Sacramento Public Library discussion

General > What Are You Reading: May 2014

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sacramento Public Library (last edited May 01, 2014 09:37AM) (new)

Sacramento Public Library (saclib) | 370 comments Mod
May Day May Day May Day!
Someone needs a good book to read! Can you help? Share what you're reading in the comments below and lead someone to their next great read.

message 2: by John (new)

John | 105 comments I'm starting two books this week. "Snow Crash," by Neal Stephenson, for our book group, and "Yes it's Hot in Here: adventures in the weird, woolly world of sports mascots," by AJ Mass, just for something fun and entertaining.

message 3: by Brendle (new)

Brendle (akajill) | 235 comments Mod
I just finished True Grit by Charles Portis for our library book group and found it an absolutely marvelous book. I loved the writing, which was elegantly sparse, and the deadpan humor. Best of all, though, was our heroine Mattie Ross. She is a YA heroine for the ages and I loved every minute I spent with her.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (superbrarian) | 22 comments I'm reading the children's book Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin by Shurtliff. It is really good. A convincing imagining of "how it all really went down" from which the folk tale that we have now could have been derived.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I am reading undead with benefits ( 2nd in the series ) and The immortal crown by Richelle mead and this too is the 2nd book in a series.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 5 comments I just picked up Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by him earlier this year and loved it, so I'm excited!

message 7: by ❤Marie (new)

❤Marie Gentilcore (rachelx) | 39 comments Brendle, is the book True Grit the same as the movie that starred John Wayne? I like good YA heroines so that book sounds intriguing.

Angie, I may have to request Rump for me to read to my children at bedtime. I've always liked the Rumplestiltskin character.

As for my May reading... I'm finishing up the "Matched" trilogy by Ally Condie and about half way through the last book "Reached". Next up is "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer - I think I'm one of the very few who have not read this yet. I'm also finally getting to "Dear Mr. Knightley" by Katherine Reay which I won from the Sacramento Public Library monthly reading challenge a few months back. I'm about 100 pages in and it's wonderful. The story is told through letters and the main character is delightful. I also love all the book references in the story, I'm finding more books to add to my rather long "to read" list. If only I could find more time to read.

message 8: by Brendle (new)

@marie Yes it is the book the John Wayne movie is based on. But while much of the dialogue is lifted straight from the book & the plot is mostly the same, they are very different. Mattie is the lead character in the book and the book is the better for it. The entire book group was really surprised and delighted. It's a truly great book.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Angie wrote: "I'm reading the children's book Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin by Shurtliff. It is really good. A convincing imagining of "how it all really went down" from which the folk ..."

Is it similar to Gregory Macguire's take on classic fairy tales??

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Thanks to everyone's comments last month, I have just started Still Alice. Being 47, this is really hitting home!

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (superbrarian) | 22 comments Hi Susan, I'll be completely honest, I haven't read any of Maguire's takes on fairy tales, but if you mean, re-writing the story to get the other perspective, then yes, in that the way Rump's story unfolds could easily be misconstrued when told from the Queen's limited point of view (which is the perspective of the original). It is the original story with more information that gives the reader the opportunity to make a new assessment of Rump's character.

One of the things I couldn't understand of Wicked, etc, is how a character whose behavior is evil in one canon (Baum's, ex. W.W.o.t.West has a cap that allows her to control the winged monkeys which she uses to conquer and rule the land of the West) can be made to be misunderstood in another and does Maguire's version explain that evolution to despotic behavior?

Finally, as Rump is a children's story, the political intrigue is not as vast, (it is present on a personal level instead of a national level), in just enough amounts to answer kids' questions of the illogic of why Rumpelstiltskin would want a first born child, why the merchant would lie about his daughter being able to spin gold, etc. I hope you enjoy it!

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Thank you! I will have to track it down and read it. Yes, Maguire explains why she isn't evil the way the Baum portrays her. In fact, he makes it all sound so logical!

message 13: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie Keenan | 45 comments I actually read the latest "Wonder Woman" graphic novel and enjoyed it! I also just finished the latest J.D. Robb detective novel and the latest Patterson novel "N.Y.P.D. Red." I have several non-fiction books that I want to read now that school is over for the semester. I am looking forward to going backwards and reading earlier Michael Pollan's books before I have to read next semester's new one book--"Bottlemania." But I will also read the lastest thriller from Douglas Preston. "The Kraken Project."

