*cough* Syfy *cough*).

All I can say is that this is the reason I hardly ever watch TV shows anymore until the show is a couple of seasons in or until they finish. Then I'd binge-watch it all through Netflix or if I know I like the show, buy the seasons on DVD.

How about everyone else? What shows are you mourning or happy that got axed this year?

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments Almost Human was the big one for me. I knew it was in severe danger of being cancelled just because it was on Fox, but I'm an optimist and was hoping they'd give it more time. Alas... it was not to be.

I've also grown pretty fond of The Crazy Ones, so I'm hoping the rumors are wrong and it'll be returning.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I also will miss Almost Human - it wasn't the greatest, but it was fun, and Kennex and Dorian had a great bro chemistry.

I'm kind of hoping Believe bites the dust because I'm pretty much hate-watching it at this point. I keep hoping each new episode will be something other than, "Everybody does dumb stuff and they almost get killed/captured but kid saves day with awesome power when she gets all scared and shit." I mean really, how stupid can these people get?

I'm glad that Game of Thrones show is dead...haha!

#sixseasonsandamovie

message 4: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb Those Who Kill on A&E was cancelled. I thought the it had some promise and I was a bit sad to see it leave. But at least they stopped it before I invested a huge amount of my time to it.

message 5: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments So Almost Human was about Detective and his android partner? Sounds like Total Recall 2070.

I had hoped that The After was going to get picked up.
Shows I wish would be canceled:

Helix
The Following
Marvel's Agents of Shield
Supernatural Bloodlines

message 6: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 525 comments Michele wrote: "I'm kind of hoping Believe bites the dust because I'm pretty much hate-watching it at this point. I keep hoping each new episode will be something other than, "Everybody does dumb stuff and they almost get killed/captured but kid saves day with awesome power when she gets all scared and shit." I mean really, how stupid can these people get?"

I'm watching that show too and that really is the formula isn't it? I'm continuing on but their luck really is incredible. I'm hoping for some kind of payoff at the end of the season at the very least. I can understand why they're doing it but at the same time, there has to be a better way you know?

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Alexander wrote: "So Almost Human was about Detective and his android partner? Sounds like Total Recall 2070.

I had hoped that The After was going to get picked up.
Shows I wish would be canceled:
Marvel's Agents of Shield "

Screw that the show has gotten amazing why the hell would you cancel that...or the following for that matter

message 8: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments Shield is just too cheesy for my taste and I'm tired of uber hackers who hack the strongest security in minutes using only a tablet. That and I have a dreadful feeling that Ward will somehow redeem himself and become a good guy again next season.

The following lost me at the start of season two when the villain from season one somehow managed to escape by planting the corpse of his long lost brother. And the good guy went all "semi-official" vigilant

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Well Shield is a comic book show but since at least the Turn Turn Turn episode its been fantastic and the number of easter eggs alone has me squeeing.
But SHIELD We're loving it my brothers and are are texting back and forth while watching it...usually we only do that during football or Game of Thrones

The Season finale of The Following was great.

message 10: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments True, Shield is a comic book series, I just like my spy thrillers to be more gritty like Alias or La Femme Nikita.

I agree that it has gotten a lot better since Turn Turn Turn and I have to say Ward became more interesting when he turned evil even if he was extremely creepy last episode. Lets just see what happens in the last two episodes when Nick Fury returns.

message 11: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I'm waiting to see Community's fate. All I want is one more season and a movie. I'm not ready to say goodbye to these characters yet. If it does come back, I would like Jonathan Banks and John Oliver to return but I don't think that's gonna happen.

#sixseasonsandamovie

message 12: by Keidy (last edited May 02, 2014 12:03AM) (new)

Keidy | 525 comments Apparently there is a petition to try and save Almost Human by having other major networks (most likely Syfy) to pick up the series. I'm not sure if it'll work but I'll do anything to get this series back on the air. I think it was crap of Fox to cut the series. They're just horrible to sci-fi shows.

