What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mr. Radagast Makes an Unexpected Journey
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fiction abt a class (middle school?) that get a new odd male teacher. [s]

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments I remember that the story is told from one of the sutdent's perspectives. He ends up following the new teacher and ends up in an alternate world of complete darkness where the ground is soft/rubbery and he has to walk through this darkness until he finally bumps into a building. That's where my memory of the story stops. The book may have even had a sequel.
The teacher was described as a tall, thin man with glasses who wore yellow.
I believe the book cover was yellow as well and the title may have had the teacher's name in it.

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Is it the Wayside School stories by Louis Sachar? These are really absurd yet hilarious stories about kids at Wayside School.

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments No, not a Wayside School story. This book wasn't current. I must have been reading this boook back when I was in Elementary or Middle School - that would be mid-80's.

message 4: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Weirdly enough, this sounds a lot like a recurring dream I had as a child. At the time you read it, was it a new book or an older one? Do you recall if it was specifically aimed at elementary/middle grade readers, or maybe written at a higher level? Do you recall anything about the "feel" of the book -- scary, adventure, mystery, horror? Any memory of why he was following the teacher?

message 5: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Actually, some of the Wayside stories were out when I was in elementary school - early 80's. We had a teacher read them to us in one of my classes.

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments I don't think it was a particularly new book when I was reading it. I may have even gotten it from the school library. Yes, it was geared towards element /middle school readers. It had a mysterious feel, but light mystery (not scary). The student followed the teacher b/c he had suspicions about him - thought he was odd or up to something.

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments bump cuz I have been trying to remember this book for years!

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Tiffany--the usual bump period is 30 days, not 4.

message 9: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Just in case you're remembering it wrong or have combined more than one book, take a look at this (because this was the first thing I thought of when I read your post):

Lizard Music

The book is about a boy whose parents go on an extended trip in the summer. His sister is supposed to be watching him, but she takes off, leaving him alone - truly alone, because his friends are all at camp or other places. He falls asleep in front of the TV one night and wakes up to see a TV show starring lizards playing music. He thinks he imagined it, but it keeps happening.

He spends the majority of the book trying to convince people that he's not nuts, and to try and figure out this mystery. He ends up going into the city (they never say which one, but it's believed to be Chicago) and he ends up at the TV Station which is in a big building. The rest isn't clear in my mind anymore, but if nothing else, maybe it will lead you in the right direction. It was a fun and weird story.

message 10: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Railyn wrote: "Just in case you're remembering it wrong or have combined more than one book, take a look at this (because this was the first thing I thought of when I read your post): Lizard Music
..."

Is there a teacher in this story somewhere?

message 11: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments Not that I recall, but it's been some time. I figured that worst case scenario, it may give you a lead somewhere.

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments Thanks for the suggestion, Railyn. It did trigger something : I think that the main character was the only one who thought. that there was something odd about the teacher.
One more clue!

message 13: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments I thought maybe the same author - he wrote a lot of stuff, but nothing sounded like what you were looking for.

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments Bump. I haven't remembered this title yet and it is haunting me. The subject of the story was definitely this one student following his odd male teacher into a strange world. Was it in a box? And after all his adventures he decides to keep the teacher's secret.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Tiffany, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 16: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4843 comments - Mr. Radagast Makes an Unexpected Journey by Sharon Nastick fits a bit. The cover has some yellow in it.

I skimmed the book on OpenLibrary, and some of the elements you describe line up: Dark/hazy place, bumping into a building, kids keep the journey a secret.

Here is the link on OpenLibrary
https://openlibrary.org/books/OL40951...

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Tiffany still seems to be looking for this.

Tiffany, did you check out Tab's suggestion @16?

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Tiffany posted today:

"I read this paperback book in the 80's. It was a chapter book with random black & white pictures (maybe at the start of new chapters?). The MC had a mysterious male teacher that he eventually followed in some way into another world. This world was at first made of blackness where the MC had to learn how to walk on the nothing that was there. Memory is sketchy, but there was a large brick wall involved, and I think the essence of the story became imagining what you want to see. Maybe a lesson in using your imagination to create things? I believe the book MAY have had the teacher's name in it. I know it's not a lot, but that's as far as my memory will take me!"

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Tiffany posted today:

"I read this paperback book in the 80's. It was a chapter book with random black & white pictures (maybe at the start of new chapters?). The MC had a mysterious male teacher ..."

Thank you for leading me back to this thread. I couldn't find it again. And yes, I believe that Tab has solved my book quest!

Please mark this one as SOLVED!!!

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments Tab wrote: "- Mr. Radagast Makes an Unexpected Journey by Sharon Nastick fits a bit. The cover has some yellow in it.

I skimmed the book on OpenLibrary, and some of the elemen..."

YES! This is it!!!

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Terrific.

message 22: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

And it turns out this had been requested before.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 27 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "And it turns out this had been requested before.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Glad I'm not the only one who was trying to hunt this weird little book down.