YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
This topic is about The Selection
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > The Selection: How Romance heavy is it?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Micah (new)

Micah (sinvega) | 10 comments Preface: I am a guy, I am 18 and Gay :P I do love YA(its my main genre) but i can't stand books with insufferable Female love interest who can't think or act for themselves without a Male's help.

That said, I am curious about the selection. I know it was meant to be a show and i hear the books are great but if it is a romance heavy(I don't mind Romance but i actually want the characters to be about something more than love and have personality) i am not sure i wanna read it :D

Leave your thoughts and do you recommend it to me?

Recommend it to me not because you are a fan but tell me why I should read it ;D

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82923 comments Mod
The selection does have romance, although its not the sort of all-consuming romance that you would expect to find in a romance novel. there are flirty moments between american and aspen, and between america and maxon, but there are other things going on. there's backstabbing and bitching, as well as a bit of political stuff. the girls fight between themselves a bit, and there is obviously some jealously.

I really loved this series, but i really isn't for everybody, its one of those that you'll either love or hate I think. Do you have an ereader? it might be worth downloading the sample from amazon kindle (either onto a kindle or a computer), just to see what the writing is like for you. It's obviously quite difficult to know who will like something and who won't! ☺

message 3: by Tessa (last edited May 01, 2014 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments but i can't stand books with insufferable Female love interest who can't think or act for themselves without a Male's help.
America is kinda in between. She's not really insufferable, but she's not a strong female lead either.

Also, the romance is the main plot in this book, light romance: loosing it and finding it again.

I recommend Graceling if you want to see a strong female lead and decent romance that is not the main plot of the story. Just the first book, the other 2 were about other characters and were a little (a lot) boring.

but tell me why I should read it
If you're into twirling, a hot prince and bitch slapping then you might like it.

Oh gosh, fire and bitterblue were torture! How did the author go so wrong after graceling?

Tessa | 1951 comments Sarah wrote: "Oh gosh, fire and bitterblue were torture! How did the author go so wrong after graceling?"

I don't know. Kristin Cashore is still a very talented writer. I actually think the writing got better with each new book, but God, did she forgot to make her plot interesting...

Unlike her, Kiera Cass does make her stories interesting, her character development and writing could use a little more work though.

I just like her writing for some reason. Aspen is freaking annoying though!

message 7: by Tessa (last edited May 01, 2014 11:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tessa | 1951 comments Sarah wrote: "I just like her writing for some reason. Aspen is freaking annoying though!"

I'm a Maxon fan all the way, but I can't really blame Aspen either. I feel America dragged them both by being indecisive. That's why I kinda hated her in the second book: make up your mind damn it, you can't have them both... <.<

Maxon has his flaws as well.

Best part of this series are the amazing covers. I feel like buying this just to stare at the pretty covers.

Yeah, (view spoiler)

Tessa | 1951 comments (view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.