The Reader's Bar discussion

Harlem Redux
This topic is about Harlem Redux
Open for Discussion > May Book Discussion-Harlem Redux

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Please post your comments about this book below. Happy Reading!

Beverly | 223 comments I look forward to reading this book. I have read other books by the author and have enjoyed her writing style.

Beverly | 223 comments Here is a link to the author's website. There is also a discussion guide for the book:

http://persiawalker.com/

I will not be able to start reading until the middle of the month as I have the print book and will be out of town until May 19th attending two book conferences and I now only take ebooks on trips.

Beverly wrote: "Here is a link to the author's website. There is also a discussion guide for the book:

http://persiawalker.com/

I will not be able to start reading until the middle of the month as I have the pri..."

Thank you for the information. I am still waiting for my library copy to come. I am hoping that it comes soon.

Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments hi ladies! i've been reading since february..haha not an indication of what i think of it, just super crazed..lol

i'm halfway through now and i think that things have picked up a bit for me....overall a pretty good mystery so far. i have tons of unanswered questions in my head now: what happened to david's sisters? what happened with gem's boyfriend? and what's the real story with rachel and annie, what's david's big secret??? and i'm only halfway done...lol i think there are going to be some big surprises in store.

Lindor wrote: "hi ladies! i've been reading since february..haha not an indication of what i think of it, just super crazed..lol

i'm halfway through now and i think that things have picked up a bit for me....ov..."

I cannot wait to get started.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?"

I'm having a hard time getting into this book.

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?"

I'm having a hard time getting into this book."

Oh ok. That is not a good sign. I just picked up my copy from the library. I plan to get started this week.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?"

Oh ok. That is not a good sign. ..."

I can't wait until it gets to something in the book where I can understand where all this mystery derives from.

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments i finished a few days ago. i think that i was halfway through before i really started turning pages quickly. it did win me over a bit at that point, but in the beginning i recall feeling the same way that lethea did

what part are you up to now, lethea?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Lindor wrote: "i finished a few days ago. i think that i was halfway through before i really started turning pages quickly. it did win me over a bit at that point, but in the beginning i recall feeling the same..."

Page 24....he's in the club in the grocery store

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?"

I am going to start reading today. Has the book gotten any better?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?"

I am going to start reading toda..."

Yes...mysterious and becoming a page turner!

message 15: by Denise (last edited May 17, 2014 02:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?"

I am going to sta..."

Ok, great. That is good to hear. You had me worried for a minute. Lol

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Has anyone started reading this book? If so, what are your first impressions of it?"

I ..."

Me as well

What do you think of David?

message 18: by Mahoghani 23 (last edited May 19, 2014 04:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) I wish they would just go ahead and let the cat out of the bag. This secret better be good or I'm going to be upset. David seems like a very haunted man. It's amazing the guilt parent's instill in their children even into their adult lives.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Guess what? I won a book off one if the giveaways!

message 20: by Denise (last edited May 19, 2014 04:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lethea wrote: "Guess what? I won a book off one if the giveaways!"

Nice. Congrats. Which one did you win?

Lethea wrote: "I wish they would just go ahead and let the cat out of the bag. This secret better be good or I'm going to be upset. David seems like a very haunted man. It's amazing the guilt parent's instill in..."

My thoughts exactly. I keep wondering what is his secret and when are they going to tell us what it is. lol

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments lol...i love winning the free books as well...they need to start giving out free e-books.

i had the same feelings that you ladies did regarding David's secret. Honestly I was a bit let down about that. I was thinking ALL TYPES of things regarding what it could be and my guesses were a lot worse, in my opinion...lol

what guesses do you ladies have?

what do you think happened to lillian?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Lindor wrote: "lol...i love winning the free books as well...they need to start giving out free e-books.

i had the same feelings that you ladies did regarding David's secret. Honestly I was a bit let down about..."

I haven't gotten the secret yet. Everyone else in the book knows but me...lol! I thought about Lillian being poisoned but it's so much going on in this book, I'm lost sometimes. As they say everyone has a different story.

Lindor wrote: "lol...i love winning the free books as well...they need to start giving out free e-books.

i had the same feelings that you ladies did regarding David's secret. Honestly I was a bit let down about..."

I am not sure. It seems like he was supposed to do an important job for the movement but he ran instead.

I also think that maybe someone drugged her to make her think/act like she was going crazy.

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments Have you guys "met" Nella yet? What do you think of her? She grew on me as the book progressed.

message 26: by Mahoghani 23 (last edited May 19, 2014 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Lindor wrote: "Have you guys "met" Nella yet? What do you think of her? She grew on me as the book progressed."

Once David called her out for being lonely, I understood why she acted the way she does.

That Jameson Sweet is another story.....just as slick as oil on asphalt.

Annie uses the Bible and cliche's to get her point across. I'm waiting on Gem to come back. Better yet, I think Lillian might have killed Gem so that she could escape into her life and out of that dreadful house.

Carmen Lang | 29 comments Just picked this book up from the library. First time reading anything by this author. Always love to find new authors.

Lindor wrote: "Have you guys "met" Nella yet? What do you think of her? She grew on me as the book progressed."

I have just been introduced to Nella and she seems like an opportunist.

Lethea wrote: "Lindor wrote: "Have you guys "met" Nella yet? What do you think of her? She grew on me as the book progressed."

Once David called her out for being lonely, I understood why she acted the way she..."

Jameson seems sneaky.

