Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
Dark Tower > The Gunslinger-Planning to Read? First Impressions?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
Welcome to the first installation of the dark tower read!
I have been excited to read this, and have purposely not tried to look up anything about it...

We start out here with out Gunslinger trying to track down the Man in Black...

Who is planning to join in? What do you think so far?

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 801 comments Mod
I read this series several years ago and will be following along with the discussion. However, I'm not doing a reread at this time. You know--too many books, too little time!

Helen I've started it. I've been off work this week with tonsilitis but haven't been able to summon up any interest in reading, not like me. Think I'm about 20%.

Bill I started reading the series last year but decided to wait once I saw this group would be reading it. I plan to jump back into reading it at book 3.

message 5: by Femmy (new) - added it

Femmy | 32 comments I actually just finished reading this a couple of months ago and am in book 2. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 6: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow | 33 comments I'll definitely join in, after I finish a few smaller books that are in my queue. Been looking forward to this one for ages.

message 7: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I have the first three or four audiobooks ready to listen to, but I can't squeeze it in this month. I will join in the discussion probably next month and catch up.

message 8: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Seems to be a lot of background and flashbacks here in this installment. But it's well done, a lot of worldbuilding during this 'chase'.

Angelof I read this before and by the time I finished, I didn't really get what the heck went on. Right now I'm discouraged from continuing. It doesn't seem to be the kind of fantasy I like reading.

Helen Angelof, exactly how I feel.

DavidO (drgnangl) | 50 comments Book one of this series is completely different from books 3-7. Book 2 is a bit of a bridge from one to the other.

Helen Good to know David.

message 13: by Femmy (new) - added it

Femmy | 32 comments Yes. I don't really like book 1, but I absolutely love book 2. I don't know about the rest, though. We'll have to see.

Robert Jenks (rcwjenks) | 1 comments I'm about an hour into the audiobook and so far I'm not hooked. I'm going to stick with it. They're short, so it's not too much of a commitment.

Supriya (supriyah) | 6 comments I will be joining in after I finish my current book. Have been looking forward to this one for a while.

message 16: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

there is a lot of set-up here Robert....I am chalking it up to first bokk syndrome..lol

Daniela Sylmae (daniela_sylmae) Just started it now that my exams are over. A lot of comments have made me nervous about reading this book, but I'm sticking to it. Just started it a few days ago so not that far in, but from what I've read, I find the Gunslinger to be a very interesting character; he's very enigmatic and at times contradicting and I think that's what I like about him so far.

David Sven (gorro) | 123 comments I only really appreciated this book on the reread after completing the series. I like the vibe of this book - Spaghetti Western meets Arthurian legend.

message 19: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

David Sven wrote: "I only really appreciated this book on the reread after completing the series. I like the vibe of this book - Spaghetti Western meets Arthurian legend."

I love this comparison!

Emily (emlfem) My aunt has almost all of King's books and I was going to get to the Dark Tower eventually so why not now?
I've read the first part and its much different from my usually fantasy reads (I'm in the middle of Malazan series right now) what with not having a completely different world. I guess the change is refreshing. Looking forward to the rest!

Deano | 10 comments I listened to this awhile back
I'd say its a great cure for insomnia, the man who narrates it just sends me to sleep.
I've never been fussed about picking up the next.

message 22: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Wilson I'm finding it confusingly written.
Not at all what I expected,I hope it gets easier to read. :(

message 23: by Femmy (new) - added it

Femmy | 32 comments Mike, I think the second book is definitely easier to read. I'm actually translating the series into Indonesian, and I'm having a much easier time translating the second one.

message 24: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Many people claim the 2nd in te series is one of the best...

message 25: by Josh (last edited Jun 27, 2014 06:17AM) (new) - added it

Josh | 8 comments Wow. Wooah. What?! This is my first ever Stephen King book. I can't say that I ever planned to read his stuff b/c of his rep as a horror writer (and of course the childhood horror movie IT). But my first steps into the desert with the gunslinger were mesmerizing. What a character and a bang up way to introduce him and his World in the first few chapters. I'm holding my breath in anticipation every stop he makes. I have the revised edition and plan to discuss on my weekly book podcast.

message 26: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 3 stars

Josh wrote: "Wow. Wooah. What?! This is my first ever Stephen King book. I can't say that I ever planned to read his stuff b/c of his rep as a horror writer (and of course the childhood horror movie IT). But my..."

yay1 glad you're joining in!

message 27: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh | 8 comments I did a corny book trailer for the Gunslinger. No spoilers, just some fun teasers to what readers can look forward to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILOsl...

Daniel (dward526) Not a huge king fan, but I will give this one a go. A lot of people refer to it, so I might as well check it out.

My King experiences range form good (the shining) to bad(IT, I hated that book, just could not get into it) to blasé (The Body and most others I have read of him). I will see how this goes.

message 29: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh | 8 comments Daniel wrote: "Not a huge king fan, but I will give this one a go. A lot of people refer to it, so I might as well check it out.

My King experiences range form good (the shining) to bad(IT, I hated that book, j..."

A King connoisseur! good to know not all King books are created equal. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this