Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monthly Read > May 2014 - Fool Me Twice by Meredith Duran

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
For the month of May, we will be reading Fool Me Twice by Meredith Duran. As always, this thread my contain spoilers.

By the way, I read this in one sitting the other night. It has a nice Beauty and the Beast element to it. It's a fun read!

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2056 comments Mod
I liked this a lot, especially the way she gets him to do things...
I am a big Duran fan but her last book didn't work for me--so I was glad to read one i liked again

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Can someone please tell me what was the book in the puzzler a few weeks ago where she was in jail and the hero enters with several more men, I think it was a Nicola Cornick? Thanks.

message 4: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2056 comments Mod
April 14 was by Courtney Milan.

message 5: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2056 comments Mod
And Jan 13 was Mr Impossible by Loretta Chase.
They are both great books

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks you both, yes, it was Courtney Milan's Unravelled.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 320 comments Just finished our monthly read, Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2) by Meredith Duran . Will look for others' comments and will post a review shortly.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 981 comments I'm 54 percent in, just past their first game of Chess. I really dislike both Hero and Heroine at this point. She knows he hates her nemesis, so she could explain who she really is and ask the Duke for his help; but noooo, she's verging into TSTL. He knows she saved him from suicide and he needs her; but noooo, he's too proud to admit it. Barf. Hoping this gets better.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 981 comments I finished it, and it did get better. Hero redeemed himself several times. Heroine was hampered by several incorrect assumptions which were based on lies her dearly departed Mother told her.

Mum did her no favors.
Hero is yummy, now that he's no longer depressed.

Worth the time and persistence to read this one.

message 10: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Susan, I actually liked the first half better than the second! Apparently a heroine who drags a household into order is one of my catnip plots. :)

That's not to say I didn't like the resolution, because I did--the plot twists with Bertram and his wife were clever, and way Olivia and Alistair came to appreciate each other's strengths seemed realistically paced. That scene, especially, when he says she's beautiful and describes her appearance in terms of qualities (like her square jaw being determined). Meredith Duran's style is such a pleasure to read.

message 11: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 560 comments Mod
Theresa, I love those plot lines too, with the heroine who whips a house and/or man into shape. While I was thinking she should just tell him just like Susan was, I still was able to enjoy the way she got the household in shape and made him eventually leave his room too.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Romain | 420 comments Oh, sure!--by the time they had played chess and kissed, I thought she could have told him the truth too. I'm glad the blow-up of mistrust didn't last long. Their faith in each other made the characters' bond seem stronger.

message 13: by John (new)

John Hennessy | 63 comments Theresa wrote: "Susan, I actually liked the first half better than the second! Apparently a heroine who drags a household into order is one of my catnip plots. :)

That's not to say I didn't like the resolution, ..."

I'm really glad to hear that you like Meredith Duran's style of writing. She will be on my 'to-buy' list for June.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fool Me Twice (other topics)