Flights of Fantasy discussion

Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Dealing with Dragons
Archived Group Reads > May 2014 - YA/MG: Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments As I mentioned in the May reading thread, I started this yesterday - and I haven't gotten all that much further, 'cause I keep falling asleep on the train.

It's cute, but that's kinda all it is so far. Mostly I think the writing is just very meh. "She did this, and she felt that, and she went there, and she learned this... "

There's no real connection.

I'm also sort of bemused that (view spoiler)

That said, I'm less than halfway through, so who knows what'll happen?

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I finished it today. I thought it was cute. Very cute.

I see what you mean, Colleen. (view spoiler)

What I like the most is that she was known for her commonsense.

Celise (celise_) | 18 comments I read the first two in this series when I was eight or ten. I wouldn't call them YA, definitely children's. I really liked them, but it will be interesting to see if an older audience can appreciate them the same way I did twelve years ago.

Mary Catelli | 125 comments I read Talking to Dragons first, because it was the first published, and I still regard it as the best place to start. Chiefly because we get the surprises as Daystar does, and then we get the prequels filling in the backstory.

Partly because I'm reading the opening of Dealing right now and thinking, ah, the classic fairytale-retelling princess.

message 5: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited May 04, 2014 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I finished this the other day, too. I gave it 2.5 - 3 stars. As I said, mostly the writing was too dry, I think. I never really connected with what was going on, and everything seemed a bit too easy. And despite the set-up and her being 'not your typical princess', everything else pretty much was, which made it kind of predictable.

MrsJ, I agree that it was nice to see some (view spoiler).

I also agree that this is definitely a kids book, and not YA - but I pretty much gathered that going in. While I do think a younger reader might enjoy it more, I also think there's better MG books out there. *shrugs*

I did take into consideration, tho, that this is an older book and probably more unique for its time than it would be today.

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I can agree, its more MG than YA but I enjoyed it all the same.

I really liked the idea that it showed that Cimorene wanting more and not being satisfied with just her duties. (view spoiler)

Mary Catelli | 125 comments Fun. Light.

Cimerone's character works much better in Talking as (view spoiler), I think.

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I will probably continue the series.

message 9: by Nan (new) - added it

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments I'm having fun with this book. I like Cimorene's temperament and general humor.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee | 939 comments I actually have this book and had no idea I had it Love when that happens :)

I'll read it after I finish Blood Song and The Martian.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments You know, I think the only real issue I had with this book is that...its awfully superficial.

I mean, there's no real hidden depths - what you see is what you get.

message 12: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Yes.

Sophie (imhrien) | 13 comments I read all the books last year, and the first is the one I remember the least. I really did like the "dryness" of it, mostly because it felt out of place for a book aimed at children. I also enjoyed the whole series because it reminded me a bit of Howl's Moving Castle, in terms of complexity and details.

I liked the second book best of them all. I think Wrede actually wrote the 4th book first, then decided to expand the story.

I agree that the books aren't rich in...feelings, I guess? It's mostly all about the fun story.

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments That kinda annoys me because I wouldn't have read them out of published order.

Now OCD says I should read the other book to put it all right. But I'm telling it to shut up.

message 15: by Mary (last edited May 05, 2014 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Catelli | 125 comments Nicki wrote: "I was surprised to learn that yes, book 4 was actually written first, although apparently it was later substantially rewritten to fit in as the fourth volume. And they were published in different o..."

Trivially rewritten. I've read them both. I noticed one sentence difference. (view spoiler)

Sophie (imhrien) | 13 comments I prefer reading chronologically, most of the time, so the wonky publishing order didn't bother me when I found out. I think it mattered even less because I liked the fourth book the least.

Not sure if its a spoiler or not, but for the second book (view spoiler)

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm skipping the spoilers but it makes my OCD feel better. :)

message 18: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 3 stars

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Sophie - re book 2, (view spoiler)

Sophie (imhrien) | 13 comments Yeah, I can appreciate Cimorene's good qualities, but she's a bit cold for me. It's the rest of the cast that really kept me with it, human and nonhuman. Also the general silliness.

Has anyone read Alex and the Ironic Gentleman? It has a similar kind of tone, a little dry and a little silly and a touch cynical.

message 20: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments I started this one yesterday. So far I'm enjoying it. It is very light and a good pick to follow up the Elantris brick I just finished. Yay!

message 21: by Sinistmer (new) - added it

Sinistmer | 212 comments I have this. I keep meaning to read it. But I have so many other books. I really want to read one of the group reads this month!

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Sinistmer wrote: "I have this. I keep meaning to read it. But I have so many other books. I really want to read one of the group reads this month!"

Join in! It's a pretty quick read. ;)

message 23: by Lee (new)

Lee | 939 comments Sinistmer wrote: "I have this. I keep meaning to read it. But I have so many other books. I really want to read one of the group reads this month!"

Do you have plans to read it? I have a copy, buried under other books, and I'll probably join in sometime before the end of the month. Right now I'm trying to get through all my library books before I have to turn them back in.

Emily (ohmagichour) | 510 comments I just finished this. I actually listened to it on audio, and it was a fun and quick full cast production. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it definitely really enjoyed it. I think Cimorene, Kazul and Morwen were really enjoyable characters. I think this would be a fun one to share with a child, but that it didn't entirely hold up as a read just for adults. It had a nostalgic feel, though.

message 25: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 2023 comments I'm starting this book tonight, and upon reading the title of the very first chapter, have already discovered an issue...

I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce Cimorene"s name!!! .

Help!?!

message 26: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 168 comments I want to say Sim-or-een. But, it's crazy how many times I've read a book and then listened to an audiobook for the sequel and realized how wrong I was about names. LOL.

message 27: by Nyssa (new) - added it

Nyssa | 2023 comments ☆αlly☆ (litєrαry єscαpist) wrote: "I want to say Sim-or-een. But, it's crazy how many times I've read a book and then listened to an audiobook for the sequel and realized how wrong I was about names. LOL."

Seeing as the book was meant for kids, I had my pre-teens (I have a set of 11 year old twins) read the name, and they agree with you. :)

I had no problems with Hermione's name in HP, but this one made me scratch my head. lol

message 28: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 4 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments ☆αlly☆ (litєrαry єscαpist) wrote: "I want to say Sim-or-een. "

^

That's what I think, too. But I haven't listened to the audio.