Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Crime and Punishment
This topic is about Crime and Punishment
Fyodor Dostoyevsky Collection > Crime and Punishment discussion - No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cindy (last edited May 05, 2014 07:44AM) (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) No spoilers allowed. Enjoy Thank You Lisa for being our discussion leader for this book.

message 2: by MK (last edited Jun 02, 2014 12:23PM) (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Crime and Punishment was chosen from monthly nominations as our June 2014 Old School Classic Group Read. I hope you will join the conversation! Please take care to limit SPOILERS to appropriate threads, so so as to not to give away any plot points prematurely! :)

-------

Nav links -
(view spoiler)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2014 02:09PM) (new)

Just a reminder that there are No Spoilers allowed in this thread. Any general thoughts about the story, characters, etc are more than welcome and encouraged.

Historical Context: http://www.college.columbia.edu/core/...

What are your initial thoughts about Raskolnikov? Saint, sinner, crazy, normal, strange, depressed........

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (dward526) Ah yes, time for a reread of one of my all time favourite classics

message 5: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Daniel wrote: "Ah yes, time for a reread of one of my all time favourite classics"

Hi Daniel, welcome to the group! :)
This will be our group read in the Old School Classics section in June. Lisa L. has volunteered to be our discussion leader, but has requested we not 'open' the Crime and Punishment threads to general discussion until Sunday. She needs a little bit of time to organize her thoughts and questions, to make sure she's all set. As we'd like to allow her the spaces near the top of the thread to get organized, we've asked that members not post in the Crime and Punishment threads until Lisa says she's ready, and the threads go 'live'.

Should be open to general disussion by the end of this weekend, tho :)

message 6: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lisa is all set and ready to go! Any 'early readers', dive right in, the water's fine.

This is scheduled to be a June read, but threads are all set and ready to go.

Thankyou again SO much, Lisa L! Happy reading and most of all, HAVE FUN! :D

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I plan on reading this, but won't be starting it until early-mid June.

I'm hoping the copy my library has isn't an abridged version. It's only got 495 pages, but no author introduction, no endnotes, nothing but the actual story.

message 8: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments Kelly wrote: "It's only got 495 pages, but no author introduction, no endnotes, nothing but the actual story."

It's probably the full version. My copy has "only" 637 pages, so it sounds about right.

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments Good:-). I hope so!

message 10: by MK (last edited Jun 02, 2014 07:33AM) (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Just wanted to stop in to say thankyou again, Lisa! I won't be able to fit in Crime & Punishment myself this month, but I will eventually, so in advance - I appreciate all your hard work that I will enjoy when I do read it! :D

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, thanks MK. There are a lot of really good books going this month, so I am glad I read Crime and Punishment in May!!

The discussion threads will be here after June, so even if readers cannot begin this week, please join in at any point-- :-)

message 12: by Bonita (new)

Bonita My daughter read this last year for English. I have read Tolstoy and a biography on Peter the Great but have been intimidated by Crime and Punishment. Looking forward to it.

message 13: by Tytti (last edited Jun 02, 2014 07:45AM) (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments Lisa wrote: "Historical Context: http://www.college.columbia.edu/core/..."

A statue of Aleksander II who is mentioned in the text. https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8236/84... (Also known as "the Good Tsar" though I believe the Poles don't agree with that.) The year on the statue is 1863, the year he called the Estates to re-convene at the Diet of Finland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexande...

Lisa wrote: "What are your initial thoughts about Raskolnikov? Saint, sinner, crazy, normal, strange, depressed........"

I have seen the play years ago (more than I care to count) with our school. Unfortunately I just remember one thing about it but it might be a spoiler...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Tytti-

Feel free to post your recollections at the 'Book as a Whole' spoilers discussion area.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 15: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments I don't want to read that because I might get spoiled then. :-) Besides, I just remember that one thing, not what it was about.

Caity (caityf) This is my first time participating in a group read! I'm excited and just started it tonight. Is there a place where we can just post sentences that we like? A thread where we can quote the book but it's not really intended to be a discussion...? My favorite part of reading a classic is admiring the writing and words. Just a suggestion/question. Thanks and I hope I can keep up with the discussions on time because it seems some of you are already finished and I don't want to get left out of my first group read. :)

Caity (caityf) One more thing - I'm sorry if this is really dumb - but I don't want to open the spoiler sections early. How do I know what sections are what? Are there a certain number of pages? It's probably a silly question but like I said I am worried about spotting a spoiler because I was trying to figure that out. Thanks!

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2014 10:32PM) (new)

Caity wrote: "One more thing - I'm sorry if this is really dumb - but I don't want to open the spoiler sections early. How do I know what sections are what? Are there a certain number of pages? It's probably a s..."

Caity,

I am not certain which translation or edition you are reading. The Monas translation and several others I was able to look at are divided up into 6 sections/units, each containing between 5 to 8 chapters. If can view the table of contents within your copy of Crime and Punishment, it should have each section listed with the corresponding chapters. We did not use pages because different publishers or editions, including ebooks, may have varying amounts of pages within a section or chapter.

