Banned Books discussion

BANNED BOOKS GROUP READS > Brave New World

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
This topic is for the discussion of the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. If it your comment contains spoilers, please put it in spoiler tags. (Remove the hyphens.)

<-spoiler-> text containing spoiler <-/spoiler->

If you do it right, it will look like this:
(view spoiler)

Anybody want to lead the discussion?

message 2: by Janet Flora (new)

Janet Flora Corso (janflora) | 4 comments I haven't read far enough to discuss much, but am ready to read this weekend!

message 3: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 2 comments I'm still waiting for my copy from the library. I'm on the wait list, but not a long wait, I'm the only one, lol. I will take part in the discussions when I get the book and start reading. :)

message 4: by Janet Flora (last edited May 07, 2014 04:30AM) (new)

Janet Flora Corso (janflora) | 4 comments Finished this weekend. I have been wanting to read this book for ages. It was one of those that was taught in high school as a group project, but I was in a different group, so I 'knew' the story, themes, etc without having actually read it :)

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina (regferk) | 17 comments I just got my copy and I'm anxious to get started. I was one of those that read 1984 instead of A Brave New World in high school.

message 6: by Janet Flora (new)

Janet Flora Corso (janflora) | 4 comments Is it too soon to discuss? Not plot, but the topic of meds in BNW? Obviously that's a big part of the story, so I will try hiding it (view spoiler)

message 7: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 2 comments I finished the book.

Janet, I agree with you. I will place the rest of my response in a spoiler. (view spoiler)

message 8: by JulieJoanne (new)

JulieJoanne | 1 comments This book was hard for me to get into. however..When I got about 50 pages into it, I couldn't wait to find out what out happened next. and finished it rather quickly.

message 9: by Janet Flora (new)

Janet Flora Corso (janflora) | 4 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I finished the book.

Janet, I agree with you. I will place the rest of my response in a spoiler. [spoilers removed]"

Agree, that was even weirder how having sex with everyone was expected. Though, I guess in some ways not too far off from truth now :) The reproduction part is of course the freakiest thing.

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (regferk) | 17 comments It is amazing that this book is 100 years old. It's held up well over time. There is still enough "off" to keep it feeling solidly like science fiction but there is so much that feels much too close to true - truer than when it was written.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) For some reason, this book caused me intense nostalgia, rang my 'hippie' bells. I think it's because I was a teen/young adult in the 1960's-1970's. My generation actually was attempting to bring on many of the things imagined in the novel, but in the context of civil rights, freedom from cultural mores, taking LSD and pot, feminism, equality, no more wars etc.

Anything that made our over-30 parents upset was fantastic.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 04, 2015 06:52PM) (new)

I like 1984 better because it is anticlerical, yet Brave New World is not too offensive, even though it is preachy.