Article from "The Wrap": Almost Human Fans Rage Cancellation

Petition at Change.org: Save Almost Human!

message 13: by Pat (last edited May 02, 2014 01:06AM) (new)

Pat (patthebadger) | 100 comments Almost Human has just been picked up here in the UK. I can't remember which network has it but they are promoting it fairly heavily. Its the kind of show I might have watched under normal circumstances but I won't bother now its been cancelled.

These days I prefer to wait until a US show gets a couple of seasons under its belt before committing. Its safer that way.

message 14: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments The cancellation of Almost Human really sucks so I hope some other network picks it up.

Agent's of Shield is just starting to get really good. They did a great job tying in the events of the Captain America movie without forcing you to go see it. If you did, it's a big plus, if not it still works really well.

Shows I would like to see cancelled, those that the networks pay a ton of money for and jack up cable prices, NFL, NBA, NHL. Move them all to a premium sports only network.

message 15: by Ty (last edited May 02, 2014 08:06AM) (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments My girlfriend and I have watched Revolution for 2 years now. It's cheesy and dumb a lot of the time, but we've enjoyed it (apparently we were the only ones.) I've read that it's likely to be cancelled.

I've also really enjoyed The Crazy Ones and hear it's probably not coming back as well. I hope they change their minds on that one and bring it back. It's a fun show with a good cast.

I saw the first few Almost Human episodes and enjoyed it enough to DVR it, but haven't found time to get back to it yet. At this point I might not bother.

message 16: by Thane (new)

Thane | 476 comments Ty wrote: "My girlfriend and I have watched Revolution for 2 years now. It's cheesy and dumb a lot of the time, but we've enjoyed it (apparently we were the only ones.) I've read that it's likely to be cancel..."

Totally agree about Revolution. I watch it also. I like that Aaron has basically, without getting into too many spoilerish details, become the world's first wizard. He invented magic! Sortakinda. Or the Force!

message 17: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) | 135 comments Totally agree about Agents of Shield improving. It's gone from the show that I always felt would never live up to its potential to the highlight of my week. Even though they haven't said anything yet, I think it'll get picked up for another season. Probably with a smaller budget though.

Sorry to hear about Almost Human. I had heard such good things that I was going to check that one out once the box set became available at my library.

message 18: by Keidy (last edited May 03, 2014 01:23PM) (new)

Keidy | 525 comments @Nancy: Almost Human is a great series and I would totally recommend it to anyone I know. It's not groundbreaking but there's lots of SciFi fun in it and the chemistry between John and Dorian is stellar. I know I'm gonna be getting the DVD set as soon as it comes out. And unlike some other cancelled series, at least it doesn't leave at a big cliffhanger, although it does leave some things unfinished. I might never get over the fact that it was cancelled. As I said before, I really hope that another network picks it up. I had a blast watching it and I would like to continue to do so.

Agents of Shield is actually one of those series that I wasn't going to pick up until it all came out. I had a feeling that it would start really slow and it does. That's not a problem when you binge-watch a show, watching all the episodes back to back but I would get pretty annoyed if I had to wait week to week to see the plot move on. Hopefully the second season will pick up now that they've laid out their world-building and characters.

message 19: by Rick (last edited May 03, 2014 02:30PM) (new)

Rick | 2793 comments So those of you lamenting cancellation in one breath and then saying you're waiting for the box set or netflix? Guess what... there's a correlation there. Networks DO look at Hulu/DVR behavior and if you don't watch semi-live (i.e. within a week or so of the live air date) you're basically reinforcing the belief that there's not a lot of interest in the show. Want a show to stay on the air? Watch it, even if that means DVRed or on Hulu.

message 20: by Keidy (last edited May 03, 2014 02:42PM) (new)

Keidy | 525 comments @Rick: Oh thank goodness for that. I don't have cable or rarely have time to see shows when they air, so I watch a lot of shows on Hulu. It's nice to know that they count those numbers too. I'll keep that in mind and watch more shows on Hulu from now on if I can't catch them on the tube. ^_^

Though I made an exception for Almost Human. The only show I consistently watched on TV, period. <3

message 21: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2793 comments one down.... :)

Of course, whether a few of us do this or not isn't a big deal but I see this a lot among more tech savvy and geek communities and I think we hurt our shows unwittingly. From the network side they need to value Hulu and DVR as much as live. From ours, we need to realize that we can't really complain about cancellations if we don't show our support in the way that matters, by watching the show.

message 22: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 1 comments AndrewP wrote: "The cancellation of Almost Human really sucks so I hope some other network picks it up.

