Cozy Mysteries discussion

May to July Challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace Davidson | 833 comments Mod
This challenge is going to require a little bit of research for those who are up to it. Your challenge is to choose a cozy author that is a Nationally Best Seller or a New York Times Best Seller.
As always it must be an author you haven't read. Please post your choice and review by July 1st. Challenge starts today and ends July 1st. Any questions feel free to drop me a line. Happy Reading!

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments What websites would you suggest to look at to do the research part of this?

message 3: by Candace (new)

cozy- mystery. com has a list of authors, though you'll have to look on the authors website or maybe goodreads to tell you if their are a nationally best or New York Time best seller.

message 4: by ☺Trish (new)

☺Trish This is a tough one (especially finding an author - a best-selling author - I haven't read yet). Do you know if Louise Penny is a best-seller (I know she's won awards, like the Agatha)? I haven't read any of her books, yet and I have the first Inspector Gamache books on my to-read list (do they count as cozies?).
Thanks for your help!

message 5: by Candace (new)

I am not familiar with those books. Cozies definition:.little violence/ sex/language. If the definition fits then it's a cozy.

message 6: by Hal (new)

Hal | 7 comments I think I would call them cozies. I read a few of them. I found them verbose and boring. I couldn't get into the characters. I recall the murders all happen off screen. There is one episode where someone is pushed down the stairs, but otherwise I don't remember any violence.

message 7: by Candace (new)

@ Trish, here are couple of names to choose from: Maggie Sefton, Connie Archer , Denise Swanson, Heather Webber. Hope this helps! ;)

message 8: by Candace (new)

My choice was A Spoonful of Murder by Connie Archer. I could only read a few chapters. I just couldn't grasp it. It didn't have humor and the writing was just ok.

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments Fundraising the Dead (A Museum Mystery, #1) by Sheila Connolly by Sheila Connolly

4/5 STARS

Nell Pratt, the main character, solicits donations for the Pennsylvania Antiquarian Society in Philadelphia. She finds one of her coworkers on the floor dead in the stacks. Also that an important collection of George Washington letters is lost. Are the letters just lost in the building or has someone stolen them? That is the question! The plot was great and can't wait to read more! I guess I am a sucker for history and that is what kept me interested in the main character. I hate the fact that the guy in this book was such a jerk and thought only of himself. I liked how the "Girls" won in the end! I hope to read more to see if or where the romantic factor leads for the main character and the FBI agent.

message 10: by ☺Trish (last edited Jun 05, 2014 08:25AM) (new)

☺Trish Candace wrote: "@ Trish, here are couple of names to choose from: Maggie Sefton, Connie Archer , Denise Swanson, Heather Webber. Hope this helps! ;)"

Thanks for the clarification on the Lousie Penny books! I do believe that they'd qualify as cozy/detective/murder mysteries in the same vein as Christie's Hercule Poirot stories. Thank you for the author suggestions, Candace! ;)
I am planning to read Truly, Madly by Heather Webber. Sounds very interesting . . .

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy Hall (goodreadscomjudy_hall) | 6 comments I loved Truly, Madly! I thought the second 1 was even better. Enjoy!

message 12: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne Quigley (jeanneq) | 40 comments Hi! I just finished One Bad Apple by Sheila Connolly (yes, I got the idea to read Connolly from Christina. Thank you!).

I enjoyed the book. It has a great setting- an old New England house with an apple orchard-and I like the premise of newcomer Meg Corey renovating the house while solving a murder. The reader gets to meet the characters at the same time Meg does.

There was a good bit of repetition, much of it in the form of Meg's inner thoughts. I'm sure that diminishes as the series progresses as Meg meets people to talk with in her new hometown!

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina | 247 comments Glad I could help! :)