Based on the Monas translation:

Section 1: Chapters 1-7
Section 2: Chapters 8-14
Section 3: Chapters 15-20
Section 4: Chapters 21-26
Section 5: Chapters 27-31
Section 6: Chapters 32-39 & Epilogue

Regarding posting individual quotations, we do not have a seperate dedicated thread just for quotes. You could post them under the appropriate spoiler discussion thread based on the section/chapter they appear in. If you would like to post a substantial amount of quotes perhaps we could add a "general favorite quotes" thread for C and P.

Thanks for the questions and your enthusiasm!!

Caity (caityf) Thank you for explaining that to me! I really appreciate you taking the time and I will check out my version. I will probably just the quotes under the sections. Thanks again. I'm starting ch. 4 so hopefully I can join part 1 soon.

message 20: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments Lisa wrote: "We did not use pages because different publishers or editions, including ebooks, may have varying amounts of pages within a section or chapter."

Not to mention different languages...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, different languages too Tytti :-)

Did not even mention Audible or CD versions, as those present more challenges (as I recently discovered while listening to another novel)! Chapters designations often do not match those in the written form(s) of a book unfortunately--

Happy reading or listening everyone!!

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I just picked this up at the library today. I'll be starting it as soon as I finish my current read:-).

Lesley | 46 comments Starting this tonight.

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I just started it this afternoon. I'm only a few pages in, but I like it so far.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Matt wrote: "So far, it doesn't hold it place ten years later. I'm not sure if I can put my finger on it just yet; it's still good, but I have problems with it that I didn't have years ago."

It is interesting how life experience and may I add, age (gasp!), changes a person's perception of a story. There are books I enjoyed in high school and college that I likely would have a different reaction to now. Maybe you will be able to discern which elements are bothering you as read more chapters??

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9164 comments Mod
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky is our 2019 2nd Quarter Long Read for the group. The group previously read the book in 2014.

This is the No Spoiler Thread
The Spoiler Thread will open April 1st

This early posting of the No Spoiler thread is to discuss any non-plot issues pertaining to the book.

Appropriate Posts can contain:
1. Information about the author.
2. Compare editions/translations.
3. Any historical or background information
4. Are you familiar with this author’s work? Do you have any expectations going into the book?
5. What made you decide to read this book?
6. Any fan fiction that you have read or would like to read? Just link the books.
7. If you loved the book and want others to share in that experience, use this thread to motivate others, again save plot specifics for the Spoiler thread
8. If you hated the book, it would be best to keep that for the spoiler page

The most important thing to remember is no plot discussion. Any post that contains plot information or spoilers will be deleted.

message 27: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 15, 2019 08:42AM) (new) - added it

We have closed the previous thread on translations and will continue that discussion in this thread.

There is also a thread on film versions of the book.

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 15, 2019 08:56AM) (new) - added it

We will use the original discussion threads for the book, which breaks down into two parts per month for a quarterly read.

Here is the reading schedule I plan to use for this discussion:

April 1 - 15: Part One

April 16 - 30: Part Two

May 1 - 15: Part Three

May 16- 31: Part Four

June 1 - 15: Part Five

June 16 - 30: Part Six & Epilogue

Book as a Whole

message 29: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 15, 2019 09:15AM) (new) - added it

I plan to read this edition of the book:
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky translated by Oliver Ready.

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 15, 2019 09:38AM) (new) - added it

English Version Translations:

Frederick Whishaw (1885)
Constance Garnett (1914)
David Magarshack (1951)
Princess Alexandra Kropotkin (1953)
Jessie Coulson (1953)
Michael Scammell (1963)
Sidney Monas (1968)
Julius Katzer (1985)
David McDuff (1991)
Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (1992)
Oliver Ready (2014)
Nicolas Pasternak Slater (2017)
Michael R. Katz (2017)

The Garnett translation was the dominant translation for more than 80 years after its publication in 1914. Since the 1990s, McDuff and Pevear/Volokhonsky have become its major competitors.

Resource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_a...

message 31: by Samanta (new) - added it

Samanta   (almacubana) | 198 comments I will be reading the book in Croatian, which belongs to the same group of languages, but I also have a beautiful 1950 edition by Black's Readers Service using the Garnett translation.

The edition in Croatian:
Zločin i kazna by Fyodor Dostoyevsky , translated from Russian by a known Croatian translator and publisher Zlatko Crnkovic

The edition in English:

This is the only image I could find, but my edition is golden. The publisher is Black's Readers Service and there is an introduction by Ernest J. Simmons.