I see how you could think that. I am to the point where David is reading Lillian's journal. She seems to wish that she could be free like Gem.

I saw that you are done now. I need to hurry up and catch up. lol

Carmen wrote: "Just picked this book up from the library. First time reading anything by this author. Always love to find new authors."

This is my first time reading anything by this author too. So far it is an interesting book. Let us know what you think as you work your way through the book.

What did you think of the author's writing style?

Who was your favorite character?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lindor wrote: "Have you guys "met" Nella yet? What do you think of her? She grew on me as the book progressed."

I have just been introduced to Nella and she seems like an opportunist."

She just wants to fit in somewhere. A man that gives her everything but himself....lonely woman.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Who was your favorite character?"

The West Indies guy; I can't believe I can't remember his name. The guy may be a gangster but he really helped David out when he needed it.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "What did you think of the author's writing style?"

At the beginning I just wanted to return the book to the library. She wrote similar to the show "Pretty Little Liars." Everyone had a secret they thought could remain unknown.

She detailed a period that most of us know only about through history and a time that was full of fun, unrest and no justice for blacks. Sometimes I think she extended the storyline out and then other times it's right on point.

David's secret wasn't as surprising as finding out the truth between Rachel, Gem, Lillian & Jameson.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Lindor wrote: "Have you guys "met" Nella yet? What do you think of her? She grew on me as the book progressed."

Once David called her out for being lonely, I understood why she ac..."

Take your time...you have a week left....lol!

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "What did you think of the author's writing style?"

At the beginning I just wanted to return the book to the library. She wrote similar to the show "Pretty Little Liars." Everyone ha..."

I finally read about David's secret. I agree that it was not that shocking given the time period that he was living in. I also found it interesting that he said the Movement encouraged him to get by that way in order to do his job for them but it seemed that they did not like when they found out how he was living in Philadelphia.

message 38: by Denise (last edited May 23, 2014 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "What did you think of the author's writing style?"

At the beginning I just wanted to return the book to the library. She wrote similar to the show "Pretty Little Liars." Everyone ha..."

I am looking forward to finding out how everyone is connected. I am starting to worry about Rachel's intentions and her connection to Sweet.

What are your thoughts on Anne? It seems to me that she knows what is going on but does not want to tell the whole story.

Do you agree with David's relationship with Rachel?

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments what were you prior guesses regarding David? i was thinking maybe was g ay or was secretly getting revenge/kiling lynchers or something along those lines. I completely understood where he was coming from with the whole passing thing. I honestly can't see how folks even back then could be THAT mad at him considering the heinous things that took place back then. That lynching scene has been stuck in my head for so many reasons and I normally try to stay away from books/movies that deal w/that era for that reason.

What made you worry about Rachel?

I agreed w/David's relationship w/Rachel at first. They (he and Lillian) did her so dirty. Plus back in those days folks didn't really get married with fairytale ideas in their heads like we do nowadays.

How do you feel about their relationship?

message 42: by Denise (last edited May 24, 2014 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindor wrote: "what were you prior guesses regarding David? i was thinking maybe was g ay or was secretly getting revenge/kiling lynchers or something along those lines. I completely understood where he was com..."

Initially I became worried about Rachel because she kept telling David to forget about pinning his sister's death on Sweet. I figured that she was doing this because of their past/current relationship. I had a feeling that she knew he was guilty and was trying to protect him. The second thing that bothered me about her was that she was so concerned with David's material possessions and social connections. That seemed to be what she loved the most about him. I thought she might have been involved a little but not to the degree that I found out that she was.

What are your thoughts on the ending?

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Who was your favorite character?"

The West Indies guy; I can't believe I can't remember his name. The guy may be a gangster but he really helped David out when he needed it."

I thought it was interesting that the people who should have been his biggest enemies ended up helping him the most.

Do you think that the title fit the novel?

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Lindor wrote: "Have you guys "met" Nella yet? What do you think of her? She grew on me as the book progressed."

Once David called her out for being lonely, I unders..."

I am finally done. lol

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments lol...i can't believe that all of us gave it the same rating. i began to suspect Rachel once she became so adamant about David just accepting that Lillian killed herself...she seemed too pushy about making him let it go.

i thought the jail scene was interesting. at first i thought that it was dragging (when he was chattng with Ray). but when David made the point about what the Black soliders gained by being in France, I was floored.

if the story had been set in today's era, the ending wouldn't have worked for me. but since they were back in the 20's i think it was somewhat realistic.

what did you ladies think of annie's secret??? i'd figured out that she and the father probably had something going on...butttt the relationship between her and david????? i thought that came out of nowhere

Lindor wrote: "lol...i can't believe that all of us gave it the same rating. i began to suspect Rachel once she became so adamant about David just accepting that Lillian killed herself...she seemed too pushy abo..."

Yeah, that was a little bit of some extra drama but it explained why she treated him the way that she did.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Carmen wrote: "Just picked this book up from the library. First time reading anything by this author. Always love to find new authors."

How are you liking it, Carmen?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "What did you think of the author's writing style?"

At the beginning I just wanted to return the book to the library. She wrote similar to the show "Pretty Little Liar..."

I agree. They were sending him down south to investigate. He couldn't go down there as a black man. Because he showed so much concern for Jonah he almost got lynched himself. Then I thought the sheriff was there to help him only to catch up with him in the next town. The way they left him, I'm glad he still kept his sanity. Maybe the "dark-skinned" negroes should have went down south....judgmental folks when it's not beneficial to them

« previous 1