Read by Theme discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading > May 2014: Dystopian

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Jul 01, 2014 06:52AM) (new)

Jackie | 82 comments Hey all! The poll for May's theme has ended and the winner is Dystopian! Dystopian societies are all the rage these days so they are some popular ones as well as some that are older/more classic and some that we might not even think of!

Here is one list that I found from GoodReads that has some good options:

Dystopia
Popular Dystopian Books

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic in the month's folder (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

And don't forget to vote on the poll for June's theme. The poll for July's theme opened today, so go ahead and check that out, too.

Happy reading!!!

message 2: by Jasmiina (new)

Jasmiina F (slipperbunny) I'm going to read Divergent because I actually was supposed to read it now anyways. I want to read the book before seeing the movie.

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (eden1013) Reading Ruins (Partials Sequence, #3) by Dan Wells to finish off the series.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I have these in my TBR next stack that fit this month's theme:
Alas, Babylon
The After/Life
Fragments
Dark Life
Night of the Purple Moon

and Lord of the Fliesshowed up on a dystopian list of books but I'm not sure if it actually is?

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I am going to be a theme rebel. I overdosed on dystopias some time ago.

message 6: by Amara, Group Creator (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments I'm hoping to get around to these this month:

Resist (Breathe, #2) by Sarah Crossan Viral Nation (Viral Nation, #1) by Shaunta Grimes Under the Empyrean Sky (The Heartland Trilogy, #1) by Chuck Wendig

message 7: by Sparrowlicious (new)

Sparrowlicious | 12 comments I guess I'll trust the goodreads shelves on this one:
Seems like The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood is the only dystopian book I have at home right now so I'll go with that one.

message 8: by Alexiapapa (last edited May 02, 2014 02:54AM) (new)

Alexiapapa | 1 comments Hello to all of you! I'm new to this group :)
Well for this month I'll read Nineteen Eighty-Four.

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 82 comments Melissa wrote: "I have these in my TBR next stack that fit this month's theme:
Alas, Babylon
The After/Life
Fragments
Dark Life
[book:Night of the Purple..."

Lord of the Flies... good one. I think if you consider it a dystopian society-themed book, then it fits! This is in the eye of the beholder (reader) :-)

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 82 comments Alexiapapa wrote: "Hello to all of you! I'm new to this group :)
Well for this month I'll read Nineteen Eighty-Four."

Welcome! So glad that you could be part of the group and 1984 is a great one. Enjoy and keep us posted on what you think of it!

message 11: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla I'm listening to Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Divergent, again. I wonder if my rating will improve now, when I saw the movie

message 12: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla I also have a nice selection waiting to be read, hopefully one or more will make it to currently-reading shelf! Wool (Wool, #1) by Hugh Howey , Outside In (Insiders, #2) by Maria V. Snyder , The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness , The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I spent the afternoon curled up reading Night of the Purple Moon (Toucan, #1) by Scott Cramer which I thought had a great concept but could have used some work really expanding the characters to bring more to the reader.

message 14: by Sparrowlicious (new)

Sparrowlicious | 12 comments I discovered that The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin also seems to count as dystopian and since I'm currently reading it: well, there goes my book for the May theme. :D

message 15: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) I will read The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan by Carrie Ryan. Looks interesting.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Linda C wrote: "I will read The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan by Carrie Ryan. Looks interesting."

I enjoyed this book when I read it.

message 17: by Lamilla (last edited May 18, 2014 04:03AM) (new)

Lamilla Lamilla wrote: "I'm listening to Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Divergent, again. I wonder if my rating will improve now, when I saw the movie"
Finished it last night. I enjoyed the romance more than in the movie, but overall it's awful

message 18: by Kerry (last edited May 08, 2014 07:49AM) (new)

Kerry (euphemy) | 27 comments I am going to read The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells and The Time Machine by H.G. Wells . I have The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3) by Suzanne Collins but I don't want to start another series as I am in the middle of reading Game of Thrones and Harry Potter series.

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 35 comments Finally back to the group. February's give a book a second chance kept me sidelined. I will read Mockingjay this month which has a child protagonist and a single word dystopian title. This can count for the last 3 months.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to read The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass . Kind of excited to finish the series!

message 21: by Janet (last edited May 18, 2014 03:54PM) (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 101 comments Brave New World by Aldous Huxley Starting Brave New World today. I should have read this a long time ago but I never have.

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments His Dark Materials Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife And The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman I'ma bit late getting started but I'm going to read Northern Lights by Philip Pullman, filmed as 'The Golden Compass'

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Just finished Alas, Babylon  by Pat Frank , which was probably a very good book when it was published in 1959 but now is an OK book because it is a bit dated and the style of writing somewhat more stilted than what you read today.

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I also read The After/Life by Vardan Partamyan a very short story.

message 25: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) Linda C wrote: "I will read The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan by Carrie Ryan. Looks interesting."

Finished this. It was pretty good. It had a few things that really didn't gel for me and left quite a few unanswered questions. I looked the second book up on Amazon and it covers Mary's daughter, so not sure if it would go back to any of this. Not really that impressed to read further volumes.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Linda C wrote: "Linda C wrote: "I will read The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan by Carrie Ryan. Looks interesting."

Finished this. It was pretty good. It had a few things that really didn't gel for ..."

I enjoyed the first one much more than the other two when I read this series.

message 27: by Candace (new)

Candace | 59 comments I was going to read Reached for last month's theme (single-word title) but didn't get to until this week. But, it fit this month's theme, so all is well!

message 28: by Kristell (new)

Kristell | 33 comments Just in time, I finished Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2) by Veronica Rossi

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.