Agent's of Shield is just starting to get really good. They did a great job tying in the events of the Capta..."

When was the last time someone put a gun to your head to watch something you didn't want to or to sign up for cable?

message 23: by Kdawg91 (new)

Kdawg91 | 377 comments my dad watches The Following and the sheer number of deaths per episode just makes me look at it sideways. I would just throw every cop in the world at that dude and the series would have been two and a half episodes tops.

message 24: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments Agents of SHIELD started with a guaranteed two seasons. Which means they either had a lot of faith in it, or it's important to setting up phase 3. That said, I have really liked it the last few episodes. (view spoiler). I'm also looking forward to the Netflix original series that Marvel is putting out.

I'm going to miss Almost Human, but when it had three episodes then a four month long hiatus, I knew that FOX wanted it gone. J.J. Abrhams produces Almost Human, Believe, Revolution, and Person of Interest. maybe sour grapes over Star Wars having a castle instead of a FOX at the beginning?

message 25: by Will (new)

Will R A moment of silence for Community. I'm an avid sitcom watcher, and I've watched both some great sitcoms and some not-so-great ones, and Community was one of my favourite shows, sitcom or otherwise. The writing was tight, the jokes were amazing - I'm sure I don't need to talk it up to this group, so I'll stop there.

There's hope for Comedy Central or Hulu to pick the show up, as CC is already airing Community in syndication and Hulu had an exclusive streaming deal. (Some thing with NBC?) I'd be happy with even a one-hour special, just to put closure on the whole thing.

message 26: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb Wil wrote: "A moment of silence for Community. I'm an avid sitcom watcher, and I've watched both some great sitcoms and some not-so-great ones, and Community was one of my favourite shows, sitcom or otherwise...."

Weren't they also supposed to make a movie for Community? Please don't tell me they axed that too.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments Just heard Revolution was cancelled. Not too sad as I dumped it about halfway through this season.

message 28: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments Community is a loss. Especially with them all being killed by an asteroid. But now its canon.

message 29: by Jason (new)

Jason Parent | 22 comments I didn't know about Revolution. Admittedly, I still watch, but have lost interest.

Community is a sad loss though. Quirky humor you don't find much elsewhere.

message 30: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2793 comments Community at least had a several year run. Almost Human never was given a chance (poor airing decisions, airing eps out of order). Good to see Agents of Shield renewed. it was slow at first, but in retrospect it was obvious that it was being forced to mesh the Hydra storyline with the release of the Captain America movie release.

message 31: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments RIP #sixseasonsandamovie.

I knew this was a likely outcome but it still stings a lot.

message 32: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Can't say I'm too sad about any of these cancellations. Network TV seems to be a crapshoot anyway, so we can only hope they move to the BBC model of doing 6- or 12-episode seasons with self-contained storylines.

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments Intelligence, The Tomorrow People, and The Neighbors have all been cancelled now.

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments Almost Human got a resounding "meh" reaction out of me. I saw the first episode and started the second, but my watching got interrupted and I never bothered to continue it. It just failed to make any sort of connection. It was hardly original either.

message 35: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2793 comments Kevin, that's one of the problems - too many of us judge too quickly. I don't know that there's a great answer to it - people shouldn't have to watch many episodes of something that they don't like, but judging a series by 1-2 eps is like judging a book by 25-50 pages... but it takes longer. Sadly, I think this hurts series that take some time to develop or ones that don't find their footing right off.

message 36: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2481 comments I wasn't even aware that there was yet another remake of The Tomorrow People. I remember watching the original back in England a long time ago. 70's or 80's I believe.

message 37: by Chad (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments I liked Intelligence.... too bad

I've pretty much given up watching anything on Fox. If it is any good they will purposefully screw it up and then cancel it. It's like a dogma over there.

message 38: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Rick wrote: "Kevin, that's one of the problems - too many of us judge too quickly. I don't know that there's a great answer to it - people shouldn't have to watch many episodes of something that they don't like, but judging a series by 1-2 eps is like judging a book by 25-50 pages..."

