Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > May 2014 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Happy May Day! Share your May book finds here.

message 5: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments Thom wrote: "Watchers of the Night (The Watchers, #1) by Matthew KeithHearts in Motion (Rescued Hearts, #1) by Edie RamerSex, Marry, Kill by Todd TravisGame Misconduct (The Dartmouth Cobras, #1) by Bianca SommerlandNashville Heat (Nashville Nights, #1) by Bethany Michaels[bookcover..."

I have a really hard tome making out titles and authors from postage size covers but as best as I can tell you read a wide variety of books.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments Thom wrote: "Shameless (Nashville Nights, #1) by Cheryl DouglasThe Circle of Sorcerers A Mages of Bloodmyr Novel Book #1 by Brian KittrellTears Of A Hustler by Silk WhiteIllumine (Illumine, #1) by Alivia Anders[bookcover:The Color..."

Awesome selections!

message 7: by Joseph (new)

I started the month off with a whopper from a variety of places.
At a local school booksale I got: Treasury of Egyptian Mythology Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Monsters & Mortals by Donna Jo Napoli
At a library booksale I picked up: Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead The Bitten (Vampire Huntress Legend, #4) by L.A. Banks Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke Real Vampires Live Large (Glory St. Clair, #2) by Gerry Bartlett Demon's Delight (Tale of the Demon World, #4) by MaryJanice Davidson Beyond the Dark (Includes Tale of the Demon World, #5; Breeds, #13) by Angela Knight The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1) by Kirsten Miller Breath of Magic (Lennox Family Magic, #1) by Teresa Medeiros The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk Charles Kuralt's American Moments by Charles Kuralt My War by Andy Rooney Cows on Parade in Chicago by Mary Ellen Sullivan
An order arrived: The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4) by Heather Blake

message 8: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments I have a surprising short list of books to buy this month.
04-29. How to Seduce a Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks
05-06. Giving In by Maya Banks
05-13. Reluctant Consort by Lora Leigh
05-20. Sixth Grave On The Edge by Drynda Jones
05-27. Air Bound by Christine Feehan
(one I missed from March)
Reaper's Vow by Sarah McCarty ( e book)

message 9: by Marianthi (new)

Marianthi I was challenged by a friend to not spend a penny on any books for one month. So I am going to try. You all know the struggle, but I just want to do it so I can shut her mouth. Of course next month I am going to go ape-shit to make up for this month.

message 10: by Zouagie (new)

Zouagie | 41 comments Thom wrote: "Watchers of the Night (The Watchers, #1) by Matthew KeithHearts in Motion (Rescued Hearts, #1) by Edie RamerSex, Marry, Kill by Todd TravisGame Misconduct (The Dartmouth Cobras, #1) by Bianca SommerlandNashville Heat (Nashville Nights, #1) by Bethany Michaels[bookcover..."

Thats.......alot of books. I'm so jealous.

message 11: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 108 comments This morning I bought Season of Wonder (The Remnants #1) by Lisa Tawn Bergren Bridge to Haven by Francine Rivers and A Broken Kind of Beautiful by Katie Ganshert

message 12: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Just back from a book fair that I spent $37.50. Most I've spent at one. For my husband I got coming Fury bybruce Catton hb, Mathew Brady's Illustrated History of The Civil War hb, Carl Sandberg-Abraham Lincoln The Prarie Years and the War Years Illustrated Edition hb. For myself Wedding Planners of Butternut Creek by Jane Meyers Perrine hb, Mark Twain Himself in words and pictures produced by Milton Meltzer hb, the Favored Child by Philippa Gregory hb, Virgins Lover by Philippa Gregory tp, Widacre by Philippa Gregory tp, The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory hb, ( to replace paperback, Queens Fool by Philippa Gregory tp, World Without End by Ken Follett PB, Sycamore Row by John Grisham hb, Rivers End by Nora Roberts hb, Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts tp, Heart of the Matter by Emily Griffin hb.

message 13: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments And The Lemon Orchard by Luanne Rice hb

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Just three so far this month

Valley of the Templars by Paul Christopher Cross and Burn (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #8) by Val McDermid The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti

Total books for May: 3
Total spent : £2.99

message 16: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 108 comments Just bought Spring Fever by Mary Kay Andrews Up From the Grave (Night Huntress #7) by Jeaniene Frost and How to Love by Katie Cotugno

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Shauna wrote: "Gun Games A Decker/Lazarus Novel (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, #20) by Faye KellermanCaught by Harlan CobenPeach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7) by Joanne Fluke[bookcover:Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee|780..."

