Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Martian
This topic is about The Martian
Archived Group Reads > May 2014 - Sci-Fi: The Martian by Andy Weir

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Doh. Didn't realize this was a FoF pick when I read it last month.

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments o_O wrote: "Doh. Didn't realize this was a FoF pick when I read it last month."

Now you can participate!

:-D

Annnnnnd, I've moved up in the library cue. *go me, go me*

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments I'm on my library wish list too. But I'm next. I think. Anyway. I'll read it when I get it.

Laurel *squee*

I didn't think I'd be hooked by this book as quickly as I was, I was sure the technobabble would bore me. BUT, I found it to be tense, funny, heart warming and just the kind of "real-life" space adventure I was hoping for. I am immensely excited about the upcoming discussion!

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments I'm loving this book so far. This is hard SF at its best.

message 6: by DavidO (last edited May 02, 2014 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

DavidO (drgnangl) | 81 comments Nienna wrote: "I'm on my library wish list too. But I'm next. I think. Anyway. I'll read it when I get it."

You're lucky. I've been on the list at my library for 2 months, and I've moved from #95 in the queue, all the way to 50.

Karen | 55 comments I'm 40% in after one day. Kinda hard to resist that opening line ;)
I'm loving it so far

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 168 comments Yay! Looks like everyone is enjoying this one so far! :)

message 9: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments DavidO wrote: "Nienna wrote: "I'm on my library wish list too. But I'm next. I think. Anyway. I'll read it when I get it."

You're lucky. I've been on the list at my library for 2 months, and I've moved from #95 ..."

Maybe there aren't many science fiction readers here?

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Well, all this squeeing! I hope my copy comes soon!

Michelle (novelenthusiast) Paolo wrote: "I'm loving this book so far. This is hard SF at its best."

I Agree 100%. Who knew farming could be this interesting?

message 12: by Nan (new) - added it

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments I'm totally enjoying this book. Just reached (view spoiler)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments I think "I'm pretty much fucked" has joined the greatest opening lines ever.

message 14: by Nan (new) - added it

Nan (felicityk) | 245 comments Finished this last night. What an Excellent book. So absorbing. I lost track of how many times I said "Oh no!!" or "Awesome!!".

message 15: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments Got it yesterday. Started this afternoon. I'm not sure what I'm going to think of this book. I hated Gravity. Fell asleep watching 2001. And I think I'm the only person on the planet who hates Castaway. And I've never seen Apollo 13. If you notice a trend... yeah.

message 16: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments I read about 100 pages yesterday. I have read heavy science fiction before and it doesn't bother me - I tend to treat what I don't understand as "magic" and sort of skim past it. But I can't really do that with this book. Its too technical for me. Too much math -- way too much math -- I hate math! I can see a true science fiction fan (the kind who went or always wanted to go to spacecamp) loving it. But -

I'm dropping out of the read. It just isn't for me.

message 17: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments Okay. So. I felt guilty giving up too easy and I had the library put it on hold and everything. So I read about 50 pages today.

And...

It picked up! I'm about half way thru and (view spoiler) Yay!

message 18: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Yeah, it does bog down with all that math at the start. I don't blame ya for quitting at that point.

Glad you gave it a second shot though. It ended up being one of my favorite reads so far this year.

Laurel Way to hang in there, Nienna!

Karen | 55 comments Glad to hear you went back in Nienna

I just finished and I absolutely loved it!

Jackie (thenightowl) Started this one on audio this morning. I think if I was reading it my eyes would've glazed over with the technobabble. But, I like Mark's realness about the situation. Makes him relatable.

message 22: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments Finished :)
Yeah, the technobabble was a hard hurdle for me. Which is strange because I have read hard science fiction before, and by authors who are so much more smarter than I could ever be, and liked them. But it has been a while, so maybe that made it harder. I will say it does get better. It does.

Despite the technobabble I did like the realness of the story too. I'm not saying it *could* happen this way but it *seems* as though it could.

And --

(view spoiler)

message 23: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm going to start this one tonight.

message 24: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments I liked the structure of the book -

(view spoiler)

Laurel Interesting, Nienna. I've never thought of that as a flaw for first person books. Hmm. I'll be processing that one for a while.

message 26: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments :)

I had a baked potato for dinner tonight - reminded me of this book.

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments So I went to actually start reading this and I think..."I feel like I've seen this movie before."

And it's been bothering me and then I realized what it was: this is like if Mission to Mars was about Don Chedle's experience instead of the other guy!

message 28: by Paolo (last edited May 07, 2014 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments Finished!

Final spoilery thoughts:

(view spoiler)

whew! I think that´s my review right there.

message 29: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments Paolo - I agree with you. On pretty much all counts.

There really should've been some back story. I did like the inclusion of (view spoiler)

message 30: by Ala (last edited May 07, 2014 09:40AM) (new)

Ala | 469 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "So I went to actually start reading this and I think..."I feel like I've seen this movie before."

And it's been bothering me and then I realized what it was: this is like if Mission to Mars was ab..."

