Mid-Continent Public Library discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
Book Group Titles and Topics > Book Group Title of the Month: May 2014

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MH (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
http://www.mymcpl.org/books-movies-mu...

Do you use KitKeeper to reserve book kits for your book group to use? Our MCPL book group coordinator recommends 'The Book Thief' as an excellent, discussable title for your next meeting!

Title: The Book Thief (Kit 1)
Author: Markus Zusak
Genre: Fiction
Age Group: Adult

Set during World War II in Germany, Liesel Meminger, a fosters girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can‘t resist-books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement. This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

Chantel (chantelowsley) | 26 comments I'm in three book discussion groups. I'm the liaison to the library for one of them. I put all of the kitkeeper1 titles on a shelf in my Good reads account. Then I sorted the shelf by avg rating on Good reads. I copied and pasted the top 50 titles on that list (all the four stars and above) into Word, deleted those that I had read, and then went down the list attributing months to read/discuss to the books. I tried to put longer books in the winter, beach reads in the summer, love stories for Valentine's, Christmas in December, patriotic in July, and etcetera. I emailed this to the librarian and had our book club selections settled for at least the next two years. So, yes, I use kit keeper.