What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Changeover
This topic is about The Changeover
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Teen Book, read early 90's [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 5 comments I have been searching for this book for years (well over a decade) I found this book in the teenage section of the library when I was 12 or 13, so around 1991/1992.
Despite having borrowed it several times in a short space of time, and would have continued to borrow it until it was ingrained in my memory had the library not rotated their stock; I can remember very little about it, except how much I loved it....so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The story was about a young girls troubled and teen angst riddled life, until she eventually discovered that she was a witch. It wasn't a long book, maybe only 300 pages. The cover was purple/mauve and cream - if I am remembering correctly, there was a purple image of a young girl against a cream background, with a purple border. It strikes me that it was a very short title - maybe only two words, The ???

I hope this vague description resonates with someone, as I would love to find this book again. Many thanks in advance xx

message 2: by Rafi (new)

Rafi Snowden | 101 comments can you remember any names? or specific incidents?

message 3: by Liralen (new)

Liralen | 708 comments Something like Witch Week? Was the setting contemporary, fantasy, historical?

message 4: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 5 comments I'm struggling to remember more than this. I seem to recall her running across meadows, but I think the book was set in relatively modern times. It was definitely fantasy contemporary...but not witch week. I think there was romance too.
The changeover seems reminiscent, but I don't recall there being a brother - will have to read it to be sure.

message 5: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments Valerie, do you remember if the setting was our world or a mythical world?

And, was magic/witches commonplace in this world? Or, was it something that was kept hidden?

Feel free to post any detail you remember, no matter how tiny. It may trigger someone's memory.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4844 comments Some guesses (even if they are not the right book, something in the descrip may jump out at you about your book)
The Juniper Game The Juniper Game by Sherryl Jordan ?

A 14-year-old finds herself psychically linked with a young woman who was burned as a witch in medieval England. Juniper, whose wide interests include reincarnation and time travel, drags feckless Dylan Pidgley into her experiments with telepathy because he is a marvelous artist and can draw the scenes she transmits. (view spoiler)

message 7: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 5 comments Hi Tab, it was set in our world, and I think it was something that was kept hidden...or at least wasn't the norm.

I appreciate any guesses, I regularly trawl book sites hoping to catch a glimpse of the cover! Unfortunately The Juniper Game isn't it

message 8: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 5 comments p.s The Changeover by Margaret Mahey seems familiar, but I don't think its the right book...have ordered a copy to read/check. The covers I've found for this are all wrong, but maybe I'm missing a version. The title rings bells for me, as well as the idea of her having to change into a witch.

Something along the lines of this book...ether that, or it is this book but its been so many years that my memory has forgotten it. I was convinced i'd know the book as soon as I found it

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments The Changeover for the click.

message 10: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie | 5 comments Thanks.

It is the changeover! I've also managed to find the cover I remember (although not quite as I remember) - it was the magnet publication!

Thank you everyone for your help

message 11: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim (tjs_books) | 45 comments Great book!

message 12: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
A popular book here - queried four times.