Judging a TV show by only two episodes is like judging a movie before seeing the sequel! That is a shockingly rude and inconsiderate thing to do!

Sorry for getting sarcasm all over you, but that's a massive analogy fail. If someone can't entice me with 90 minutes of story, they shouldn't be making a TV show.

Two episodes of a typical TV show is the rough equivalent of watching Rashomon, Toy Story, Once, Zombieland, Army of Darkness, Airplane!, High Noon or Invasion of the Body Snatchers... even Stanley Kubrick, known for his long films, turned in Paths of Glory at 88 minutes.

I refuse to excuse bad storytelling because it's TV. Look at how much stuff shows like Orphan Black, Sherlock or Breaking Bad pack into each episode.

Shows that are too decompressed, like Flash Forward, tend to lose audiences quickly. Lost was the exception to the rule, not the template. You need to go all out the way Gilmore Girls or Chuck did and set the hooks early.

message 39: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2793 comments Excellent job of utterly missing the point, Trike.

Do you judge a movie by the first 10 minutes? Because the first episode or two of a season has roughly the same relationship to the season as the first 10 minutes of a movie has to the rest of the movie.

The problem is that if we always demand to be hooked quickly we're not going to get series that take time to develop a storyline or characters. We'll get the equivalent of a Michael Bay movie. But then, to you perhaps that's good story telling.

You know.... I'm kind of done here. There's a lot of whining in this group lately - what genre authors people don't like, what words people don't like and when I try to say something nuanced like this (that demanding a show hook us right off has consequences for the kind of shows we get), I get crapped.

You all have fun.

message 40: by Ken (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments I don't watch any TV shows. I'm okay with anything getting cancelled, especially if it means less "urban fantasy" and vampire cliches on peoples' minds.

message 41: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Rick wrote: "Excellent job of utterly missing the point, Trike.

Do you judge a movie by the first 10 minutes? Because the first episode or two of a season has roughly the same relationship to the season as the first 10 minutes of a movie has to the rest of the movie."

This is not about "wham bam thank you ma'am", it's about telling a proper story. 44 minutes is plenty of time to introduce characters, their world and a situation. This is not about having a lack of time, but a lack of talent.

Orphan Black introduced more story in the first three episodes than a lot of these cancelled shows did in an entire season. When you have that sort of example to compare it to, it's easy to see why audiences wouldn't have patience for that kind of show.

message 42: by Chad (last edited May 13, 2014 05:07PM) (new)

Chad (doctorwinters) | 180 comments On the gripping hand...Buffy the Vampire Slayer took about a season and a half before it became the best show on TV like ever.... Nowadays it would have been killed off mid first season

Babylon 5's first season was rocky and today we probably wouldn't have gotten the excellent 2nd-5th seasons. And we almost didn't the 4th and 5th even then.

message 43: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Chad wrote: "Babylon 5's first season was rocky and today we probably wouldn't have gotten the excellent 2nd-5th seasons. And we almost didn't the 4th and 5th even then. "

Now I'm with yah on the Babylon 5. I love that show. But calling the first season "rocky" is quite an understatement. LoL. Thank God we got Seasons 2-4 and the t.v. movies too.

message 44: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Rick wrote: "You know.... I'm kind of done here. There's a lot of whining in this group lately - what genre authors people don't like, what words people don't like and when I try to say something nuanced like this (that demanding a show hook us right off has consequences for the kind of shows we get), I get crapped.

You all have fun. "

Rick - I hope you don't leave S&L. I would hazard a guess that the large silent majority of people agree with your opinion on the television seasons needing time to work out what they are going to be. Especially network t.v. Look at ST: TNG. 1st two seasons were horrible and then it got really really good.

