The BURIED Book Club discussion

Richard Kluger
This topic is about Richard Kluger
unBURIED Authors K-P > Richard Kluger

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments Richard Kluger (born 1934) worked as a journalist before becoming an established, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and book publisher, focusing chiefly on society, politics and history.

Kluger has written books of fiction and social history. He is the author of six novels (and two others with his wife, Phyllis). Two of his non-fiction books are National Book Award finalists, Simple Justice and The Paper (a history of the Herald Tribune). Moreover, his historical study of the American cigarette business, Ashes to Ashes: America's Hundred-Year Cigarette War, the Public Health, and the Unabashed Triumph of Philip Morris, won the Pulitzer Prize.

Lengthy bio here: http://www.richardkluger.com/Biograph...

Fiction all BURIED, non-fiction less so.

Novels as follows:

WHEN THE BOUGH BREAKS (1964)
NATIONAL ANTHEM (1969)
MEMBERS OF THE TRIBE (1978)
STAR WITNESS (1979)
UN-AMERICAN ACTIVITIES (1982)
THE SHERIFF OF NOTTINGHAM (1992)

& as CO-AUTHOR WITH PHYLLIS KLUGER (his wife)
GOOD GOODS (1982)
ROYAL POINCIANA (1987)
(under pseudonym Thea Coy Douglass)

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (nathandjoe) | 138 comments One star review of Sheriff of Nottingham says:

Ugh. The story was somewhat interesting but so slow and the author uses a lot of archaic language. I suppose he was trying to create a mood, but it just sent me running for a dictionary every few pages. Also, the lives of medieval people were so pathetic I just couldn't take it anymore. Who really wants to read about the truly dark part of the dark ages? where was the swashbuckling?? It was no fun at all. I read about 75 pages.

Which makes it sound pretty good to me...