Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Linking Books to Marketplaces

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments Hi, I'm trying to get the various marketplace links to work for A Dark and Dismal Flower. The Amazon link works correctly but I can't figure out how to link it correctly to Barnes & Noble, Google Play (not Google ebookstore), Kobo and IBooks. We have the book listed on all those sites but I can't figure out how to edit our Goodreads listing so the links work properly. Help!. Thank you!

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Jennifer,

Those links work by searching the associated bookseller by ISBN (with the exception of Kobo, which I believe searches by title). Consequently, if you aren't using the ISBN associated with that record (9781937804398) with a given bookseller, then the 'get a copy' button won't work. B&N, for example, usually uses proprietary ISBN-like numbers called BNIDs for their ebook formats. You can tell they're from B&N because they start with '294...'. So to ensure the 'get a copy' link works to B&N, we need to create another edition of your book with the 294 number. Then users who click the B&N button from that edition will be directed to B&N's sale page. To complicate matters, Goodreads librarians can't use booksellers other than Amazon to gather information, so you have to provide us with the BNID.

As for other booksellers, I was able to get to the right page on Kobo, although neither Google Play or iBooks worked. Are you certain those sellers have your book up? If so, then I'm not certain what the problem is.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 3 comments Hi Z-squared,

Thanks for the help on B&N. I'll create another edition with the 294 number. Both Google Play and iBooks have links up -- see these links:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/a-dar...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

Is it because the ISBNs aren't listed in the book listing that the links in Goodreads aren't working?

Thanks again fro your time/help!
Jen

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments One thing I can see is that the google link is to the app store. The get-a-copy button searches their BOOKstore. I'll bet it's the same issue with itunes.