As for the "negativity" that some of the S&L threads have, I personally have just gotten to where I ignore those type of "what do you dislike most about...?" threads. I once almost quit this group because I thought that it was being overrun by excessive negativity. But it turns out that if you just don't read those threads they can't bother you overly much. Hope you don't leave the group man.

message 45: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I honestly do tend to judge a show on its first episode. Every writing class I've taken emphasizes needing to hook your audience in the first sentence. That translates to the first scene of a show. If the first scene is uninspiring, I tend to lose interest, not because I have a short attention span (squirrel!), but because the first scene of the first episode is where you should be getting questions that take you through the first episode, if not the first season.

The best recent example I've seen of this is The Blacklist. That had a hook that riveted me to the screen for the first hour of that show. And the question posed by that scene still hasn't been answered even after the first season finale!

I now that some shows burn slower than others, but I need something to hook my interest.

message 46: by Alexander (last edited May 14, 2014 03:22AM) (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments I think a tv show has to hook or at least entice you with the first two episodes in the same way if you don't enjoy the first page of a book you probably aren't going to keep reading.

Sometimes it takes a few episodes before you really get into a show which can be a struggle for some viewers who don't want to waste their free time on something they dislike.

I for one disliked Person of Interest when it started based solely on the first episode. But I went back when season 3 started watched a few episodes in a row and became completely hooked. And after watching the season 3 finale I was left scrambling to internet to check to see that it wasn't also the series finale.

With Marvels Agents of Shield I struggled through the whole first season before giving up on it.

I think part of the reason the people give up early on shows is that because most are episodic rather then serial. You know that each episode is going to be more of the same. If you don't find something that interests you in the early episodes then you probably aren't going to enjoy the rest of them. That and people make up their minds very quickly.

message 47: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Daran wrote: "The best recent example I've seen of this is The Blacklist. That had a hook that riveted me to the screen for the first hour of that show. And the question posed by that scene still hasn't been answered even after the first season finale!"

That's another excellent example. The Blacklist had a brilliant opening scene followed by a terrific first episode. I was likewise hooked by it, just as I was by Orphan Black.

Maybe that's the secret: have "black" in the title.

message 48: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8496 comments Alexander wrote: "I think a tv show has to hook or at least entice you with the first two episodes in the same way if you don't enjoy the first page of a book you probably aren't going to keep reading."

Daran wrote: "I honestly do tend to judge a show on its first episode. Every writing class I've taken emphasizes needing to hook your audience in the first sentence. That translates to the first scene of a show. If the first scene is uninspiring, I tend to lose interest, not because I have a short attention span (squirrel!), but because the first scene of the first episode is where you should be getting questions that take you through the first episode, if not the first season."

Oops, reply fail on my part. I hit "post" instead of "preview."

Anyway... some may notice there's a gap in my reply to Rick above (#42). That's because I took out an example of me judging a movie by its first 10 minutes, specifically Raiders of the Lost Ark. As just as Daran says here, that opening scene sets the tone for the movie and hooks you. If you think back on the opening scene of Raiders, from the fade in until Indy gets in the plane takes less time than most TV shows have before the first commercial break. It's about 12 minutes long and introduces the hero, the villain, their respective worldviews, the world they live in, that Indy is smart while Belloq is cunning and Indy's primary fear.

So I do judge a movie by its first 10 minutes.

A more recent example is Captain America: The Winter Soldier. The opening scene is just two guys jogging at dawn, but it reintroduces us to Steve, introduces Sam, establishes their personalities and sets the tone for the entire movie with action, heart and humor. (As well as some great old school camera tricks.) It's a terrific 5 or 6 minutes, and to Alexander's point, like a good book it hooks you in the equivalent of its first chapter.

message 49: by Ken (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments here here! It's not good if a show or book has a meandering, disorganized start. I don't mean everyone should try to be like Micheal Bay or Dan Brown - absolutely not! But the Raiders example is a good one.

Regarding TNG and B5 - okay, fair. But damned if the second season of B5 or the 3rd of TNG didn't play by these rules - there wouldn't be any further seasons.

message 50: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1140 comments While those shows, B5 and TNG and Buffy, weren't as good in the first season as subsequent ones they still had something that kept the fans coming back.

« previous 1