What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mr. Hazelnut
This topic is about Mr. Hazelnut
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. A children's book about a magical dress [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine | 2 comments Hi!

I was born in 1985 and one of my favorite books was about a young girl who becomes friends with a forest squirrel, who brings her to a tailor who lives in the woods? and this man sews her a dress that grows with her as she ages. She eventually wears that same dress on her wedding day. I think it's about 20-30 pages long and it wasn't one of the Golden Books.

Has ANYONE read this? I'm just looking for a title so I can dig up a copy for my kids.

Thanks!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4839 comments This was a picture book, correct?

If so, were the illustrations bright, muted, realistic, cartoony, etc?

Do you remember the cover?

message 3: by Christine (new)

Christine | 2 comments I think it had a little girl on a forest path with a little red squirrel at her feet and an old man (a tailor?) in a cottage house at the end of the path.
The illustrations are like the ones in Enid Blyton books/ Norman Rockwell

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Christine, are you still looking for this?

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 2 comments The book described on this page matches your description, is this it?

http://theartofchildrenspicturebooks....

Mr. Hazelnut

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Good find, Kelsey. Moving to Solved.

"The subject of the story is a young girl named Alice. She is the quintessential Swedish girl with her blond hair, blue checkered dress and fisherman sandals. Alice starts receiving mail from Mr. Hazelnut, a tailor, who notices that she is growing out of her clothes and wants to make her some new ones. He makes her a new dress, coat and pajamas. He does not want any payment for the clothes, but asks Alice to take care of her clothes and to be kind to her brother Henry. Mr. Hazelnut then disappears, before Alice and her parents can thank him. Alice's clothes grow with her as she grows up and she wears the pink ruffled dress at her wedding."