Casual Readers discussion

Totally Off Topic > CASUAL CONVERSATION: How is your day going?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 226 comments Mod
I thought it would be nice for our group to have chat thread, so here it is. :)

Anything you'd like to tell the group about what you're up to share away!

Happy May Day! Don't forget to dance around a may pole! ;)

message 2: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Amber (puresurplus) | 830 comments Mod
It's been quiet here lately, huh? I was starting to wonder if I was the only one left! Haha.

message 3: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Well this thread has five views so there are at least three other people here besides us. :)

message 4: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new)

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 178 comments Mod
I have a lot of love for the lurkers.

That being said... I've been super busy lately with Uni, so I've been a bit quiet myself! I've just gotten 4 assignments out of the way though, so I'm having a pretty good day. Free comics, Game of Thrones, and listening to the rain outside while I'm in bed. So my day is pretty good. :)

Also, May the 4th be with you!

message 5: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Not to mention Star Wars Day. May the fourth be with you!

message 6: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

It is 90 degrees here today. I HATE hot weather!

message 7: by Amber, The Founder (last edited Jun 17, 2014 07:10PM) (new)

It was at least 100 here today, but I love it! I spent all day yesterday in the pool.

We drop the nugget off at camp on this weekend. Then, the hubster & I will be spending a couple of days at the beach ALONE. We are way overdue for a romantic getaway!

Are any of you guys going on holiday this summer?

message 8: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

I know it's weird, but I would take 0 over 100 anytime. :D

message 9: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

I won Abroad: A Novel from firstreads and it came in the mail today! Also it's raining which I love!

message 10: by Amber, The Founder (new)

amber wrote: "I won Abroad: A Novel from firstreads and it came in the mail today! Also it's raining which I love!"

Congratulations! I love spending a rainy day reading.

P.S. A new giveaway is going live at midnight on the Casual Readers blog!

message 11: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Thank you Amber!

message 12: by Amber, The Founder (new)

I hope there is a surprise in my mailbox today. It was a rough weekend + Monday!

message 13: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

I hope the rest of your week goes better then your weekend.

message 14: by Jez (new)

Jez Layman (typesetjez) | 47 comments I believe in karmic equilibrium, which means that all the bad things get balanced out by good. So maybe something good is coming your way, Amber!

I'd like to think the same for me. We got hit by some nasty storms in Chicago last night, the worst of it hitting my neighborhood (we got clocked at 105 mph winds!). We lost 1.5 of our trees, but they all managed to fall without hitting the house, so we're already pretty lucky.

message 15: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Glad you're okay Jez!

message 16: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Jez wrote: "I believe in karmic equilibrium, which means that all the bad things get balanced out by good. So maybe something good is coming your way, Amber!

I'd like to think the same for me. We got hit by s..."

Wow, stay safe! I watched the craziness in your neck of woods on the news.

message 17: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Happy 4th of July!

message 18: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Happy Fall!

Anyone reading anything for Banned Books Week?

message 19: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

I went to see a production of All My Sons on Sunday. So far that is my favorite Miller play.

message 20: by Lila, The Cat Lady (new)

Lila Lockhart (lilalockhart) | 178 comments Mod
I haven't for banned books week. But I plan to look and see if my library is running anything for it. :)

message 21: by Talitha (new)

Talitha  (victorian_soul) | 19 comments I have some banned books I want to read, but my schedule is a bit packed for this last week of September. I was looking up all of the banned books and it's kind of silly how random they are- it seems like whatever was popular during a particular year was a book worthy of banning.

message 22: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Hi Amber, I started reading The Chocolate War. I just read an article last week saying that it was a banned book and then I saw that it was available at the library on ebook. I thought if it was a banned book that the library wouldn't have it...? I'm half way finished it and I'm enjoying it, I'm happy I was able to get it. :-)

message 23: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Hi Wendy! I've had The Chocolate War on my TBR since hearing Richard Peck give a lecture where he called it the book that started the trend of telling kids adults didn't know anything. Banned books lists usually cover both books that have been banned and books that have been challenged. All being challenged means is someone said the book should be removed from the library, it doesn't mean it actually happened. Plus school libraries are counted for the list as well, so books on the list might have been removed from a grade school library, but that wouldn't affect the public library. It also covers the whole country with one list, so things that would probably not be challenged in liberal parts of the country, but have been challenged in more conservative places are on the list as well.

message 24: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Talitha- Yeah the more popular a book is the better the chances someone will complain about it.

message 25: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Lila- I hope your library has something fun for the week!

message 26: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Thanks Amber, I try to read all the banned books that I can. I had a list from three years ago and I was trying to get a copy of all of them, I thought they quit printing them after they were banned. So obviously since I was able to get a copy of The Chocolate War from the public library it is not a real banned book. It was probably just challenged as you said.

message 27: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

It might also have been pulled from a school library somewhere at some time, and then been returned to the shelves after a count case. That's something that happens that I left off before. Then there are also books that get kept behind the desk at the library, so you can check them out, but you have to go through the librarian, you can't just go and take the book off the shelf and read it in the library.

message 28: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Thanks for the info Amber, that's good to know that the librarian may have a banned book behind her desk. I think the very best books to read are the controversial ones. :)

message 29: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

You're welcome! :)

message 30: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Fouts (lindsay_fouts) | 83 comments I must have celebrated a week early, read Animal Farm and Vonnegut last week

message 31: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Happy Halloween! We're having scary weather for the holiday.

message 32: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Merry Christmas Eve Everyone!

message 33: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Happy Holidays :)

message 34: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (fuzzarilly) | 36 comments Merry Christmas everyone! Thank you for letting me into this wonderful group this year. Once I was admitted to this great group I started spending more time on Goodreads and I learned so much more about this application. It's been a better year because of everyone in this group. Thank you so much. Love to you all!

message 35: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Fouts (lindsay_fouts) | 83 comments Merry Christmas!

message 36: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Wendy wrote: "Merry Christmas everyone! Thank you for letting me into this wonderful group this year. Once I was admitted to this great group I started spending more time on Goodreads and I learned so much more ..."

Thank you for the lovely complements about the group Wendy! You've been a wonderful addition to Casual Readers, & I'm very happy to hear we've had a positive affect on your Goodreads experience. :)

message 37: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Happy New Year Casual Readers!

message 38: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Fouts (lindsay_fouts) | 83 comments Happy New Year!

message 39: by Amber, The Founder (new)

Today is my big 4-0 birthday! I'm officially OVER THE HILL.

message 40: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Happy Birthday Amber!

message 41: by Talitha (new)

Talitha  (victorian_soul) | 19 comments Happy birthday Amber! My mom's birthday is tomorrow- she decided to roll back down the hill by texting and being online more than I am... ;)
Hope you have/had an excellent day!

message 42: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Fouts (lindsay_fouts) | 83 comments Hope you had a great birthday, Amber!

message 43: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Happy Valentine's Day!!

message 44: by amber, The Other Amber (new)

Happy National Pig Day!

Yes that is a real thing. Who knew? :)