Flights of Fantasy discussion

Let the Right One In
This topic is about Let the Right One In
Archived Group Reads > May 2014 - Horror: Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Samantha Hi everyone, this is my first read with the FoF group. Has anyone started Let the Right One In Yet? I'm nearly 100 pages in and already loving this book! I love that it reads like a puzzle that you need to piece together.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2989 comments Hi Samantha, I'm not re-reading this one but I'd previously really enjoyed it. It was definitely a different take on vampire fic, which I loved.

Sinistmer | 212 comments I have also read it (but am not re-reading), and I also enjoyed it. I agree--it's very well done. It's properly suspenseful.

Samantha Hi Becky & Sinistmer, glad to hear you both liked the book! I'm moving through it pretty slowly, but I'm really enjoying it. The suspense is slooowly building and I can't wait to see where we'll end up.

Any opinions on the movie? I'm always torn about watching the movie once I've finished the book.

Sinistmer | 212 comments I have not seen it, so I cannot say.

message 6: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2989 comments I've seen the movies both versions, and I think they are both good in their own way, but the book is better, as is usually the case.

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Leeves I'm not doing the group read on this, but read it last month purely by coincidence. I was really excited because I absolutely love the film (the Swedish one, not the American re-make). Unfortunately, the book didn't meet my expectations.

As a story, it's almost faultless. The relationships between the characters were believable and well explored (though I feel a couple of the sub-plots were a little unneeded). My only real issue with it was the prose. I think I just found it a bit clunky in places. It doesn't sound like a huge problem, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of good prose.

In short, not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination, just not one of my favourites.

message 8: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2989 comments Sam, I agree with you there, and I actually commented on that in my review from way back when. LOL It is clunky, and the way that the dialogue is structured makes everyone seem like they are hesitant, or just really slow on the uptake. Plus there's a ton of sentence fragments.

BUT - otherwise, the story is great and engaging and interesting. It set my expectations for Lindqvist's books pretty high, which stunk a little bit because recently I tried to read Handling the Undead, which I didn't like nearly as much. :(

message 9: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Leeves Becky, could not agree more. The standard of actual story is second to none in terms of horror and the relationship between Eli and Oskar is stunning.

I'd love to be able to pass of the prose as a translation issue, but having read so many Henning Mankell (also Swedish) books it's clear that it translates quite well.

Anyway, it really is a good book as long as you can get past the prose. :)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 331 comments This is my 2nd time reading this. It's one of my all-time favorite books! I've been meaning to re-read it, so its the perfect time. The relationship between Eli and Oskar is so sweet and wonderfully written.