We Were Liars
This topic is about We Were Liars
2015 Nominations > Finalist: We Were Liars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (dawnoftheread) | 81 comments Mod
Suggested by Danielle

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Jun 19, 2014 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa | 1 comments I was really hoping I would love this title, but I was left feeling disappointed. I think teens will like it and there is a sneaky twist, but I think the book lacks any real depth. A few lightweight, superficial mentions regarding class, race, etc. does not equal substance and in fact was somewhat insulting. On the plus side, it is a fast read and does a good job keeping you interested until the reveal. Though, I found the twist to be annoying, too.

However, I wouldn't mind if it makes it to the final list of nominations because I want to rant about it some more! Although, I might not remember why I am so annoyed come January.

To sum up, rich people problems, wah. I did cry though.

Dawn (dawnoftheread) | 81 comments Mod
My experience was similar to Lisa's. While I enjoyed it, it was no Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.

Melleny | 12 comments Mod
I loved it. I loved the surreal feeling of the whole thing, right from the first page. It swept me up and I wanted to know what happened and why everything was just so darned weird. And then, I loved how it ended. It seemed so perfectly right. The island and wealth and mystery gave me an Agatha Christie vibe, and then the ending felt like "And Then There Were None." I know many people didn't care for the book, but I thought it was exceptionally well crafted.