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I am working my way through a couple galley copies right now. Just finished one called "Invisible Ellen" by Shari Shattuck. It is about a very self-conscious woman who through lack of contact with others has pretty much made herself invisible. But things happen and she ends up being forced out of her shell. Very well thought out storyline and engaging characters!

Now I am on "Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng. Only a few pages in, but it is promising. So far it is about a 10 grader who goes missing from a Chinese-American family in a small town.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments I have been reading Take me on by Katie and I have been reading Daughter of Blood by anne bishop

message 16: by Brendle (new)

I just started reading The Woman Who Fell From the Sky by Jennifer Steil. It's the story of her time as a journalist in Yemen and I'm reading it for our Travel literature challenge this month. I'm only a short way in but I can tell I am going to like it for two reasons: First it is about a place I know very little about and am unlikely to visit--Yemen. That is my favorite kind of travel literature. Secondly because the author is a woman the reader gets to see a side of the country that is rarely portrayed in literature or media because of the separation of the sexes.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I thought you were reading Landline??? How can I beg to borrow it if you haven't read it yet?

message 18: by Brendle (new)

Susan wrote: "I thought you were reading Landline??? How can I beg to borrow it if you haven't read it yet?"

Ha!
I have a couple of books that are due back at the library first + I want to read Landline uninterrupted (because I know it will be THAT good) which isn't going to happen this weekend. I'm thinking next for sure!

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments Good idea to return books on time! That might get noticed! Lol! And I agree about the uninterrupted time! I can't wait for things like that because I'd never get anything read!

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 57 comments Just finished A Night to Surrender - 3 stars.

I'm now reading Keeping It Real

message 21: by Francie (new)

Francie (francie62) | 72 comments I just finished No Place to Hide by Glenn Greenwald and am almost finished with The Butterfly Cabinet by Bernie McGill. The latter is a Downton Abbeyesque tale with alternating chapters told to the 1960s niece of the family in the castle by an elderly servant and the 1890s diary entries of the jailed mother who was accused of killing her young daughter. No Place to Hide is a chilling account of Edward Snowden's leaked government documents, biased toward Snowden and the author's point of view but interesting nonetheless.

message 22: by John (new)

John | 105 comments I've finished up "Yes It's Hot in Here: Adventures in the Weird, Woolly World of Sports Mascots." An entertaining (though less weird and woolly than the title claims) look at the folks who don outlandish costumes and put on shows to entertain the fans. Some mascots, like the Philly Phanatic, are more popular than the players on the team.

I've also finished listening to "Hemlock Grove," by Brian McGreevey. A weird book...pretty good, but strange...

So it's back to "Snow Crash," by Neal Stephenson, and I've now started "Cress," by Marissa Meyer, in audio.

message 23: by Brendle (last edited May 29, 2014 10:55AM) (new)

I read two very different books to finish out May:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker which is a little bit of everything in one great story. I'd highly recommend it for just about any reader. It's just so much fun!

Landline by Rainbow Rowell was a delightful read. I am a huge fan of the author and managed to get my hands on an advance reading copy of this book which comes out in July. It doesn't have the power of some of her other books but it made me smile which was exactly what I wanted it to do.

Heading into June I am starting The Secret Rooms: a true story of a haunted castle, a plotting duchess and a family secret by Catherine Bailey. How can anyone resist a fascinating title like that? I know I couldn't.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie | 125 comments Oh Landline sounds good. I have read fangirl and loved that one.

I just finished Forbidden and I loved the world and so different from other YA :)

message 25: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 57 comments I'm now reading Once and Always

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan (yetanothersusan) | 203 comments I have Fangirl on request. I am also looking forward to reading Landline and I might have to check out The Secret Rooms. I love stuff like that!

message 27: by Francie (new)

Francie (francie62) | 72 comments I'm reading A Novel Bookstore and loving it. It's about a Paris bookstore that only sells "good books," which have been anonymously recommended by a secret committee of 8 writers/readers and the co-foundersof the bookstore. Someone has gotten the names of those on the secret committee and several have been threatened and been victims of "accidents."
My niece recommended I read The Other Typist, which I put on hold at the library.

message 28: by John (new)

John | 105 comments Finished "Snow Crash" last night. OK in places, hard to follow in other places. It probably won't make it onto my "You gotta read this!" list.