Cynda | 2468 comments You are indeed forunate Samantha :-)

I will join in when I can during the three month read. This is re-read for me. I did a first read a couple of years ago. I am ready to study and understand better this time.

message 33: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Sounds really like a great find Samanta.

message 34: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Mar 17, 2019 05:54PM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2719 comments Mod
Russian Authors by The Rutledge Press This is my book. I bought it at the College Bookstore years ago when I was a student. It has some short stories by Chekhov and Tolstoy as well as Fathers and Sons by Turgenev. Although it does not list the translators, thanks to Amazon I was able to find text to compare. Mine is the Constance Garnett (1914) version which they say was very popular in the Twentieth Century.

message 35: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Lynn wrote: "Russian Authors by The Rutledge Press This is my book. I bought it at the College Bookstore years ago when I was a student. It has some short stories by Chekhov and Tolstoy as well as Fathers and So..."

I love some of my old college texts. This one looks like it is a keeper.

Terry | 1318 comments Looking forward to this one!

message 37: by Pamela (last edited Mar 18, 2019 01:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pamela (bibliohound) | 253 comments I'm looking forward to this, my first read with this group (alongside Dracula)! I'm glad there's a reading schedule.

I'll be reading the Wordsworth Classics edition (translated by Constance Garnett), it's been on my shelf for a few years now.

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4766 comments Mod
I have put this book off for years. I plan to use the reading schedule listed in message #28. Maybe breaking it down over the next three months will make the difference and I’ll finally put this on the read shelf. I don’t have a copy and which translation to get has always confused me, so, the first one I can lay my hands on will be it, I hope I get lucky.

ShazM | 16 comments I'm going to listen to this instead of reading it as I think I have a better chance of actually finishing it that way!

message 40: by Cynda (last edited Mar 30, 2019 12:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynda | 2468 comments Shaz I will be reading listening. Or just listening and coloring.

This will be my second time reading this book, so I hope to get something past a first basic understanding read. A GR friend suggested listening in order to get a feel for the threatrics, like listening to a play when you are not able to watch one. (That does not happen so much anymore, and that is good.)

Terris | 2311 comments Katy wrote: "We will use the original discussion threads for the book, which breaks down into two parts per month for a quarterly read.

Here is the reading schedule I plan to use for this discussion:

April 1 ..."

Thanks! This looks like a great schedule. I am looking forward to this with all of you. I might never do it alone! ;)

Laurie | 1566 comments I am looking forward to knocking this one off my tbr. I tried to read it several years ago and didn't get very far. I am much more successful at completing certain books when I read with the group.

message 43: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Laurie wrote: "I am looking forward to knocking this one off my tbr. I tried to read it several years ago and didn't get very far. I am much more successful at completing certain books when I read with the group."

I agree, hope you have a successful read with us this time around.

message 44: by Cynda (last edited Apr 09, 2019 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynda | 2468 comments I have read C&P once before. That was a first read, and I clearly did not understand as I rated the novel low and provided a rather flippant review. This weekend I will listen to the audiobook and read the graphic novel. I hope to come to a new and better understanding of the novel.

message 45: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Cynda wrote: "I have read C&P once before. That was a first read, and I clearly did not understand as I rated the novel low and provided a rather flippant review. This weekend I will listen to the audiobook and read the graphic novel. I hope to come to a new and better understanding of the novel."

I'd be interested to hear what you think after the graphic novel and audiobook. I do that with books sometimes, too. :)

Cynda | 2468 comments Hi MK,
The art of the graphic novel is errie and conveys much of the plot. Here is a slightly fuller review: my review.

I thought I would go with an audiobook. But all the narrators I tried sounded significantly older than a university student. So I have decided to read. Seems to be a good decision.

Thanks for asking. Enjoy your read!

message 47: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt (mmullerm) | 713 comments I’ve found C&P to be much more readable than any of Dostoevsky’s other stuff. I’m re-reading my copy of the B&N classics version translated by Constance Garnett.

message 48: by MK (last edited Apr 16, 2019 11:49PM) (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Cynda wrote: "Hi MK,
The art of the graphic novel is errie and conveys much of the plot. Here is a slightly fuller review: my review.

I thought I would go with an audiobook. But all the narrators I tried sound..."

Thx, Cynda! :)

Could you link the review again, the link didn't goes to a funny 'broken link' page. First time was Harry Potter quote, second time was Christopher Moore quote.

Points to GR for creative broken link page! :D

message 49: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited May 23, 2019 08:11AM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2719 comments Mod
I am currently using the old college method of reading. On a three month assignment with beautiful reading schedules worked out - wait until the last week and cram!! I started Crime and Punishment last night. Currently I'm just blown away by the introduction that had a small biography of Dostoevsky's life. Wow he really struggled. The story about almost being killed by a firing squad was unbelievable.

The book itself is hmmm...we'll see. I'm still in Chapter 2.

message 50: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt (mmullerm) | 713 comments I’m also taking my time with C&P as it’s a re-read for me. I’m generally following Katy’s suggested reading schedule.

Yes Dostoevsky’s life was pretty tough. He apparently was epileptic plus the deal with his death sentence being communicated at the very minute is extremely nerve wracking (to say the least) - (read House of the Dead where he basically relays that experience).

I love this novel and how Dostoevsky moves between Raskolnikov’s conscious and subconscious, is very well done imo. I won’t say anything more to avoid spoilers on this thread.

« previous 1