Wow, that's a lot of books for $2. What a great deal :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Went to a car boot sale this morning and got all these for £2.50!

The Summer Wedding by Fiona Walker The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan #3) by Val McDermid Room by Emma Donoghue Down the Darkest Road by Tami Hoag The Christmas Train by David Baldacci The Color Purple by Alice Walker Starter for Ten by David Nicholls The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien

Total books for May: 12
Total spent : £5.49

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) Hit up the used book store yesterday and found some good deals in the clearance, yay me!

Clearance (all $1.00)
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
Demolition Angel - Robert Crais
The Left Hand of God - Paul Hoffman

Then found some other paperbacks that I couldn't pass up:
Small Gods and Hogfather - Terry Pratchett
The Two Minute Rule and Hostage - Robert Crais
Royal Assassin and Assassin's Quest - Robin Hobb

All in all, for under $30.00, it was a pretty sweet book buying day!

message 20: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 108 comments Tonight I found the audio book of The Collector by Nora Roberts on iTunes for $5.95 and I pre-ordered The One (The Selection, #3) by Kiera Cass on my Nook.

message 21: by Marianthi (new)

Marianthi I got 56 titles for free as eBooks on Amazon and ARE. I am happy. My bet is still going and I have spent nada, zip, zilch so far.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Scott wrote: "Hit up the used book store yesterday and found some good deals in the clearance, yay me!

Clearance (all $1.00)
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Jurassic Park ..."

I really, really, really need to get Lonesome dove. It's been on my wishlist forever and comes so highly recommended by a few friends. I haven't ran into it in a used bookstore yet so will buy it new sometime if I ever can remember when I'm at the bookstore. Always slips my mind. Great books for you for $1.00 each!

message 23: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Picked up these three today:

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (paperback, $5)
Dry by Augusten Burroughs (paperback, $1)
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (hardcover, $1, already own this one but in paperback)

The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon Dry by Augusten Burroughs Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

message 24: by Scott (new)

Scott (thekeeblertree) @Erin I was super stoked I found so many good buys for that cheap. Funnily enough a friend was just telling me the other day I needed to read Lonesome Dove and then, boom, found it on my next shopping trip. And actually I just remembered I left out Watership Down - Richard Adams from my list. It was an excellent day of book shopping!

message 25: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Castle | 105 comments Caroline wrote: "Shauna wrote: "Gun Games A Decker/Lazarus Novel (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, #20) by Faye KellermanCaught by Harlan CobenPeach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7) by Joanne Fluke[bookcover:Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and..."

My church's annual yard sale. I stock up every year. The Harlan Coben book was in hardcover and in perfect condition. It alone was worth the trip.

message 26: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) | 99 comments I love used Hardcover...can't afford $25-$40 new. But when I do get one in great shape I am jumping for joy!!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Shauna wrote: "Caroline wrote: "Shauna wrote: "Gun Games A Decker/Lazarus Novel (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus, #20) by Faye KellermanCaught by Harlan CobenPeach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7) by Joanne Fluke[bookcover:Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad ..."

I wish my local church would have a sale like that. I'd be on the door step before they even opened!

message 28: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie wow, nice finds guys! I'm resolved not to spend any money on books this month, saving up for a weekend trip to NYC with my mom the first weekend in June -- so I'll have to break down and actually read the stuff I've collected in the last month (le gasp) or go to the library (le GASP). yay for May!

message 29: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Got these four today:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (hardcover, $5)
August: Osage County by Tracy Letts (paperback, $1)
Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (paperback, $1)
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (paperback, $1, a favorite from my childhood!! Felt so much nostalgia when I saw it!)

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach August Osage County by Tracy Letts Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

message 30: by Joseph (new)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Today I got Life of Pi by Yann Martel No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy The Suspicions Of Mr Whicher Or The Murder At Road Hill House by Kate Summerscale A Sweet Obscurity by Patrick Gale for 50p each.
I also picked up Goodnight, Beautiful by Dorothy Koomson and Room by Emma Donoghue for my sister who lives abroad so I didn't want to lend her my copies! They were 50p each too.

