Time Travel discussion

Official Monthly Group Giveaways > Winner Declared May "Time Split" By Patricia Smith

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (last edited May 02, 2014 06:40AM) (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod

By Patricia Smith Patricia Smith

A scientist's ‘harmless’ tinkering, just before World War II, causes a catastrophic change of events which lead to nuclear war in the present.

40 minutes into the war most of North America, Asia and Europe were destroyed. A cycle of annihilation, which once started became impossible to stop.

The launch of missiles, detected by satellites, set the wheels in motion for the retaliatory strikes to begin.

No nation escaped the cascade that followed; even those neutral in the war.

Detonation was the only warning for most that things had escalated beyond reason as the use of thermo-weapons had never been discussed. A huge electromagnetic pulse, which fried all electrical equipment inside the strike zone, shut down power grids and plunged the region into darkness. A microsecond later there followed a flash of intense white light, which filled the sky, as a small sun erupted within the city.

As the glare burned the corneas from their eyes, it simultaneously cauterised their optic nerves, but the blindness and pain only distressed for a nanosecond. Superheated air, expanding at a rate of 400 metres per second, dwarfed all previous torment. Skin was seared and lungs disintegrated as a last agonised breath choked in the furnace.

On the fringes of the inferno, fires erupted in every direction whilst in the centre, where temperatures reached millions of degrees centigrade, everything was vaporised in a millisecond. The scorching, dust-filled air tore upward in a fiery plume, looking, to all at a distance safe enough to witness the madness, as though hell had broken loose. Seconds later it hit the stratosphere where, cooling, it began to fan outwards, forming the terrifying calling card of man’s most destructive weapon.

There was no hope on January 28th. The mercy for most was death came swiftly.

On a worldwide scale, billions died immediately following the initial strikes, and in the weeks after, millions more from radiation and starvation.

None of this had to happen; none of this should have happened; and it wouldn’t have happened had it not been for the good intentions of one man.

Anyone interested in having a chance of winning a free copy simply say so below. No discussion question required this time. There will be 3 winners of the paperback.

message 2: by Yuiko (new)

Yuiko Wow sounds awesome i would like to enter please!!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (paulstevens) | 0 comments Oooo...sounds great. Yes please! *Me puts hand up.*

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee Sounds intriguing. Please put my name in the hat.

message 5: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte (brigdandrea) | 12 comments I would love to have my name in the hat as well

message 6: by Art (new)

Art (artfink02) | 96 comments Please add my name in the hat as well.

message 7: by Cian (new)

Cian Goggin I am definitely interested in reading this book!!

message 8: by Max (new)

Max Safdiah | 3 comments Please count me in

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Glasser | 208 comments Count me in please!

message 10: by J. Dallas (new)

J. Dallas | 3 comments I would like a chance to get a copy. It sounds very exciting.

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 8 comments Count me in please.

message 12: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 32 comments I'd love to enter!

message 13: by Chantel (new)

Chantel (chantylove) I'd like to enter!

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam Honeycutt (sdh60406L) | 8 comments Please consider me.

message 15: by Brie (new)

Brie (briester510) | 6 comments I WOULD LOVE TO PUT MY HAT IN THE RING FOR A COPY.

message 16: by Brie (new)

Brie (briester510) | 6 comments Sorry, didn't mean to shout

message 17: by Tatyana (new)

Tatyana (tanyuk) I'd like to enter please

message 18: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte (brigdandrea) | 12 comments I'd like to enter, too!

message 19: by Bob (new)

Bob (armycop) | 5 comments Sign me up, please!

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (swingcorey) | 52 comments "A scientist's ‘harmless’ tinkering, just before World War II, causes a catastrophic change of events which lead to nuclear war in the present..."

I'm curious about the "harmless" tinkering, and how it is corrected.
Enter me, please.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim Lion (jimlion) | 29 comments Here's me throwing my name it the hat.

message 22: by Art (new)

Art (artfink02) | 96 comments Sounds great, please put my name in the hat as well.

message 23: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Two entries does not increase your chances Art but I like your enthusiasm.

message 24: by Art (new)

Art (artfink02) | 96 comments In Canada, across "the longest undefended border in the world" (so leaders from both sides trumpet), they only have one day to celebrate veterans, living & deceased. It occurs on the same day as the American Veterans Day, November 11. At 11:00, on the 11th day, of the 11th month, they, and the rest of the British Commonwealth, come together to celebrate the lives of all veterans.

message 25: by Art (new)

Art (artfink02) | 96 comments So, that's what others do, instead of Memorial Day

message 26: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie add me please

message 27: by Andrés (new)

Andrés Ignacio Torres (andresitorresm) | 1 comments I'd like to get a copy of it, thanks!

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments I would like a chance to win a copy

message 29: by Rotuma (new)

Rotuma | 2 comments Please enter me, in the competition ... Good luck everybody.

message 30: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (imtkldpnk) | 1 comments Please enter me. Thank you!

message 31: by Patricia (last edited Jun 01, 2014 09:52AM) (new)

Patricia Smith (fortheloveofsf) | 4 comments I would like to thank all of you who entered the book giveaway for May and for taking an interest in my novel, Time Split.

The winners are:

Jamie
Jennette
J. Dallas

Very best wishes.

Patricia.

message 32: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (swingcorey) | 52 comments Thank you for the book - I received it about 4 days ago and finished it 2 days ago.

I will be posting my review shortly.

Thank you again for the opportunity to read something new (especially about time travel!).

message 33: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Smith (fortheloveofsf) | 4 comments Jamie wrote: "Thank you for the book - I received it about 4 days ago and finished it 2 days ago.

Thank you again for the opportunity to read something new (especially abou..."

Jamie wrote: "Thank you for the book - I received it about 4 days ago and finished it 2 days ago.

Thank you again for the opportunity to read something new (especially abou..."

Thank you very much Jamie.