Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > July 2014 Nominations Contemporary

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by MK (last edited May 02, 2014 06:11AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nominations for July 2014's Contemporary Classics Group Read are now open! Nominate away! (edit, books previously read by the group are ineligible; link to bookshelf - https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... )

Important!

The current 'group working definition' of "What is a Contemporary Classic" can be found here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/.... For now, use that as a guideline for your nominations in this section (Contemporary Classics).

We will be putting up a poll within a few days, with some options for clarifying the parameters for what our group will consider eligible to be nominated in this section going forward. Options will be culled from the discussion thread opened to discuss the topic. If you'd like to add your input, please do so soon, as poll will launch shortly. Discussion thread for parameters for the Contemporary Classic section is here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Edit to add: One nomination per member, please! And also, if you don't have a book you'd like to nominate, but do like someone else's nomination, please second it! It will give a good indication, pre-poll, of favorite books :).

---

(The previous month's Contemporary Classic nominations can be found here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .)

message 2: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 04:23AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments July is a busy month for holidays around the world!

Some of the countries celebrating national holidays in July:

Argentina
Bangladesh
Canada
Chile
Columbia
Czech Republic
France
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Peru
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Thailand
Uruguay
USA
Venezuala

more at source - http://portalseven.com/calendar/Holid...

There are also plenty of wacky holidays to celebrate in July too!

JULY 1: NATIONAL CREATIVE ICE CREAM FLAVOR DAY
JULY 2: WORLD UFO DAY
JULY 4: SIDEWALK EGG FRYING DAY
JULY 6: INTERNATIONAL KISSING DAY
JULY 8: INTERNATIONAL TOWN CRIERS DAY

more at source - http://mentalfloss.com/article/31067/...

... just in case you're looking for a theme for your nominations :D.

message 3: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I'd like to nominate Orlando by Virginia Woolf.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited May 01, 2014 06:42AM) (new)

Rachel I would like to nominate Breakfast of Championsby Kurt Vonnegut.

It was published in 1973, so I think that qualifies.

message 5: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Rachel wrote: "I would like to nominate Breakfast of Championsby Kurt Vonnegut.

It was published in 1973, so I think that qualifies."

It does! And, I'm about to read that one right now. Good one, Rachel :D

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel MK wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I would like to nominate Breakfast of Championsby Kurt Vonnegut.

It was published in 1973, so I think that qualifies."

It does! And, I'm about to read that one right no..."

Thanks MK! Can't wait to see the other nominees.

message 7: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments Alissa wrote: "I'd like to nominate Brave New World by Aldous Huxley"

I think this one has already been a group read??

message 8: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Crap! haha you're right. Thanks Kelly!

I change my answer to The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

message 9: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 07:52AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Kelly wrote: "Alissa wrote: "I'd like to nominate Brave New World by Aldous Huxley"

I think this one has already been a group read??"

It was! (great book, too :D). Thanks for the catch, Kel!
Alissa, go ahead and nominate it in the "Revisiting the Shelf" section, if you haven't already.

Per suggestions from the mod-squad *grin*, I've edited my top post to include the following:

Edit to add: One nomination per member, please! And also, if you don't have a book you'd like to nominate, but do like someone else's nomination, please second it! It will give a good indication, pre-poll, of favorite books :).

message 10: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments if it hasn't already been read, I'd like to nominate "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton.

message 11: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Leanne wrote: "if it hasn't already been read, I'd like to nominate "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton."

Here's a link to our bookshelf, Leanne :) ~
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_...

(no, that Wharton title hasn't been read yet *smile*)

message 12: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) | 31 comments MK wrote: "Leanne wrote: "if it hasn't already been read, I'd like to nominate "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton."

Here's a link to our bookshelf, Leanne :) ~
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/list_......"

Sorry MK, I was on the app and I'm impatient lol

message 13: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments No apology necessary, Leanne! I use the app often, and I know you can't get there without a link. I just overlooked it. My bad :D

message 14: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments (I did edit my top post, to include the link, thanks for the reminder! :D )

message 15: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 376 comments How about Hiroshima by John Hersey? I've always felt bad that I didn't read it in high school.

message 17: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 376 comments Julie wrote: "I nominate The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck"

Good choice, Julie. So relevant to today's world.

message 18: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I'll nominate Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh

message 19: by Maddie (last edited May 01, 2014 04:31PM) (new)

Maddie (shoegirl81) | 68 comments I'll second The Chocolate War.

message 20: by Kris (new)

message 21: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments I shall nominate, after days of waiting, The Call of the Wild by Jack London.

message 22: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 05:07PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments .
Books Nominations So Far:

1. Kelly - Orlando by Virginia Woolf
2. Rachel - Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
3. Alissa - The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (1 second)
4. Leanne - The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
5. Kirsten - Hiroshima by John Hersey
6. Julie - The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
7. Pink - Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh
8. Kristi - The Pale King by David Foster Wallace
9. Matt - Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner
10. Aidan - The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Seconds:

Maggie - The Chocolate War

message 23: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Matt wrote: "EDIT: It is a much easier book than its predecessor! ..."

You're almost selling me! :D

What about Light in August? Do you know much about that one? I've heard that might be a good first Faulker to start with? (I read one in hs, but that was too long ago ;-) )

message 24: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments May I nominate two?

message 25: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Aidan wrote: "May I nominate two?"

No, just one. Sorry!

message 26: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments That's not very limited, Matt ;-). That's great! Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)

message 27: by AC (new)

AC (spooktun3) | 44 comments MK wrote: "Aidan wrote: "May I nominate two?"

No, just one. Sorry!"

