In our opinion... discussion

Debates > Punishment for Cyberbullying?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) What do you think?

And... debate!

message 2: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 72 comments Cyberbullying should be treated the same as any other bullying

message 3: by Nate (last edited May 01, 2014 02:30PM) (new)

Nate But they're not the same, really.
With traditional bullying there is usually (almost always) some sort of physical assault whether it be pushing, shoving, taking something from the victim, or in more severe cases actual physical violence, whereas with Cyber bullying essentially, they're just words.
YES I understand they can be quite cruel and can result in many social and self esteem issues for the victims but the fact remains that they also have the opportunity to simply LOG OFF and ignore the harassing post, they can also take means to block them and such, unlike traditional bullying where the victim may not have the opportunities to escape their attackers. At least with cyber bullying you can shut the computer off.
I do realize that a lot of times the victims are subjected to both real life, physical and personal contact with their bully as well as harrassed on line...But what I'm saying is at least for the online part there are means that can be taken.

I think its sad that ppl fall prey to cyber bullies. I wish they understood that they in fact hold the power NOT the bully. You give the bully power when you log on and respond to them.
Just like in rl, lets face it, as kids we all picked on each other, and it was more entertaining if you got a reaction. If you made them cry or they got mad, that was fun. But if they laughed with you or ignored you it wasn't any fun...Shut the bully down by shutting off the computer, or staying off teh site where the bullying is taking place. That's my theory..

As for punishment, I think if it can be proven and the cyber bully (s) can be tracked down (which they can) they should be fined.

However, I don't think they can be held accountable for self inflicted harm. (There was a case about a yr ago- a girl committed suicide, she was being cyber bullied, they tried to hold the bullies accountable for her death.)

I say a sizable fine and banned from the sites where the bullying took place is just.

message 4: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 72 comments I mean just word bullying when some one actually gets hurt its a much bigger deal. But the punishment for saying something in person should be the same as saying something online.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 19 comments I agree with you!

message 6: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) I think something to consider is that in some serious cases of cyberbullying, the effects seep into the person's life outside of the internet. Being cyberbullied in a workplace, for example.
Other things to consider is that cyberbullying is not necessarily just internet based - it can be through text messaging and phone calls as well, and in this case avoiding the bullying is not as simple as just logging off.