After BEA/Bookcon Meet Up! discussion

Meet Up Ideas!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kassidy (last edited May 19, 2014 07:10AM) (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
I'm sure all of us BookTubers and book-lovers will be bumping into each other throughout the time we are in NYC and at BookCon, but I really want to do an official meet up! I think it would be good to do one after BookCon around 4:30 p.m. or 5:00 p.m. because I feel like everyone is going to be so distracted and running around like crazy during the event.

One option is Bryant Park, which is in between W 40th, W 42nd, and 5th Ave. It's close to the Jacob Javtis Center and has lots of space in case a ton of people come! haha

Another option brought up is a book store! Maybe The Strand since it is unique to NYC.

What do you guys think??? Any other ideas or do you know of any other meet ups going on??

Leave ideas here!

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (imadriana) | 3 comments That's a great idea! I think it would be cool if we all went to the big Barnes and Noble at Union Square. It's 4 stories high and is practically booktuber heaven. There's also a cafe on one of the floors where we can sit.

message 3: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
Yeah that sounds good too, especially because of the weather! It could be really hot or rainy.

message 4: by Keri (new)

Keri Payton (keripayton) | 2 comments I'm definitely keen to meet up! I don't know of any otherr booktuber meet ups as of yet, though I know that there was definitely a call for one.

message 5: by cindy ♡ (new)

cindy ♡ This sounds great! i hope i'll be able to go. Booktubers should totally vlog :D

Guilherme Lessa Angelo (omgui) | 1 comments This is going to be so much fun! Meeting at any Bookstore would be perfect! :)

message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 6 comments Union Square is definitely a great option! The Strand is just a couple blocks away in addition to the huge B&N. It's not as close to the Javits Center, but just a short subway ride away.

P.S. If anyone needs NYC advice, feel free to let me know! I live in lower Manhattan.

message 8: by ashley (new)

ashley (saidthestory) | 1 comments I think the Strand is a good idea! BandN are all over America and The Strand is kind of a booklovers dream as well as a New York thing. Plus ALL THE DASH AND LILY FEELS.. I think this is a better booktuber meet up place. Either way, I want a big get together - just throwing in my two cents :)

message 9: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Washburn (sassycassidy5) | 2 comments I've always wanted to go to the Strand!

message 10: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
I'm in for The Strand! Has anyone been before? I'm curious how big/open it is and if there would be enough space for a bunch of people. Also, what time are you all thinking?
I know the exhibit hall for BookCon closes at 3:00 p.m., but there are panels going on until 6:00 p.m. Specifically the TFiOS panel ends at 4:30 and the Dystopian one (including Veronica Roth) ends at 5:15. The Strand closes at 10:30 p.m.
We could also move the meetup to Friday, so there won't be many time restraints. Any suggestions?

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 6 comments Yes, I've been there! The inside is pretty cramped, but all of the clearance racks are outside. Since it's only a few blocks from Union Square, it might be good to meet there first as it's more of an open space and where most people will probably get off the subway.

message 12: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "Yes, I've been there! The inside is pretty cramped, but all of the clearance racks are outside. Since it's only a few blocks from Union Square, it might be good to meet there first as it's more of ..."

That's a good idea! Meet up at Union Square and then go to The Strand. Thanks!

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (imadriana) | 3 comments Great! I think closer to BEA when we have the meet up all settled out we should exchange some type of contact information- phone numbers or something. In case someone gets lost or can't find where the group is waiting in Union Square.

message 14: by Christina (last edited May 19, 2014 08:56AM) (new)

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 6 comments We can definitely pick a landmark in Union Square to meet by, as the park is pretty big and there's always a lot of people. Maybe we can use an app like Voxer for our contact if people don't want to give out their phone numbers?

message 15: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
Yes! Voxer is great :)

message 16: by Dani (new)

Dani (mystorywithbooks) | 2 comments Mod
I don't mind if we make the meet up for Friday but I would probably be available about the same time as the Saturday anyway so what day is better for everyone else? :) I'm definitely up for the Strand! Dash & Lily <3 I think Friday is better for the time but Saturday might be easier because then we can travel together in groups or something similar.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolemoy) | 2 comments Christina wrote: "We can definitely pick a landmark in Union Square to meet by, as the park is pretty big and there's always a lot of people. Maybe we can use an app like Voxer for our contact if people don't want t..."

I <3 Voxer. I use it all the time!

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolemoy) | 2 comments FYI..there is a YA event at the Books of Wonder on Friday.

TERRIFIC TEEN READS
Friday, May 30th, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM

GARTH NIX Abhorsen Series + Trouble Twisters + Spirit Animals
MAGGIE STIEFVATER The Dream Thieves + Spirit Animals
JENNIFER ARMENTROUT Don't Look Back
ALETHEA KONTIS Hero
ALAYA DAWN JOHNSON The Summer Prince

message 19: by Keri (new)

Keri Payton (keripayton) | 2 comments Friday afternoon at Union Square/The Strand sounds like a really good idea. That way people can get to the Books of Wonder event at 6pm, or other evening arrangements.

message 20: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Washburn (sassycassidy5) | 2 comments I'm good for either day. Is that YA event at the Books of Wonder a signing?

message 21: by Dani (new)

Dani (mystorywithbooks) | 2 comments Mod
I probably can only do Friday evening or the Saturday because I land on Friday afternoon :)

message 22: by Christina (new)

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 6 comments Friday evening or Saturday is best for me as well, as I'll probably be working during the day.

message 23: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
Okay, how about Saturday evening at 5:00 p.m.
That way people have a chance to go back to their hotel after BookCon, but leaves enough time to run later in case people end up going to the panels!
Also, I (personally) would prefer Saturday because I want to hear what everyone got at BookCon and fangirl about meeting authors and getting certain books and such :P

message 24: by Christina (new)

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 6 comments haha, that sounds great to me!

message 25: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
So does anyone know of a meet up spot in Union Square??

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 6 comments We could meet on the steps that are directly across from 14th street – facing Whole Foods/Forever 21/DSW. That's the side closest to The Strand, but if we wanted to walk around a bit we could meet on the opposite side facing Barnes & Noble

message 27: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 8 comments Mod
I think we are just going to meet at The Strand and then if it gets too crowded we can go into Union Square or something. It's just am easier meeting place for everyone.

message 28: by Adriana (new)

Adriana (imadriana) | 3 comments So at the 1st floor of The Strand or in front of it?