Fans of Christian Romance discussion

Group Reads > May 2014 - The Amish Midwife - Mindy Starns Clark

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) For May 2014, we are reading The Amish Midwife by Mindy Starns Clark.

The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1) by Mindy Starns Clark

Summary: A dusty carved box containing two locks of hair and a century-old letter regarding property in Switzerland, and a burning desire to learn about her biological family lead nurse-midwife Lexie Jaeger from her home in Oregon to the heart of Pennsylvania Amish country. There she meets Marta Bayer, a mysterious lay-midwife who desperately needs help after an Amish client and her baby die.

Lexie steps in to assume Marta's patient load even as she continues the search for her birth family, and from her patients she learns the true meaning of the Pennsylvania Dutch word "demut, "which means "to let be" as she changes from a woman who wants to control everything to a woman who depends on God.

A compelling story about a search for identity and the ability to trust that God securely holds our whole life--past, present, and future.

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 136 comments The summary on the back cover of The Amish Midwife (The Women of Lancaster County, #1) by Mindy Starns Clark was what piqued my interest a few years ago.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 136 comments I flipped through the book recently to refresh my memory. I love how complicated the relationships between the characters are, but I still cannot stand the fact that Lexie's adoptive parents hid the truth from her when it would have been nice to know something about her biological parents when she was younger.

message 4: by Natalie (last edited May 01, 2014 07:28AM) (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 136 comments Paraphrasing the third Discussion Question at the end of the book, "A study shows that over half of Americans have some personal experience or connections with adoption. What is your connection with adoption and how has the book changed your view of it?"

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 136 comments In my opinion, this is one of the best discussions I've seen in awhile. Even though I'm not adopted, I know of several people are. I would say that my view of adoption hasn;t changed much since reading the book. If anything, I am even more convinced that I should adopt at some point if I cannot have biological than I was before.

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 136 comments I have read the rest of the series: The Amish Nanny (The Women of Lancaster County, #2) by Mindy Starns Clark , The Amish Bride (Women of Lancaster County #3) by Mindy Starns Clark , and The Amish Seamstress (Women of Lancaster County #4) by Mindy Starns Clark . I enjoyed the whole series.

message 7: by Natalie (last edited May 01, 2014 07:33AM) (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 136 comments I am also excited to read the first two books in the spin-off series, The Amish Groom (The Men of Lancaster County, #1) by Mindy Starns Clark and The Amish Blacksmith (The Men of Lancaster County, #2) by Mindy Starns Clark by Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner. This series, The Men of Lancaster County, looks at the Amish lifestyle and that genre of romance from a male perspective. Not sure if/when there will be a third book.