Heh, I was thinking the same thing.

Paolo: I agree with ya. But I think that's why I really enjoyed it, because it was just a straightforward fun adventure story. Didn't get bogged down with extraneous emotions or characterization.

Sometimes its just nice to be able to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Michelle (novelenthusiast) Yay! (That was for you Paolo! LOL) Just finished reading. Fantastic book, in my opinion. It felt so real. I laughed out loud so many times reading this. I actually made notes on my ereader, which is a first.

My favorite parts were:
1. Turns out even NASA can't improve on duct tape.
2. (view spoiler)
3. (view spoiler)

Anyone else have favorite parts they'd like to share?

message 32: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments I like #3 too, because (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed the humor. There's not enough fun in contemporary science fiction. And the reader is told that (view spoiler)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments Michelle wrote: "Yay! (That was for you Paolo! LOL) Just finished reading. Fantastic book, in my opinion. It felt so real. I laughed out loud so many times reading this. I actually made notes on my ereader, ..."

LOL!

I was told in another forum that the audiobook narrator said every "yay" with heavy sarcasm... I think this would have worked better for me than the way it came across in the text, which was just inexplicably upbeat.

Jackie (thenightowl) Paolo wrote: "I was told in another forum that the audiobook narrator said every "yay" with heavy sarcasm... I think this would have worked better for me than the way it came across in the text, which was just inexplicably upbeat. "

The narrator is very sarcastic. I can almost hear his eyeballs rolling in the background. LOL.

message 35: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments I read it sarcastically in my head... But I tend towards sarcastic myself... So... Maybe that's why.

Karen | 55 comments Nienna wrote: "I read it sarcastically in my head... But I tend towards sarcastic myself... So... Maybe that's why."

That makes two of us, on both counts. I loved the humor precisely because it was so sarcastic and snarky. That goes not only for Mark but most of the other characters. (view spoiler)

Jackie (thenightowl) Paolo wrote: "Finished!

Final spoilery thoughts:

This book was a lot of fun! Although at the beginning I thought this would be a 5-star read, some problems came up - mainly that the characters are paper thin...."

Finished last night. Paolo, you pretty much took the words out of mouth. I enjoyed it, but had the same issues.

(view spoiler)

Anyway, my issues were small and I ended up enjoying this much more than I thought. In the beginning the science and math portions were a bit rough for me. lol.

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments Glad you agree! Regarding the year, I agree it felt like the near future. I kept assuming it was 2020´s. It was a smart move to not mention it so this book can still be read in years to come and not feel too dated.

message 39: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments Jackie - You know I never thought of that, (view spoiler)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments Ridley Scott to direct the film adaptation, with Matt Damon starring.

http://www.slashfilm.com/martian-ridl...

Jackie (thenightowl) Paolo, that is a good point about it not feeling dated.

Nienna, you know I don't think his stuff would've been damaged only because no one else's was and Watney wouldn't have been carrying it anyway when (view spoiler)

So, that raises the question- what would you bring to Mars?

I think I would bring some favorite books, but also new stuff or books I've been meaing to get too. Definitely my current TBR list and any current shows I'm watching or shows I have an interest in watching. Also, games. They have to be simple or puzzle kind of games, like Candy Crush, because I suck at anything else.

message 42: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments I would bring all the books on my 2014 series to be finished list that I haven't been working on. I would probably want a few of my favorite books but for the most part I would want ones that I want to read but haven't. Same for TV shows. I'm not really a rerun kind of watcher. Music would definitely be favorites though, and I would try to fit in a variety of genres.

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments I also wondered about Mark not having brought anything with him. wtf?

About what I would take, I´m guessing all of us would take our TBR lists in ebooks! I would also take some video games and a couple TV shows. The video games would have to be single-player, though. You can´t play MMOs when you´re light-minutes away from everyone else.

Now I´m thinking being stranded on Mars for a little while wouldn´t be too bad...

message 44: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments You'd have to take some paper books too though. What if your ereader broke down while you were there? Although, I guess if you're on Mars that means you can probably fix it yourself.

message 45: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments ERMAGERD... I loved this book. Seriously loved it. I was afraid to check this thread because I didn't want to read anything that would spoil it.

So much awesome.

DavidO (drgnangl) | 81 comments I love this book, but I think my favorite part is the spoilers/asides he makes for the TV he watches while there. Although I'm surprised he didn't comment on the wedding on the last couple episodes of 3s company.

message 47: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee | 939 comments I will always have love for 3s Company. It was one of the first shows I remember watching. I'm a late 70s baby. I know now that I was way too young for the humor but at the time it went over my head. Now I'm like, what was my mom thinking letting me watch that 'trash'. LOL.

DavidO (drgnangl) | 81 comments I like that one where there's a misunderstanding.

message 49: by Chris , cookie guilt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Almost halfway through this, and I'm pleased that it's living up to all the positive praise.

message 50: by Becky, Modderific (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Hell yeah it is. It rules. :D

« previous 1