In that case, could you please give me your opinion:

The Call of the Wild, with its sentences that take you five days to read each, or White Fang, with so many protagonists that you get confused who is the one who antagonizes.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I am new here, I will be brave and second Breakfast of Champions :-)

message 29: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 05:37PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lisa wrote: "Since I am new here, I will be brave and second Breakfast of Champions :-)"

You can second, AND nominate, if you'd like Lisa. Don't worry about being new, about half of the membership has only been here for 3 weeks *grin*

(We had a big membership explosion in the last few weeks b/c our group was chosen as one of the four 'featured groups' on the Groups Home Page, around mid-April.)

message 30: by Lars (new)

Lars Trodson (lars_trodson) | 5 comments I would like to nominate a most beautiful book that I think has all but been forgotten, "Mister Roberts" by Thomas Heggen. He only wrote this one book - he died young - and even though it was made into a beloved movie with Henry Fonda, Jack Lemmon and James Cagney, that movie did not capture the calm beauty of this little book. Just a gem about Navy life in World War II.

message 31: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Aidan wrote: "In that case, could you please give me your opinion:

The Call of the Wild, with its sentences that take you five days to read each, or White Fang, with so many protagonists that you get confused who is the one who antagonizes. "

Aidan, I apologize, I skipped over your post. I didn't see it. Nicolas has already seconded your The Call of the Wild, so how about that one? *grin*

I would love to read both eventually, so either is fine with me!

message 32: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Lars wrote: "I would like to nominate a most beautiful book that I think has all but been forgotten, "Mister Roberts" by Thomas Heggen. He only wrote this one book - he died young - and even though it was made ..."

I had never heard of that one before, Lars. Thanks for nominating it! It does look wonderful :)
Mister Roberts by Thomas Heggen Mister Roberts by Thomas Heggen

message 33: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nicolas wrote: "I´ll nominate A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I´ll second The Call of the Wild."

I definitely want to read that one too!

Soooo many great books

message 34: by MK (last edited May 01, 2014 08:25PM) (new)

Books Nominations So Far:

2. Rachel - Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (1 second)
4. Leanne - The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
10. Aidan - The Call of the Wild by Jack London (1 second)
11. Lars - Mister Roberts by Thomas Heggen

Seconds:

Lisa - Breakfast of Champions
Nicolas - The Call of the Wild

message 35: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4710 comments Mod
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a past read and on our bookshelf. Maybe Nicolas can nominate it on the Revisit the Shelf.

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4710 comments Mod
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a past read and on our bookshelf. Maybe Nicolas can nominate it on the Revisit the Shelf.

message 37: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Bob wrote: "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a past read and on our bookshelf. Maybe Nicolas can nominate it on the Revisit the Shelf."

Oh! Thankyou. Editing list. :)

Nicolas, here is the link to the Revisit the Shelf sectioin, go ahead and nominate it over there:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 38: by Richard (last edited May 01, 2014 08:53PM) (new)

Richard I nominate Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
Mrs. Dalloway
and second Mr. Roberts.

message 39: by Sheetal (new)

Sheetal Dash (SheetalDash) | 3 comments I nominate The Catcher in the Rye by J.D salinger and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

message 40: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9115 comments Mod
I'll second On the Beach

message 41: by Edīte (new)

Edīte I`ll second Mrs. Dalloway or third Orlando

message 42: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 19 comments I would like to nominate We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

message 43: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4710 comments Mod
Sheetal wrote: "I nominate The Catcher in the Rye by J.D salinger and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut."

Sheetal, these books are past reads and on the bookshelf, feel free to nominate them on the revisit the shelf nominations.

message 44: by Alissa (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I third the nomination for Age of Innocence.

message 46: by MK (last edited May 02, 2014 06:15AM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Sheetal wrote: "I nominate The Catcher in the Rye by J.D salinger and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut."

Sheetal, you can only make one nomination. HOWEVER *grin*, you're in luck, because the group has already read Slaughterhouse, so that one is ineligible to be nominated for a new group read, anyway.

(Edit to add: I just saw Bob's note. He is correct, Catcher is also a past read, and thus ineligible. I checked by title, and the system alphabetized it with the T's, rather than the C's, so I missed it :p. Thanks for the 'catch!', Bob :).

Link to Revisit the Shelf - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... )

BTW, we JUST read that one in April. Pop over to the discussion threads and join in, if you're interested in reading it! ( link - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group... )

message 47: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Bob wrote: "Sheetal wrote: "I nominate The Catcher in the Rye by J.D salinger and Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut."

Sheetal, these books are past reads and on the bookshelf, feel ..."

Thanks for the catch! I didn't see your post, before I posted. :)

message 48: by MK (last edited May 02, 2014 06:22AM) (new)

Book Nominations So Far:

2. Rachel - Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut (1 second)
4. Leanne - The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (2 seconds)
10. Aidan - The Call of the Wild by Jack London (1 second)
11. Lars - Mister Roberts by Thomas Heggen (1 second)
12. Duane - On the Beach by Nevil Shute
13. Richard - Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (1 second)
14. Claudia - We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

Seconds:

Lisa - Breakfast of Champions
Nicolas - The Call of the Wild
Richard - Mr. Roberts
Kathy - On the Beach
Alissa - The Age of Innocence
Andrea IS Catsos Person - The Age of Innocence

message 49: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Edīte wrote: "I`ll second Mrs. Dalloway or third Orlando"

Edite, which one would you like to choose? :)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

MK wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Since I am new here, I will be brave and second Breakfast of Champions :-)"

You can second, AND nominate, if you'd like Lisa. Don't worry about being new, about half of th..."

Thanks MK :-) In that case I would like to nominate The Handmaid's Tale. It looks as though it came in 2nd place recently, but it is on my "to-read" bookshelf & have been patiently waiting for my turn to borrow it through my local library!!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.