Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > July 2014 Nominations Old School Classic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cindy (last edited May 02, 2014 07:37AM) (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Time for our July nominations.
One nomination per member, please! And also, if you don't have a book you'd like to nominate, but do like someone else's nomination, please second it! It will give a good indication, pre-poll, of favorite books :).
Here is a link to our previous group reads. https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 2: by Rachel (last edited May 01, 2014 07:11AM) (new)

Rachel I will nominate The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.

message 3: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I will nominate Emma by Jane Austen

message 4: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I'm still thinking about what I might nominate :).

In the meantime, here is a link to last month's Old School Classic nominating thread - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) MK wrote: "I'm still thinking about what I might nominate :).

In the meantime, here is a link to last month's Old School Classic nominating thread - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Is it OK to nominate the same thing?
Not that I think it will win now, but I don't know what else to nominate...

Talking about The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman

message 6: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Kim wrote: "Is it OK to nominate the same thing?
Not that I think it will win now, but I don't know what else to nominate....."

Yes! Actually, that's happened lots of times on past polls, and many times those books DO win, subsequently. Nominate it for as many times as you like, if it should fail to win this time :).

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) MK wrote: "Kim wrote: "Is it OK to nominate the same thing?

Yes! Actually, that's happened lots of times on past polls, and many..."

Ok, thanks! :)
Then I'll officially renominate The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne.

message 8: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments :). Best wishes for success! :D

message 9: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments MK wrote: "Kim wrote: "Is it OK to nominate the same thing?

Yes! Actually, that's happened lots of times on past polls, and many..."

I hope it's okay to nominate the same thing each month, if it doesn't win, because I've been doing this with a couple of books!

I'll have a think about this one.

message 10: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Pink wrote: "I hope it's okay to nominate the same thing each month, if it doesn't win, because I've been doing this with a couple of books!

I'll have a think about this one. "

Of course!! :)

message 11: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Pink wrote: "MK wrote: "Kim wrote: "Is it OK to nominate the same thing?

Yes! Actually, that's happened lots of times on past poll..."

Yes please do! Because then the book you want gets more exposure, and more people on here many be like "Hmmm, what's that book?"

Take me for instance.. I just added The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman to my TBR list!! =)

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (whatkimreads) Alissa wrote: "Pink wrote: "MK wrote: "Kim wrote: "Is it OK to nominate the same thing?

Yes! Actually, that's happened lots of times..."

Yaaaaaaaaaaay! :D

message 15: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Alissa wrote: "Take me for instance.. I just added The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman to my TBR list!! =) ..."

I think I've been nominating One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest in the 'revisit nominations' for about the past 6 months! It was so close in the last poll that I'm determined now to make it win!

Still considering which book to nominate for 'old school'

By the way, do nominations need to be seconded to progress to the poll, or does everything go through still?

message 16: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments I'm sorry, but please enlighten me on the definition of "old school" in this group.

message 17: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 03:33PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Pink wrote: "By the way, do nominations need to be seconded to progress to the poll, or does everything go through still? ..."

Everything goes through still :). Someone suggested that people may 'second' nominations if they can't think of another they'd prefer to nominate, allowing/inviting more member participation :D.

The only change (so far) is the limit of 1 nomination per member, we got swamped last time ;-)

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Old school = before 1900, hope that helps :)

message 20: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 03:33PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Aidan wrote: "I'm sorry, but please enlighten me on the definition of "old school" in this group."

Pink wrote: "Old school = before 1900, hope that helps :)"

yes! Thankyou :)

message 21: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments Thanks. So... Call of the Wild would be invalid? (It was published 1900-1910)

message 22: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Aidan wrote: "Thanks. So... Call of the Wild would be invalid? (It was published 1900-1910)"

For books post-1900, you can nominate them in the Contemporary Classics section:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 23: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments Thank you.

message 24: by AC (new)

message 25: by Renato (last edited May 04, 2014 03:08PM) (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) I second Emma. :)

message 26: by Caity (new)

Caity (caityf) What's the difference between this and the long read? I mean I understand that the long read is quarterly but otherwise, I'm unclear as to why there are 3 group reads...? I haven't been a member long so I don't know how many people participate in all the reads. Thanks...

message 27: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 05:43PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Caity wrote: "What's the difference between this and the long read? I mean I understand that the long read is quarterly but otherwise, I'm unclear as to why there are 3 group reads...? I haven't been a member lo..."