Total books for May: 18
Total spent: £8.49

message 32: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz Took a bus ride out with my parents to the coast today and picked up these two in charity shops there for 99p and 45p respectively:

The Bull of Minos by Leonard Cottrell
The Bull of Minos by Leonard Cottrell

The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin, #19) by Patrick O'Brian
The Hundred Days by Patrick O'Brian

saw a few others that looked interesting but didn't buy them as I know I'll be going near a lot of good bookshops over the next few weeks so thought it better to show at least 'some' restraint today.

Mariel (TheCrownedGoddessReads) (marieru) | 88 comments So far A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison and Saga, Volume 3 by Brian K. Vaughan

I'm thinking 3 or 4 more books before the end of the month.

message 34: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Picked up these 4:

The Dinner by Herman Koch (paperback, $8)
Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (paperback, $1)
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (paperback, $1)
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (hardcover, no dust jacket, $1. I already own this in paperback)

The Dinner by Herman Koch Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Two more today for £1.50

Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Jill Mansell Safe House by Chris Ewan

Total books for May: 20
Total spent: £9.99

message 37: by Joseph (new)

Some more deliveries arrived:
New: Otherwise Engaged by Amanda Quick Palace of Dreams by Adam Jay Epstein
Used: Kahless by Michael Jan Friedman Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1) by Kylie Logan Werewolf in Alaska (Wild About You, #5) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Signing Their Lives Away by Denise Kiernan

Michelle Sedai ☆of the Brown Ajah☆ (michellekobus) Joseph wrote: "Some more deliveries arrived:
New: Otherwise Engaged by Amanda QuickPalace of Dreams by Adam Jay Epstein
Used: Kahless by Michael Jan FriedmanMayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1) by Kylie Logan[book..."

I love The Familiars!! I've only read the first two books, though.

message 40: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments A Trail of Fire by Diana Gabaldon Finally came in the mail today!

message 41: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments Just back from a library book sale spent $11.00. Got for my husband More Than Complete Hitchhikers Guide hb by Douglas Adams and The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams in hb. For myself I got the Crowing Glory of Cala Lily Ponde by Rebecca Wells hb, Winter of the World by Ken Follett hb, AWeek in Winter by Maeve Binchy hb, Voyager by Diana Gabaldon in hb to replace my paper copy, Whiskey Beach by Nora Roberts hb, and A bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks hb

message 42: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments Son: Son (The Giver #4) by Lois Lowry by Lois Lowry and The Treatment: The Treatment (The Program, #2) by Suzanne Young by Suzanne Young

message 43: by Cammie (new)

Cammie | 108 comments I bought A Different Sun by Elaine Neil Orr and My Utmost for His Highest Classic Edition by Oswald Chambers tonight.

message 45: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Bought these 2 today:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt (hardcover, $15)
Tales from the Crypt by Jack Oleck (paperback, $1)

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt Tales from the Crypt by Jack Oleck

message 46: by Lin (new)

Lin | 266 comments Had a really good day. Went to a Books A Million store for a book signing. They had 10 female authors that all write Romance for a book signing got 10 books I already own signed. Bought 4 trade size books, got 3 of them signed today. The Professional by Kelsey Cole, signed. Thoughtless by S C Stephens, signed If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones, signed. Melting The Ice by Jaci Burton, not signed. Also bought a new Coach purse, just because I wanted it and tomorrow is Mother's Day

message 47: by Cammie (last edited May 10, 2014 07:13PM) (new)

Cammie | 108 comments Last night I bought the audio of The Chance by Karen Kingsbury on iTunes for $5.95 and this afternoon I sold a bag full if books to Half Price Books I came home with
Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10) by Janet Evanovich Eleven on Top (Stephanie Plum, #11) by Janet Evanovich and The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers

message 48: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I feel really happy this week because I found a copy of Trainspotting in the local charity shop.

message 49: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments Possession (Fallen Angels, #5) by J.R. Ward Came out in paperback this week! Picked it up while shopping this weekend.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Got two from charity shops today at £1.00 each.

Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Total books for May: 22
Total spent: £11.99

« previous 1 3