Oh, sure, let me try and sum it up.

There are two 'original' monthly group reads - one for Old School, and one for Contemporary, Classics. Only books that haven't been group reads are eligible in these two sections.

The third group read is for "Revisiting the Bookshelf", which is another chance to have a group read for a book that has already been a group read. Only books that have previously been group reads are eligible in this section.

And the fourth group read is something new for us. We are trying an extended reading period for longer books, since long books haven't gotten alot of participation in the monthly group read threads in the past (too much, in too short a period of time). So the Long Reads section can either be a new read for the group, or a re-read for the group, but it must be long enough to justify an extended reading and discussion period.

Hopefully that helps clear up the different sections some :)

message 28: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments Caity wrote: "What's the difference between this and the long read? I mean I understand that the long read is quarterly but otherwise, I'm unclear as to why there are 3 group reads...? I haven't been a member lo..."

Trust me, when I joined the group (which was only a week and a half ago) I bothered MK sooooo much, it was ridiculous. Also, the different groups give me an loophole to nominate all my favorites. :)

message 29: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Davis | 4 comments I nominate Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. :)

message 30: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Aidan wrote: "Trust me, when I joined the group (which was only a week and a half ago) I bothered MK sooooo much, it was ridiculous. Also, the different groups give me an loophole to nominate all my favorites. :) ..."

Definitely didn't bother, Aidan! :)

Ask away!

message 31: by Richard (new)

Richard I nominate Heidi by Johanna Spyri.
Heidi
Tristram Shandy is very good, I would agree with that one but I've already read it.

message 32: by Jane (new)

Jane De vries | 8 comments Did i say there a lot of choice but The Picture of Dorian Gray has to top the list.

message 33: by Sheetal (new)

Sheetal Dash (SheetalDash) | 3 comments I nominate Little Women (Little Women, #1) by Louisa May Alcott by Louisa May alcott and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens by charles dickens.

message 34: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

message 36: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) | 8 comments I'm going to be cheeky and daring and nominate my favourite novel of all time...Ulysses.

message 37: by Ivona (new)

Ivona Ivanova (ambientsoul) | 3 comments I nominate Dead souls by Gogol

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veronica19) | 4 comments I nominate Dead Souls by Gogol too!

message 39: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments Kelly wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka.

Good grief--I just realized this was written after 1900. Sorry! I'll delete it and think of something else to nominate:-).

message 40: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments Instead of nominating another one, I'd like to second Villette by Charlotte Bronte.

message 41: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) "Pink wrote: "By the way, do nominations need to be seconded to progress to the poll, or does everything go through still? ..."

Second, third, fourth nominations are welcomed as well.

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) Sheetal wrote: "I nominateLittle Women (Little Women, #1) by Louisa May Alcott by Louisa May alcott and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens by charles dickens."

Due to the amount of nominations we are limiting people to one nomination section per month. Which book would you like to nominate this month. Feel free to nominate the other one next month. Thanks

message 43: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9112 comments Mod
Adriano wrote: "I'm going to be cheeky and daring and nominate my favourite novel of all time...Ulysses."

1st published in 1920 -- Nominate it in the Contemporary Classics

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Heidi--

message 45: by Kalyn (new)

Kalyn | 11 comments I nominate: A Separate Peace by John Knowles

message 46: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 375 comments Kalyn wrote: "I nominate: A Separate Peace by John Knowles"

Wow. There's a novel I remember.

message 47: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9112 comments Mod
Kalyn wrote: "I nominate: A Separate Peace by John Knowles"

Published in 1959. Use this link for Contemporary Nominations

message 49: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Legger | 1 comments I nominate 1984 by George Orwell

message 50: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nathan wrote: "I nominate 1984 by George Orwell"

Hi Nathan! Welcome to the group :)

This section, Old School Classics, is for novels published before 1900, so that wouldn't qualify. Normally, I'd re-direct you to the newer books category, Contemporary Classics.

HOWEVER, that book was read by our group already, so it would be the Revisit the Shelf category. But, also, happily, it was just chosen as a group read in the Revisit the Shelf category, so we will be reading it in June. I hope you'll join us for the read, and the discussion!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.